Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chances of getting hired?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Chances of getting hired?

    Hello everybody,

    I'm 21 years old and have an AA degree and I'm around 40 or so credits away from getting my BA. I just wanted to see what all of you think my chances are of getting hired considering I'm so young. I'm in the background stage for a few PD's right now.

    -Like I said I have an AA and I am close to getting my BA. (3.80 GPA)

    -I have completed an internship with a fairly large PD in which I was able to work with a number of different units.

    -I have been a Reserve Officer for another large PD for 2+ years now and was promoted to Reserve Sgt. around 6 months ago.

    -I have a paying job with the same PD in which I watch cameras of hot spots of crime during late night/early morning hours. I've been doing this for around 9 months.

    -I've never tried any drugs, have zero tickets, never been arrested and have never had any negative encounters with police. The only bad thing I've done is I stole a candy bar from a gas station when I was 16. I didn't get caught but I've obviously admitted doing so on my applications and will do so on any future applications.

    What do you think my chances are of getting hired when I'm 21-22?

    Thank you very much to anyone who can answer

  • #2
    Originally posted by JKOV View Post
    Hello everybody,

    I'm 21 years old and have an AA degree and I'm around 40 or so credits away from getting my BA. I just wanted to see what all of you think my chances are of getting hired considering I'm so young. I'm in the background stage for a few PD's right now.

    -Like I said I have an AA and I am close to getting my BA. (3.80 GPA)

    -I have completed an internship with a fairly large PD in which I was able to work with a number of different units.

    -I have been a Reserve Officer for another large PD for 2+ years now and was promoted to Reserve Sgt. around 6 months ago.

    -I have a paying job with the same PD in which I watch cameras of hot spots of crime during late night/early morning hours. I've been doing this for around 9 months.

    -I've never tried any drugs, have zero tickets, never been arrested and have never had any negative encounters with police. The only bad thing I've done is I stole a candy bar from a gas station when I was 16. I didn't get caught but I've obviously admitted doing so on my applications and will do so on any future applications.

    What do you think my chances are of getting hired when I'm 21-22?

    Thank you very much to anyone who can answer

    you work in the field, you have 289 posts in this forum in the last 12 months which means you have been reading this forum for a while


    What do YOU think your chances are.
    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
      you work in the field, you have 289 posts in this forum in the last 12 months which means you have been reading this forum for a while


      What do YOU think your chances are.
      Thank you. I think/hope they're pretty decent.

      Comment


      • #4
        Unlike most recent questions of the same theme you actually appear to have a fairly decent chance- HOWEVER you surely understand that regardless of what anyone here says one way or another it will have NO bearing when it comes time for the department to decide.

        Lots of well qualified applicants with no issues have a difficult time getting on. The reasons are as varied as the people and agencies to which they apply.
        Originally posted by SSD
        It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
        Originally posted by Iowa #1603
        And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

        Comment


        • #5
          I like your chances better than anyone else's I have seen recently. Keep working toward that BA, possibly learn a second language, keep your nose clean, etc. Do everything you can to make yourself the best possible prospect you can be. Don't be disappointed if you don't get the first job you apply for. You know, the things we have said to others.

          It is tough to get into this field even for people without the baggage, but those who persevere eventually seem to be rewarded.
          In God We Trust
          Everyone else we run local and NCIC

          Comment


          • #6
            Thank you for your input and advice Sgt Jon and Lady Blue. Do either of you or Iowa mind if I PM you a personal question that I'd rather not ask on a public forum? Thanks

            Comment


            • #7
              Also depends on what part of the country you live in. Some areas are easier to get on than others. I def. concur with picking a second language. Good luck.
              Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

              Comment


              • #8
                I know that some South Florida agencies hire from their reserve pool. Being that you are already sworn, I would say that you have a decent chance. I know that as a reserve, I went through the exact same background and vetting process as the full time guys. I see no reason why you did not as well. That being said, if they saw fit to swear you in once, unless something drastic has changed, you should have a leg up on the competition....laterals being a possible exception.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I sincerely hope you'll read my colleague's thoughts once more. Additionally, it's going to be imperative that you test well in each and every phase of any hiring process you enter.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thank you everyone!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by JKOV View Post
                      Thank you for your input and advice Sgt Jon and Lady Blue. Do either of you or Iowa mind if I PM you a personal question that I'd rather not ask on a public forum? Thanks
                      Feel free. I am glad to help in any way I can.
                      In God We Trust
                      Everyone else we run local and NCIC

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by JKOV View Post
                        Thank you for your input and advice Sgt Jon and Lady Blue. Do either of you or Iowa mind if I PM you a personal question that I'd rather not ask on a public forum? Thanks
                        Feel free. While I will always try to give the best insight possible- actual mileage varies.
                        Originally posted by SSD
                        It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
                        Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                        And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I tried to reply to your PM but for some reason O.com kept timing me out. Let me know if you did not get my reply.
                          In God We Trust
                          Everyone else we run local and NCIC

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            ^ I received it. Thank you

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              All you did wrong in your life was steal a candy bar? You'll be fine

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 4237 users online. 247 members and 3990 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X