300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview question

I had an interview a month ago and one of the questions were: You get dispatched to a domestic and a 15 year old daughter has a gun pointed at the mother with her hand on the trigger.

My response was talk her down, ask questions and try to call for back up.

Then the officer says you can't have back up

My question is what is the right answer?

Originally posted by Dcd1988 View Post
    I had an interview a month ago and one of the questions were: You get dispatched to a domestic and a 15 year old daughter has a gun pointed at the mother with her hand on the trigger.

My response was talk her down, ask questions and try to call for back up.

Then the officer says you can't have back up

My question is what is the right answer?
    Not that one. Not even close.

What would YOU do if I had a gun pointed at YOU?

Comment

If she's willing to point a loaded weapon at her own mother with her finger on the trigger, how little would she care about shooting you?
      "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
      I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

I hate questions like this on interview boards. For anyone who's been through any type of LE Academy, this question is a no-brainer. I assume that you haven't which in my opinion makes it a BS question. I think the board's time it better spent on questions relating to integrity and work ethic.

I went through one hiring board which was almost all scenarios. Some of the questions required a working knowledge of the force continuum and 1+1; one question required me to be familiar with the reactionary gap for edged weapons to get it right. I must have done ok because I passed the board, but I think there are better ways to evaluate a candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianT View Post
          I hate questions like this on interview boards. For anyone who's been through any type of LE Academy, this question is a no-brainer. I assume that you haven't which in my opinion makes it a BS question. I think the board's time it better spent on questions relating to integrity and work ethic.

I went through one hiring board which was almost all scenarios. Some of the questions required a working knowledge of the force continuum and 1+1; one question required me to be familiar with the reactionary gap for edged weapons to get it right. I must have done ok because I passed the board, but I think there are better ways to evaluate a candidate.
          A no brainer question? The OP failed it.

Comment

Shoot the daughter.
            The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
            that we are all that stands between
            the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by USMARINE View Post
              If she's willing to point a loaded weapon at her own mother with her finger on the trigger, how little would she care about shooting you?
              True to an officer safety aspect, but the larger problem is you already have someone else who fits all the criteria for the use of deadly force...

Comment

Originally posted by jchughes05 View Post
                Shoot the daughter.
                You're mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
                  You're mean.
                  Nah, I just want to go home at the end of my shift and have sex with the fiancee'.
                  The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

sigpic

Comment

Move to cover, draw and announce.
                    "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
                    I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

I had a similar question on my board....except it was a ten year old with a gun in his hand....I can't remember the exact question but the kid wasn't pointing it just had it in his hand....my answer was that "I'd like to think I can talk a ten year old into dropping the gun before I have to shoot him". They apparently liked my answer cause I got hired LOL

Comment

Shoot the kid.

I Am the Sheepdog.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
                          A no brainer question? The OP failed it.
                          I meant that it's a no brainer if you've already been through some academy. I assume that the OP has not.

Comment

Originally posted by jchughes05 View Post
                            Nah, I just want to go home at the end of my shift and have sex with the fiancee'.
                            You're gross.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianT View Post

Questions like this are designed to see how the applicant thinks on his/her feet.

For the most part their IS no wrong answer as long as the applicant can defend his/her answer and not back down from the ensuing pressure from the board.

They are NOT "BS" questions................the integrity and work ethic part is going to be covered by a Background Investigation. I always wanted to see how the applicant reacted to stress and/or uncomfortable questions.

THAT usually gave me a good idea if the person was trainable as a LEO.
                              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4282 users online. 270 members and 4012 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X