300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrianT View Post
    one question required me to be familiar with the reactionary gap for edged weapons to get it right. I must have done ok because I passed the board, but I think there are better ways to evaluate a candidate.
    So what exactly is the correct answer for edged weapons?

I say that because I am sure that someone will say 21 feet or something similar to that. I think training is starting to take a different look at that and say that it is potentially a deadly force situation. I think some officers were getting into the mindset that a person with an edged weapon and less than 21 feet away it was time for deadly force.

So is a person who begins advancing at 26 feet not justified while a person who simply turns at 18 feet justified? Instead of thinking along the lines of feet, think a totality of the circumstances which requires the use of deadly force.

Sorry to get all preachy.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
      Questions like this are designed to see how the applicant thinks on his/her feet.

For the most part their IS no wrong answer as long as the applicant can defend his/her answer and not back down from the ensuing pressure from the board.

They are NOT "BS" questions................the integrity and work ethic part is going to be covered by a Background Investigation. I always wanted to see how the applicant reacted to stress and/or uncomfortable questions.

THAT usually gave me a good idea if the person was trainable as a LEO.
      As always, IOWA nails it. Read the above, print it out and re-read it ten thousand times.
      Originally posted by SSD
      It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
      Originally posted by Iowa #1603
      And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Like my colleague from Iowa stated, that question was not asked to determine if you would give the RIGHT answer. It was used to determine the way you process information and how you respond to it. If you can access information quickly, make a logical and defensable decision, and effectively implement into a given situation then you can be taught how to make the CORRECT choice. If you cannot do so under the stress of an interview how much less likely are you to be able to do with lives hanging in the balance.
        In God We Trust
        Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

Thanks everyone very helpful

Comment

Shoot the gun out of the daughter's hand. Make sure your bullet hits the weapon only so the suspect's hand doesn't get injured too bad. You do this so the daughter can continue the process of turning her life around, and so she can care for her 3 kids that live with her grandma.

Comment

Shoot her in the T-Box
              The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
              that we are all that stands between
              the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

(deleted comment for crudeness that was much funnier in my head)

Comment

Yes, I realize that the T-Box comment COULD be taken in incorrect context...
                  The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                  that we are all that stands between
                  the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4530 users online. 209 members and 4321 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X