300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polygraph large department ?!?!

Hello everyone , I took my polygraph the other day for a large department. My examiner was very intense and basically very miserable person. I told the truth on everything and it was my first one I have ever taken. Before I was "hooked up" she was asking me multiple questions and playing head games with me such as telling me I said things I never did throughout her questions. I stuck to my guns the whole time and told her I know what I said and I did not say that. She also was talking SUPER fast and then asked if she was talking to fast for me I replied no you are not.

Anyways she then "hooked me up" administered the test and never said anything else other than asking me 2 sets of questions 4 times each. When the test was over she said nothing about it other than that was it and I could leave. I understand she has a job to do but I think she took it a little to far. So here I am wondering if I passed or failed, as I said before she never said anything to me regarding how I did. What do you guys/lady's think? Thoughts and opinions appreciated.
    Last edited by ThatNiceGuy; 05-11-2014, 05:30 PM.

1. With most departments you don't pass/fail a poly. They are an indicator, along with everything else.

2. Their job is to help keep people who shouldn't be cops from becoming cops. That's far more important than your feelings.

3. What you said or didn't say is irrelevant to us. That's between your examiner and your BI and you. It is what it is, and they will evaluate you however they evaluate you.

4. Your disrespect for your examiner reflects poorly on you. She DOES have a job to do. She already works in the field and has been thru everything you're going thru, and more, to reach her position. Are you going to feel the same way about your instructors? Your FTO? They all are going to take their jobs seriously, without too much consideration for your feelings. Bad guys don't care, bullets don't care, and you'd better get used to it.

5. If you found the poly examiner too rough, you'll have a hard time on the street. Are you sure this career is for you?
    Last edited by tanksoldier; 05-11-2014, 02:09 AM.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post

5. If you found the poly examiner too rough, you'll have a hard time on the street. Are you sure this career is for you?
      I hope he gets hired for the academy at least, if only because I look forward to the posts about how all the instructors are CLEARLY picking on him.

Comment

I don't know, the guy who did my Polly was a real as-hole and his actions and treatment were not called for. A truly good Investigator doesn't need to resort to that treatment and use those actions to get the truth and read a candidate.

The guy who did mine, is a miserable person in real life and there is a reason he does that for our department. OP I have passed 3 and failed on getting on the job. All same questions as well. In most cases if you’re squared away and told the truth then you should be set.
        MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by AppState View Post
          I hope he gets hired for the academy at least, if only because I look forward to the posts about how all the instructors are CLEARLY picking on him.
          The Academy is the time and place for that, not the hiring process IMO. We lose too many good candidates to that BS during the hiring process. Too many move on to other departments. Or they get on and remember that actions and move on 2 years later. Too many guys on forget what it was like getting on and going through the process.
          MDRDEP:

Comment

Thanks for the responses, and I don't believe me saying she was a miserable person means she was to hard on me. As I said before there is a difference between doing your job and just being a rotten person. Imagine if all cops were mean people, would it be ok because that's how they should do their job ? No, it would continue to make more people dislike cops.

Not to mention my examiner was 20 minutes late & the other examiner told me while I was waiting for her that my examiner " is a little rough around her edges so be extra nice ". Which I did so, I was very respectful to her despite her personality. Appreciate all of your opinions even if I don't agree.

Comment

If a poly was a useful tool in weeding out the bad apples, departments that utilize it would not have any issues with corruption, abusive officers, and basically thugs with badges. People don't all of a sudden become corrupt once they put on a badge.

I personally didn't become a cop to play with an Ouija board. What ever happened to the staunch defenders of the poly? They used to jump to the defense of the poly within minutes of a poly post.

The OP should thicken their skin a little. If you eventually get into law enforcement, you will find some of the greatest people you will ever meet on the job. You also will work with some of the most miserable, lazy, negative and doleful individuals that have walked the earth. Do not get pulled into their negativity and stick with the workers/winners.

Comment

Also is it common practice to have ur examiner say nothing whether you passed or failed or had any problems with the questions?

Comment

Originally posted by AllTreatedEqual View Post
                  Also is it common practice to have ur examiner say nothing whether you passed or failed or had any problems with the questions?
                  Yes, they are not going to tell you if you passed or not. Also, it is common practice for them to try and mess with your head before they hook you up to the machine. If you do not truly believe that machine can detect lies, it is not going to be effective on you!

Comment

The OP should thicken their skin a little. If you eventually get into law enforcement, you will find some of the greatest people you will ever meet on the job. You also will work with some of the most miserable, lazy, negative and doleful individuals that have walked the earth. Do not get pulled into their negativity and stick with the workers/winners.
                    That Bolded Part is Great Advice. All is, But that you need to work on
                    MDRDEP:

Comment

Yes.................it is not their job. Their job is to administer the exam.

Each polygraph examiner has their own style based on their training and experience AS WELL AS their own personality. Some polygraph examiners also are told to operate in a certain way during an employment examination.

It is what it is. You will either learn to put up with the situations you encounter in the hiring process or you won't . Polygraphs are not going to go away.------------they are a fact of life in many agencies and are only one tool used to assist the Chief/Sheriff/CEO in making a hiring decision.

While the hiring process is long, evolved and wearing on the candidate, it works most of the time. Remember it is not designed to be candidate friendly---------it is designed to help the agency pick the best candidate possible-. It is not perfect, but it does make decisions a bit easier based on past practices and some "science".
                      Last edited by Iowa #1603; 05-11-2014, 02:08 PM.
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post

4. Your disrespect for your examiner reflects poorly on you. She DOES have a job to do. She already works in the field and has been thru everything you're going thru, and more, to reach her position. Are you going to feel the same way about your instructors? Your FTO? They all are going to take their jobs seriously, without too much consideration for your feelings. Bad guys don't care, bullets don't care, and you'd better get used to it.
                        ?

This.^
                        Dont think for a second that recuriting divisons dont monitor this and other sites. It is not beyond the realm of possibility if a department that was recruiting you learned you spoke in such a sexist and disrepectful manner on a public forum, that department would most likely categorized you as "unsuitable" for employment.

Comment

Before I was "hooked up" she was asking me multiple questions and playing head games with me such as telling me I said things I never did throughout her questions. I stuck to my guns the whole time and told her I know what I said and I did not say that. She also was talking SUPER fast and then asked if she was talking to fast for me I replied no you are not. .
                          A MAJOR PART of the examination is PRIOR to being "hooked up".

I know for a fact that my examiner watched me from the moment I walked into the station the day my examination occurred.

We later became close friends------he explained his job in detail to me one day over coffee. He also explained pretty much every move I made that day including me scratching my nose while sitting in the chair in the lobby. (He was watching body language to compare when I was "relaxed" as opposed to "stressed"
                          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

My colleague from Iowa just gave some of the best possible advice. We are all good at reading the non-verbal signals that people give off. Anytime you are interacting with someone during the application process, you are being observed by someone. Your actions really can speak louder than words to those who know how to read them. Keep this in mind.
                            In God We Trust
                            Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

Thank you for ur replys , I just found it very odd that she did not even say have a nice day or go over how the exam went at all. Then again it was the first one I have taken that's why I asked for everyone's advice.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3340 users online. 185 members and 3155 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X