Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tell me what you think: chances/thoguhts

hello,
    first time poster here have been doing a lot of reading on the site and wanted to get an opinion from the professionals of my chances of being picked up by a department.

thank you in advance for all the guidance and help from all of you.

I do not have a horrible "record" but like almost everyone I was yound and dumb and did some things that I do deeply regret and frankly I am embarrassed to admit it.

I am 25 turning 26 this year, in 2004/2005 (not sure of exact dates but I know it was in those years) while in high school I experimented with marijuana a couple times with my friends. I regret doing this and at the time realized that it was not for me and a dumb move on my part. in 2005 I was suspended from school for having alcohol in a water bottle.

in the 2004/2005 year as well I really dumb and bought some ecstasy from a kid at school. I was young a dumb and was tryting to fit in at school. I know that that is not an excuse and it was REALLY dumb to begin with. however when I took the pill nothing happened to me I did not fell any change in my body. nothing happened to me and I eventually just went to bed. I asked the kid who sold it to me the next day that nothing happened and he told me that some of the stuff that he got had been no good and he would give me another one or my money back. I did not get anything else from him and the kid started to avoid me when ever he saw me. I got a little smarter and didn't ask for anything just figured I was sold some fake stuff and got my money taken from me.

when I was younger in my early teens I had eaten a couple candy bars in stores and not paid for them.

I have had one speeding ticket in my life and one carpool lane violation. I paid both of them off and went to traffic school both tickets were in 2009 and have not received anything since.

in 2005 I was filming a school project and was using props in the film, I had fake gun, a baton (ASP), and a butterfly knife. later that night I was pulled over for a taillight being out. I told the officer of the fake gun to be smart and make sure he knew about it and that it was fake. I placed on the curb and my car was searched, I had forgotten about the baton and the knife in the car and they were found. I was arrested and taken to the police station. I was released to my mother and was placed on six months of probation. I finished the probation and all the charges were dropped. I was 17 at the time I was arrested and completed the probation.

I do have good credit, I paid my car off early and have never had a late payment on a CC or any accounts.

I have an AS in criminal justice and I am currently working on a BS.

I am in backgrounds of la sheriff department and have taken and was told I passed my poly. I put all of this on my PHS so I am not trying to hide anything.

I have kept myself out of trouble since high school. I know that being young isn't an excuse and I do take responsibility for my actions and looking back know that the things I did were wrong and dumb, but will these things DQ me from having a career in LE? I am guessing that I will be facing an uphill battle going up against applicants who have a clean record compared to mine.

thank you
    Last edited by xmikex; 04-30-2014, 09:04 PM.

Your use of ecstasy will preclude you from employment at MANY Law Enforcement Agencies.

I dont' care if "nothing happened" or not. You used ecstasy and that will most likely keep you out of the profession.

There MIGHT me some agency out there that will hire you...........................I wouldn't hold my breath

Sorry
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Even though it was bunk stuff? I understand the intent was there but the drug was never actually taken. I know playing on a technicality isn't good and integrity plays a big part. I only out it on my PHS so no questions came up later

Comment

Not only did you fuq yourself when you bought and used ecstasy, it appears that your dealer fuqed you as well. DQ
        In God We Trust
        Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

Is it te fact that the intent was there?

So I'm basically screwed and never getting hired anywhere ever?

I know I was young and dumb but LE has been my dream and what I have been working towards throughout school. I know ring young isn't an excuse

Comment

Originally posted by xmikex View Post

I know I was young and dumb but LE has been my dream and what I have been working towards throughout school. I know ring young isn't an excuse
            Re-read my first post...........................
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Edited to just the salient points:

hello,
              first time poster here have been doing a lot of reading on the site and wanted to get an opinion from the professionals of my chances of being picked up by a department.
              If you have been reading the “what are my chances” threads you should have already formed a good picture, but anyhoo….

I do not have a horrible "record" but like almost everyone I was yound and dumb and did some things that I do deeply regret and frankly I am embarrassed to admit it.
              Actually not everyone has done half the stuff you did, but anyhoo.

in 2004/2005 (not sure of exact dates but I know it was in those years) while in high school I experimented with marijuana a couple times…. in 2005 I was suspended from school for having alcohol in a water bottle.
              You will need to hone in on both the dates and number of times. Both will come into the decision process when examining if it was youthful experimentation and below the cutoff for a given agency.

in the 2004/2005 year as well I really dumb and bought some ecstasy…..
              Ecstasy is a DQ with a large number of departments- regardless of “if” you felt the effects of it.

….in 2005 I was filming a school project…. I told the officer of the fake gun to be smart and make sure he knew about it and that it was fake…… I was arrested and taken to the police station. I was released to my mother and was placed on six months of probation. I finished the probation and all the charges were dropped. I was 17 at the time I was arrested and completed the probation.
              You will need to go to the court concerned and get a copy of the final disposition. Even if your record was “sealed” it will still be subject to agency review. You can and should read up on this subject as it has been discussed several hundred times already.

I have an AS in criminal justice and I am currently working on a BS.
              Again, you should read up on the general consensus when it comes to CJ degrees.

In sum-
              Despite your assertions of having been reading through the site- your post evidences either a lack of such or perhaps hopeful reaching that somehow we will give you a glimmer.

Good chance the Ecstasy use will be a DQ right out the door.

You need to quantify the number of times you used marijuana.

You need to identify what the final disposition of your arrest is.

Likely DQ aside, your background is riddled with more than what I would consider minor stuff.

Qualifying it as “young and dumb” and assuming that everyone has done the same stuff is for naught.

Beyond what I already summed up, you need to look at the agencies you are considering and see what their posted listing of disqualifiers are.

I.E. –

https://www.oxnardpd.org/bureaus/disqaulifiers.asp

http://www.cityofpaloalto.org/civica...ocuments/11015

http://www.sandiego.gov/police/recruiting/faqs.shtml

And understand that you will be up against hundreds of folks who have none of this baggage.

As for your “chances” anything we say would be speculative at best, though those of us familiar with backgrounds/hiring will likely share the same thoughts: at this juncture you will be low on the list- if at all.
              Originally posted by SSD
              It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
              Originally posted by Iowa #1603
              And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Even though it was bunk stuff? I understand the intent was there but the drug was never actually taken. I know playing on a technicality isn't good and integrity plays a big part. I only out it on my PHS so no questions came up later
                Matters not- and since we will never know if it was in-fact not a controlled substance it has no bearing.
                Originally posted by SSD
                It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.

Comment

I know it was between 6-10 times that I smoked marijuana when I was between 15-16. I know other applicants won't have the baggage and all the stuff I have been reading didn't had to do with using fake stuff. Granted it will be treated the same since I had the intent to do it. I'm not saying that everyone has done what I have done but people have made dumb mistakes when they were younger. A the time all of this was committed I was a minor and have kept my nose clean since then and have matured. Being young it's an excuse but I was hoping that te department would see that I have matured and learned from my mistakes

Comment

I know it was between 6-10 times that I smoked marijuana when I was between 15-16. I know other applicants won't have the baggage and all the stuff I have been reading didn't had to do with using fake stuff. Granted it will be treated the same since I had the intent to do it. I'm not saying that everyone has done what I have done but people have made dumb mistakes when they were younger. A the time all of this was committed I was a minor and have kept my nose clean since then and have matured. Being young it's an excuse but I was hoping that te department would see that I have matured and learned from my mistakes
                    Your marijuana use alone is at the upper limits most agencies will consider.

Being young is not an excuse per se. Age is sometimes looked at when examining conduct, but age alone is neither a defense nor an excuse for doing something.

While agencies tend to take the whole person approach, you have to contend with the totality of your past, which is not that great.

• Ecstasy purchase and use

• Multiple instances of marijuana (use and likely purchase)

• Suspension from school for having alcohol

• At least a few cases of shoplifting

• 2 tickets

• An arrest that resulted in 6 months on probation- for what we don’t know yet

And this is just the surface. More often than not we find folks who did just as you are doing. Coming in with hopes of having someone tell them that all is well and they will get hired- which is something none of us can do with even the more stellar posters. And often times as we delve into a posters background, more stuff comes up~i.e. employment issues, sub-par grades, failed to register with Selective Service, forgot to pay taxes, lack of references, medical and mental health concerns, the inability to pass a written or agility test, etc, etc, etc.
                    Originally posted by SSD

Comment

Thank you for your insight sir and I know I hve the own up to my past mistakes and I know age isn't an excuse, more that lack of maturity which I have grown ad matured. I have disclosed everything that would be a problem here to get a total sense of where I was at. I hve had a couple jobs since I started working but all have been more then a year and all given notice when leaving. I am current on all my taxes and stuff a long that lines. I have not hid anything, like I said I have told my BI all of this and passed my Polly

As for the marijuana ten was the most number and I don't even believe it was that many times just a number I am comfortable with at taking a guess for maximum number of times.

Comment

Let me get this straight. In order to "fit in" at your school you believed that you had to pop an ecstasy pill and smoke weed? Did you smoke the marijuana before or after you popped the ecstasy pill? Don't answer that. The point of the question is to explain to you that sometimes the "young and dumb" defense that you continue to proffer does not always work in law enforcement. Everyone (if you are still alive) is or was "young" at some time or another in their life, but it does not necessarily follow that because you are young you are also dumb. I'm a few years older than you myself and not once did I feel the need to pop an ecstasy pill or any other pill for that matter to "fit in". Reason? I knew right from wrong. No matter what the rest of your junkie friends are doing, if you know it is wrong, then don't do it. You are applying to a very competitive agency...the largest sheriff's department in the country to be exact. They can be as selective as they want. There is a deputy here (LA DEP) who can give you a more accurate answer as to your chances with that agency...but I would say that one "young and dumb" mistake you made will preclude you from a position there. Good luck.
                        Last edited by Ptrlmn B; 04-30-2014, 11:38 PM.

Comment

As for the marijuana ten was the most number and I don't even believe it was that many times just a number I am comfortable with at taking a guess for maximum number of times.
                          First it was a couple times--and now it might be 10...............

like I said I have told my BI all of this and passed my Polly
                          Well, you passed because you told the truth----that really doesn't mean that the truth of your past is sufficient to get you hired. The POLY is only one part of the process

The BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION is were you are going to have trouble.

I only read your first post as far as the Ecstasy............because that was as far as I needed to read to see that you would be toast in most of the agencies.

Reading the rest about the gun, the grass , the shoplifting, & the school suspensions.....

The background---------------as in things that have happened to you and things you have done in the past-------is a huge indicator of FUTURE actions. Yes some people "change", but most people really don't. Their past acts really do preview the future

As a Law Enforcement administrator , I would be suspect of your background---------and due to the fact that I am going to have NUMEROUS applicants that don't carry your baggage......

I would pass

Comment

In your mind at the time you were buying and using an illegal drug. The fact you got cheated doesn't change that.

Iowa didn't say that.

However, consider that agencies get sued daily for the actions of well meaning officers acting in good faith, who making the best of a situation and trying to do the right thing... then explain why they would hire somebody with a history of poor judgement, illegal behavior and who is easily swayed by peer pressure and expectations.
                            Last edited by tanksoldier; 04-30-2014, 11:27 PM.
                            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

I got as far as the use of Ecstasy. Stopped reading after that as you would be a permanent DQ with my agency. Good luck in the future though.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 158550 users online. 139 members and 158411 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Today.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X