300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Female Applicants

So I am currently applying for multiple agencies and have been scoring very well in the written, physical, and Oral Boards. But I recently heard that it is harder for women to get hired unless they have previously been in the military. I was wondering if this is true or not, or if it is true in certain areas. I know that departments such as Seattle are more interested in (ex)military applicants.

Could you guys tell me if you've heard of (or for women, experienced) this?

Originally posted by Reaper08 View Post
    So I am currently applying for multiple agencies and have been scoring very well in the written, physical, and Oral Boards. But I recently heard that it is harder for women to get hired unless they have previously been in the military. I was wondering if this is true or not, or if it is true in certain areas. I know that departments such as Seattle are more interested in (ex)military applicants.

Don't make excuses, just do what you have to do to win. Instead of feeling sorry for yourself, figure out where you're falling short.

To answer your question, no I haven't seen that first hand. Could it happen? Sure it does. Some of the best cops I've worked with have been female. (I'm male).

Comment

I personally (at least the area where I work) don't know any female peace officer who has military experience.

That is different due to the fact that I DO KNOW others outside of my area who are veterans
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

It's been awhile since I have heard this question. Usually I hear male applicants saying that it is harder to get hired because department's are looking for females and minorities.

The fact is that it is difficult to get hired in Law Enforcement period. There are often many more people applying than there are positions. Former military will often allow candidates preference points for part of the process but at the end of the day it all comes down to you and if you are the best fit for the department. Understand that you may apply to one department and not even get past the first phase while the department down the road you get hired at. Does it make sense? No but that's just how it is sometimes.

My advice to you is make yourself the best that you are and not worry gender and military.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper08 View Post

Hearing and knowing are two different things. “Knowing” and actually knowing are also two different things. To be honest- most times you “hear” something, its not true.

I will cut right to the chase- while Veterans frequently outpace non-Veterans in hiring; this is due to points added to the aggregate score in certain civil service processes, so in a way yes- Vets (male or female) may realize a greater rate of hiring, but that does not preclude a non-Vet (male or female) from being hired. Fact of the matter is that Veterans actually make up a much smaller percentage of cops than most folks assume.

Fact of the matter- lots of well qualified Veterans are still applying to department after department, so its not just you trying to get hired on.

If you are performing well in the process, your time will come. Maybe not with that top choice agency, maybe not tomorrow, but it will happen.
          Originally posted by SSD
          It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
          Originally posted by Iowa #1603
          And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Getting a job in law encorcement is difficult to start with, as it should be. I dont care if you **** setting down or standing up. Many qualified people of both sexes never, read that again NEVER, get an offer. The field is highly competitive and you have to make sure that you make yourself stand out as the best potential officer in a pool that can include several hundred applicants. That and not the fact that you are female is what is holding you back.

Take a critical look at yourself and decide what is the area where you can make yourself a better candidate. Focus on improvimg yourself there and then drive on.
            In God We Trust
            Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

The hiring pools I have been in have been OVERWHELMINGLY male. In my experience, at least, it's not that women have a hard time getting hired -- it's that the departments around here have a hard time getting women to apply.

Comment

I am a female and was hired in the 1980's without military experience. It was not an easy time for women and times are much better now.
                I work in police academy's and the number of women either hired or self sponsoring is significantly smaller that men. The biggest issue they have in the academy is range and many fail in that area.
                If you are a quality candidate it doesn't matter if you are male or female.

Comment

I work with3 female detention deputies. They are each better at some aspect of the job than I am.

Two of the best Soldiers I ever worked with we're two female MPs attached to my platoon during my last deployment. Id pick them in a firefight over several of my guys. They kicked arse and weren't afraid to mix it up.

Be the person an officer wants backing them up on the side of the road, and the person a sergeant wants doing field interviews, and your plumbing won't matter.
                  "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback!!

I didn't think that this was true but I wanted to see what others' opinions on it was. I know that it can take years to get hired and being that I am at a young age I think I might need more life experience in general.

Comment

Right off the top of my head I can't think of a single female officer I've worked with over the years who was a vet.

Comment

I worked with one female vet and she was/is lazy & useless.

Comment

Originally posted by eagleI View Post
                          I worked with one female vet and she was/is lazy & useless.
                          Work with any lazy male vets?

Work with any lazy non-vets?
                          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Haha I have to say that asking about this made me feel a lot better! This is why I love LEO - best senses of humor!!

Comment

Worked with lazy males & females, vets & non-vets. Her laziness had nothing to do with her service. Looking back I think most of the vets had a great work ethic & they understood team work. Just not her. (It doesn't help when you have a small amount of females. We get stereotyped based on the bad performance of few.)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3339 users online. 186 members and 3153 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X