Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much are HS transcripts looked at?

First of all, I would like to thank everyone for the wealth of information posted. Almost all of my questions have been answered either by recent posts or by using that lovely search button.

Now for the question that I do not believe I have seen answered yet (I could be wrong, but I havn't seen it). In high school I screwed off quite a bit. I believe I graduated with a 2.9 GPA and had a lot of missed days because of dumb decisions to skip class. I never failed a class, but still was subpar compared to what I should have been doing. If all goes according to plan, I am on track to graduate an academy in June of 2015, thus getting my certification (not active as I will be self-sponsoring as is the usual in Michigan) as well as two associates, one in CJ and one in arts, all on the same day. What I am worried about is, how much are my HS transcripts going to come into play while in hiring processes?

For a little background into my college "career" so far:
    - Started college in the fall of 2013
    - I am going full time (at least 12 credits for fall / winter semesters and 6 credits for spring / summer semesters)
    - Have signed up for, and paid in full, the rest of my classes, excluding the academy, so I have my schedule for spring / summer / fall semesters of 2014 set in stone
    - Have a 3.5 cumulative GPA so far
    - Had to withdraw from one class, but by withdrawing the class doesn't hurt my cumulative GPA (My father is very ill at the moment, had to take him to medical appointments that interfered with that one class)

Because of the short time it took to get my two associates and my certification, along with the okay GPA, is there a chance that my HS choices may be overlooked? Yes, I do recognize that I made bad choices in high school, but what's done is done. Any and all advice / comments would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    DtownTigs
    On this job, the only thing that's black and white is the car. -Peter Malloy

Always do what's right, and if you do what's right, you won't have a problem. -My Father

R.I.P. Dad, 3/11/56 - 5/15/14

I don't know that High School transcripts are even looked at. I can only speak for my dept. and they just want to see that HS diploma. You have an Associates degree anyway, so it shouldn't matter at all.
    Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

No one is going to care about your high school grades. As long as you have a diploma you are alright.

Comment

Beautiful, that's what I was thinking / hoping but wasn't sure. Thank you Zeitgeist and CityCop21.

Always do what's right, and if you do what's right, you won't have a problem. -My Father

Comment

My Agency will look at your HS transcripts, but as my colleague has noted to you, the diploma is what's all important. You could have a 4.0 GPA, lack a diploma, and for that reason not make the cut.

You college record looks OK, so keep it that way. Good luck to you.

Comment

Tryin my best to keep it that way, thanks!

Comment

As long as you graduated, no one cares.

Comment

We look at diplomas and not grades. High School, two and four year colleges.

Comment

I would just like to toss in here that during the one interview I have had the opportunity to attend the panel appeared to respond positively when I explained that I was a terrible high school student and did poorly my first year of college, but once I discovered that I really enjoyed taking justice related classes my grades and attendance improved dramatically.

The Illinois State Police only require college transcripts, not high school, so they don't know my grades/attendance, but I felt it was a good opportunity to be honest and further demonstrate my interest. I do not know if it helped, but I passed the interview and should be starting the academy next month.

Good luck!
                  “You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ― Winston Churchill

Comment

That's a positive thing to hear! I'm not quite that far along, just started my spring semester classes. Should be done and through an academy next June.

I also am taking CJ classes and getting a CJ degree, this is for a couple reasons. 1) CJ is what interests me and keeps me focused, and 2) all of the CJ classes are taught by active LEOs with a few retired ones thrown in. When I get the chance to explain my HS choices, I'm positive my college attitude will reflect good, after all I'll have two associates and be certifiable in a total of 1 year and 10 months...

Thanks everyone for the responses!

Comment

The Michigan State Police will request a copy of your HS transcripts. They also showed up at my old HS and interviewed my guidance counselor, school secretary, a couple teachers, and a coach. So, if you apply with them....expect them to look into it. But, hey, maybe my BI just went above and beyond...because he cares.

Comment

I never had any disciplinary actions taken against me and was well liked by all of the teachers / staff / coaches I had regular contact with, so that shouldn't be a problem. Also, not going the MSP direction. There is one sheriffs office in particular that I have spent a bunch of time around that I would love to get into, however I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket. When the time comes I will be applying to almost every police job available, excluding places up north / in the U.P., as well as a few select departments for certain reasons.

And I'm sure your BI does care.. Hopefully you gave him a 'goodbye' kiss after your interview to show him you cared

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5806 users online. 340 members and 5466 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X