300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theft and chances

Roughly 12 years ago, I stole about $50 cash from an employer. I was 27 at the time. What are my chances on getting hired? Everything else is above board, this is my only hurdle and I know it's a big one. Should I pursue law enforcement or should I look for other employment? I haven't stolen anything since and really can't remember why I took the money 12 years ago. Thanks for the advice.

I stole one thing in my life. It was a stuffed animal mouse and I was four years old. I remember it clear as day. You can't remember exactly how much or why you stole money... Leads me to believe you steal often or overall lack integrity. At 27 you certainly knew better. At 39, you better start to remember details and own it or take a different career path.

Comment

Originally posted by Nundac75 View Post
      Roughly 12 years ago, I stole about $50 cash from an employer. I was 27 at the time. What are my chances on getting hired? Everything else is above board, this is my only hurdle and I know it's a big one. Should I pursue law enforcement or should I look for other employment? I haven't stolen anything since and really can't remember why I took the money 12 years ago. Thanks for the advice.
      Stealing from an employer as a 27yr old ADULT.

I am not going to be tripping over myself to hire you. Integrity issue (as is not remembering WHY you stole the money)
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I have no excuse and I'm not trying to justify anything. Its good to know my chances (which aren't looking good) before I start applying and wasting peoples time.

Comment

Doesn't hurt to apply. I think Theft at age 27 does hurt your chances more than Theft at age 18. But you can't change it now, so if you want to apply give it a shot. Worst thing that can happen is they tell you "no."

Comment

A theft as an adult goes directly to the issue of integrity. Not knowing "why" you stole the money, doesn't get it done either.

As an Officer, you'd routinely be presented with instances where your integrity would be challenged. (AKA Temptation). Don't believe I'd want to take a chance on you.

Comment

Seems you already know the chances and how big this hurdle is. Never hurts to try though.
              What Is A Veteran?
              A 'Veteran,' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is 'someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Comment

Theft as a child or as a teen is usually not a HUGE problem to be hired. Theft at 27 is a HUGE problem, especially cash from an employer.

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight patrol View Post
                  Theft as a child or as a teen is usually not a HUGE problem to be hired. Theft at 27 is a HUGE problem, especially cash from an employer.
                  Yeah, basically this. Your age at the time of offense will likely be your downfall. Teenagers are meant to learn from mistakes and they aren't expected to know better (within reason). While it's worth a shot and you never know, I wouldn't count on it.
                  sigpic

"I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

-Thee Rant (surprisingly)

Originally posted by NYCTNT
                  DF,

Why do you bother?

Comment

Many states will not certify an officer if they have a conviction for any felony, misdemeanor domestic violence OR any crime of moral turpitude. Personal integrity aside, if this was prosecuted successfully, that almost ensures that the applicant will not be acceptable.

Going back to personal integrity; a self-admission or polygraph question may also eliminate the candidate even if there was no conviction.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

I agree with my colleagues on this one. I stole something 20 years ago when I was 15. I remember the store it was at, the location, the time of day, the weather outside, where I went in the store, what I took, what I said, and if I thought hard enough the name of the LP officer and the responding police officer.

It is a huge red flag that it happened at 27 and even bigger that you can't seem to remember any of the details regarding it.

That being said. I agree that it doesn't hurt to try, but I would be realistic about you chances. Doesn't look good.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3193 users online. 154 members and 3039 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X