Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low written exam score an applicant killer?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low written exam score an applicant killer?

Hey everybody, I recently applied to my local PD and am pretty nervous/concerned about my written exam score as I was only one point above the minimum score (Had to go to work afterwards so I rushed through like an idiot). Luckily I was able to take my PAT before the written test, where (Dont mean to brag) I did extremely well. Am I screwed for having scored so relatively low? Am I just worrying aboout nothing? Any advice from some one with experiences in these matters would be greatly appreciated.

Low scores won't be good.

NO agency hires at the minimum standard..........................
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

In our recent hiring wave the minimum passing score is 70% in each of three areas of the written examination....

There were over 1,000 applicants and 300+ that tested. We had 16 openings.

All said and done, the ones we hired had average scores of 91.2%..... For our agency 71%, while "passing", is not competitive....

Your mileage may vary... Good luck with your search...
      Everything rises or falls on leadership. Everything.
      drjayirvin.wordpress.com

Comment

Generally you need to be amongst the top scores to move forward in the process. But remember...taking the test builds experience....keep taking them.

Comment

Thanks. Probably should have included this in the OP, but the letter I recieved told me I MAY be contacted as I had been entered into a pool of eligible applicants, to be sent on to the next step of the process. Now having read your responses, should I assume I'm sitting in the back of that pool despite my PAT scores? My thinking is, is that they've already selected who they want to send forward, while I and
          the others who scored low are kept in reserves if someone isnt able to move through in the process. Am I right in this assumption, or just paranoid?
          Last edited by Veritas9; 03-29-2014, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Not to discourage you, but while you may still be "in the pool" you are not at the top of the list. Take this as a learning experience, drive on, and DO NOT GIVE UP. Anyone can get knocked down, it is the ones that get back up and back in the fight that eventually succeed.
            In God We Trust
            Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

In most civil service testing everyone who gets a passing score moves on to the orals. Your oral score is them combined with your written score. A list will be established based on the two combined scores and applicants are hired in the order of their combined scores (highest score first, next highest second, etc.).

There are three factors that then come into play: Your position on the list; how long the list is good for; and how many people they expect to hire during the life of the list.

If you are #20 on the list and they expect to hire 30 people over the two year life of the list, you will probably get picked up around 18 months after the list is established. OTOH, if you are #80 on the list, it will probably expire before you are reachable.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                NO agency hires at the minimum standard.
                None anybody actually wants to work for, away.

Originally posted by Lady Blue View Post
                Anyone can get knocked down, it is the ones that get back up and back in the fight that eventually succeed.
                Fall down seven times, get up eight.
                "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Thanks to every one that has replied so far. I don't mind the bluntness of the answers at all, as this is exactly what I would like to know, even if it seems a bit bleak. If I wanted to hear great news I would have asked myself. So please keep the opinions coming, no matter how unflattering they may be.

Comment

I can tell you from my class, we had about 2500 apply. About 1500 passed the written test, minimum 70%. So from that if you only barely passed you are ranked somewhere around 1400 or so. Then the physical test is just a pass fail. That weeds out about another half. In that case you would still be sitting around 700 on the list. Not looking very good.

That being said it all depends on how many people applied and how many they are looking to hire. I can say about the average for the people I went through the academy with was right around 90%.

So although you "passed", it's probably not enough to move on. But keep on applying. Once you get used to the format of the tests they get a little easier. But take your time and go over each question. I know people that took the test and left. I took every second until they said pencils down. I don't care if I knew it was right I went back over it 3 or 4 times to make sure.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas9 View Post
                      Hey everybody, I recently applied to my local PD and am pretty nervous/concerned about my written exam score as I was only one point above the minimum score (Had to go to work afterwards so I rushed through like an idiot).
                      Ouch. Unfortunately, writing is one of your most important attributes as a Police Officer and is something that you need to be able to do well. The person who looks at the writing portion is really judging you on whether or not you will be able to articulate what you observed at scenes, whether or not you will be able to take a statement from a victim, suspect, or witnesses, and whether or not you can properly justify your actions through a description of what occurred. If you can't articulate those things, you will get eaten alive in court.

Luckily I was able to take my PAT before the written test, where (Dont mean to brag) I did extremely well. Am I screwed for having scored so relatively low?
                      That's good and all, but you need to find a median. Being able to run fast and lift 300 pounds isn't going to do anything for you on the stand. I'm as big a fitness buff as anyone and realize its importance in this profession, but don't get it twisted because it's not as important as being articulate.

Comment

Double Post.
                        Last edited by DWinsRespect; 03-30-2014, 01:00 AM. Reason: Double Post

Comment

Let me explain what academics mean in the process.

Many years ago, I did ok in the testing process and was hired . I went to the academy and passed with a GPA of a bit over 91.5%.

91% is pretty good isn't it-----------------I was in the bottom 1/2 of my class.
                          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Thanks to every one that has replied so far. I don't mind the bluntness of the answers at all, as this is exactly what I would like to know, even if it seems a bit bleak. If I wanted to hear great news I would have asked myself. So please keep the opinions coming, no matter how unflattering they may be.
                            Since you are taking constructive feedback in the manner in which it was intended, rather than telling us that we are full of fecal matter, I am going to make a few suggestions.

First, if possible, make sure that the next time you test that you have more than enough time so that you don't feel rushed. I know work can make this difficult, but find a way if you can do so.

Second, I know that time is hard to come by, but find some time to freshen up on the stuff we were supposed to learn in school. There are some good study guides availible and when 1% can make the difference between landing the job you want and being sent packing, they are worth the investment of both time and money.

Third, and I mentioned this earlier as did others, keep driving forward. If this job was easy, anyone could do it. The whole process is designed to weed out the ones who are non-hackers long before the final hiring decisions are made. The ones who refuse to be denied are the ones we want out there with us. Prove that you are one of those who does not take NO as an answer.

Other than that, I will say better success next time.
                            In God We Trust
                            Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

It's not so much a case of our being unflattering as it is simply telling you the truth. You're to be congratulated for the manner in which you're handling that truth.

My colleagues, as they always do, have given you some great feedback . Chances are, you won't make the cut this time around. Still, it's not time to give up on yourself, or the idea of joining this profession.

Prior to your next exam, give preparation the time it deserves. Avail yourself of the study guides, often provided by the agency itself for an upcoming exam. Take all the allowed time the next time you sit for the exam. In other words, don't rush.

Do these things, and it's entirely probable that you'll increase your score to the level where you become a competitive candidate.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10459 users online. 507 members and 9952 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X