300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How bad did I mess up?

So I went in for my interview, things went ok until I feel I definitely answered a question wrong. The interviewing officer proposed the following situation; You and 3 fellow officers are out fishing, when one of them (who you work with) pulls out a marijuana cigarette and starts to smoke it. What do you do?

I answered that I would tell him to put it out immediately, and explained the reason why. Here's where I think I messed up. When asked if I would report him to my supervisor, my common sense took a snooze, and me-ever being the boy scout, answered them honestly. I told them no, no I would not report him to my supervisor. And ever since then I've been kicking myself in the head.

So my question; have I pretty much bombed the interview? I know they say there are no right or wrong answers, but there are obviously undesirable answers. So. would those with experiences in these matters be willing to give their honest opinion?

Thanks
    Last edited by Veritas9; 05-13-2014, 10:31 PM.

MOSTLY there is no right or wrong answer. What is important is that you answered the question and defended your reasoning for that answer.

It's no different than the "Would you give your mother a ticket for _________________?"

If you REALLY think any officer is going to cite their own mother for a traffic violation ----------
    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas9 View Post
      So I went in for my interview, things went ok until I feel I definitely answered a question wrong. The interviewing officer proposed the following situation; You and 3 fellow officers are out fishing, when one of them (who you work with) pulls out a marijuana cigarette and starts to smoke it. What do you do?

I answered that I would tell him to put it out immediately, and explained the reason why. Here's where I think I messed up. When asked if I would report him to my supervisor, my common sense took a snooze, and me-ever being the boy scout, answered them honestly. I told them no, no I would not report him to my supervisor. And ever since then I've been kicking myself in the head.

So my question; have I pretty much bombed the interview? I know they say there are no right or wrong answers, but there are obviously undesirable answers. So. would those with experiences in these matters be willing to give their honest opinion?

Thanks
      As already noted- there is no “right or wrong” answer per se, but more the focus on how you answer and how you respond when questioned.

Granted, this is one of those difficult questions that put some folks into a moral/ethical tailspin.

By virtue of policy and general expectations you should report this to your supervisor. However since you are not yet bound by those policies or expectations it is reasonable to accept an answer that did not include arresting the smoker and promptly reporting it to the chain of command.
      Originally posted by SSD
      It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
      Originally posted by Iowa #1603
      And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
        MOSTLY there is no right or wrong answer. What is important is that you answered the question and defended your reasoning for that answer.

It's no different than the "Would you give your mother a ticket for _________________?"

If you REALLY think any officer is going to cite their own mother for a traffic violation ----------

I can name a few I'm sure would be familiar to you...

Comment

Originally posted by covman454 View Post
          i can name a few i'm sure would be familiar to you... :d
          yep..........................sush now

I know if I would have tried to ticket MY mother , I would have had to call for backup.

Comment

When asked if I would report him to my supervisor, my common sense took a snooze, and me-ever being the boy scout, answered them honestly. I told them no, no I would not report him to my supervisor.
            The problem isn't that you gave an honest answer, the problem is that this IS your honest answer.

If you REALLY think any officer is going to cite their own mother for a traffic violation ---
            My brother or father, no I probably wouldn't. I probably WOULD give my mother a citation just to see the look on her face. Thanksgiving would be awesome.
            Last edited by tanksoldier; 05-14-2014, 11:45 AM.
            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

In my opinion, I don't think your answer was terrible.

Here's why..
              1) There have been times where I've done exactly what you said you would've done. I've worked concerts and other events where I have more important things to do than make arrests or write tickets for someone smoking a joint. (The only difference is it wasn't a police officer)

2) You have not yet read the department's policy manual, which would likely tell you explicitly when you are required to notify a supervisor.

I think the scenario was deliberately set up so that there would be no one right answer. For instance, you're supposed to be out fishing somewhere, which is very different from lighting up a joint while driving down the highway or something like that. Danger to the public is minimal under those circumstances, so it wouldn't require any immediate action. Also the fact that you're out fishing implies that the officer is not likely to be going into work later that day.

Comment

Okay, let me take it in the opposite direction.

First, I have no idea which state you're processing in. In Colorado and Washington, it's legal.

BUT, we really have to be employed to know what the current "company" policy is in regards to MJ use.

HOWEVER, this hypothetical guy is really causing many questions to be asked, which cannot and should not be solved in this fishing scenario.

Who, what, where why and how need to be explored:

Purchased, from whom and where? Associating with criminals.

Brought from home? Cultivation.

Taken under color of authority? On-duty theft.

From the Evidence Locker/Room? On-duty theft and a big internal nightmare of tremendous proportion.
                "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

The answer you gave is not as bad as youmight think. Imagine if you answered ?

i would look at him funny but I'd take a small hit if he offered it to me.
                  Would you really ticket your mother for a stop sign ? How about a girl ( guy) you are dating? If you did that the next time you saw them would be in court.

Would you tell a supervisor? I don't think you bombed at all. You know you would not call the cops and have them arrested. The bosses have a great way of exposing a liar.

Consider this question, officer. i am your chief. You watch a vehicle run a stop sign.you initiate a stop and find out it's me behind the wheel.

Would you give me a citation?

Comment

You really need more information about the total event to make an informed answer.

(1) what time of day is it?
                    (2) what are you fishing for?
                    (3) what is the current moon phase?
                    (4) what are the weather conditions?

Because if it is a waxing moon and you are fishing for trout at 7 in the morning on a foggy day - you are going to need something to pass the time because it is going to be a LONG day......

Comment

Originally posted by TheTick
                      I would let him finish it (*) and then pick him up and throw him into the ****ing water.

* I would suspect that he would be receiving a drug test in short order at work based on us having Reasonable Suspicion Testing.
                      ^^^^^ Best response yet

Comment

Any answer is fine as long as there is a logical explanation behind it; e.g. I wouldn't report him but I would insist to him that he seek rehab or treatment immediately, etc.
                        I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

There was an oral prep class I attended decades ago. The board asked the cop seeking a promotion about an off-duty party he's hosting where (gasp!) his co-workers were "playing cards for money". He said he'd have to tell his sergeant.

The board tells him, his sergeant is playing, too. He says he'd tell the lieutenant.

They tell him the lieutenant is playing, too. He says he'd tell the captain.

Yep, they tell him the captain's winning most of the hands.

He gets frustrated and says he needs to go out and get a bigger card table.

The board is now puzzled and asks why.

He says the Police Chief, City Council, Mayor, Governor and President should be arriving at his home to play poker very soon!
                          Last edited by Kieth M.; 05-15-2014, 01:42 PM.
                          "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
                            There was an oral prep class I attended decades ago. The board asked the cop seeking a promotion about an off-duty party he's hosting where (gasp!) his co-workers were "playing cards for money". He said he'd have to tell his sergeant.

The board tells him, his sergeant is playing, too. He says he'd tell the lieutenant.

They tell him the lieutenant is playing, too. He says he'd tell the captain.

Yep, they tell him the captain's winning most of the hands.

He gets frustrated and says he needs to go out and get a bigger card table.

The board is now puzzled and asks why.

He says the Police Chief, City Council, Mayor, Governor and President should be arriving at his home to play poker very soon!
                            I was hosting a party one night ----------------the shift supervisor (Sgt) stopped by on the way home to see if he wanted to change clothes and come back after midnight. Yes there was adult beverages and card playing for money going on as well as a LOT of cigar smoke.

Seated around the table was my Lieutenant, another off duty Sgt, 1 supervisor and one line officer from the larger town in the county, 2 officers from the city we lived in & a Deputy US Marshal. Also the building manager (also a deputy sheriff) and several other deputies.

Gene(on duty Sgt) was planning on coming back----------------however there was a knock on the door........ and he was standing there (in full uniform) so he opened it---to see a neighbor who came to ask us to hold the noise down.

She saw the ON duty there in uniform , shook her head and quietly asked us to quiet down (this was her second attempt)

We did--------------------well I think we did, but there were no more complaints.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4071 users online. 224 members and 3847 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X