300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unique Situation

I have a unique situation that I do not believe has been asked on this site prior. 10 years ago, at the age of 22, I became a police officer at a large department about 900 miles from my home town. I worked for this department for a little over 2 years. While working for this department, I was in the application process for various agencies in my home state. I was eventually offered a position as a Corrections Officer at a prison in my home state. I decided to take the position and work as a CO and to move back to my home state, while I waited on hearing back from the better agencies that I was in the application process with. I was well liked at my current agency, and I left on good terms.

I was about 8 months into my new job as a CO when I was involved in an off duty car accident and was subsequently charged with a DUI. Because I was a probationary employee, I was immediately terminated. I took my case to trial and about a year later, I was found Not Guilty and I was acquitted. After the Not Guilty verdict, I was offered my job back at the prison that I was terminated from. I declined the offer. In the year since my arrest, I had gotten a real good job as a sales rep for a large Pharmaceutical company.

I have worked for this company for about 7 years now and they have been very good to me. I have been promoted numerous times and I am now an area manager. I make about $150K a year and they have paid for me to get my MBA degree. The problem is, I am on the road the majority of the time and I spend about 100+ nights a year sleeping in hotels across the country. I am currently 32 years old and I have recently started to think about getting back into law enforcement ( if possible.)

The state police in my area have announced that they will be hiring. Do I have a chance at getting hired? I do not want to waste my time with the hiring process If I have no chance at passing the background check . I understand that being terminated from a LE agency is usually the kiss of death in a LE career, but since I was offered reinstatement, does that make a difference? Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by mreynold95; 02-04-2014, 02:07 PM.

I love the way you down play your DUI charge.

Were you drinking and driving or not?

Did you submit to a breath/blood test as is required in most states? If so what were the results?

Comment

I am just stating the facts. I was involved in a single car accident which resulted in myself being transported to the hospital. The police never offered to give me a Field Sobriety Test and I was never asked to submit to a Breathalyzer or to give any other BAC evidence. In my state, it is an automatic 180 day loss of license if you decline a Breathalyzer. I was never offered this, and I have never lost my license because of this matter.

The police did not say anything about alcohol until the next day when I was discharged from the hospital. I was served a citation for DUI 12 hours after arriving at the hospital. Because of this lack of evidence, I was acquitted about 10 minutes into my trial, and I was offered my job back the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by mreynold95 View Post
        I have a unique situation that I do not believe has been asked on this site prior. 10 years ago, at the age of 22, I became a police officer at a large department about 900 miles from my home town. I worked for this department for a little over 2 years. While working for this department, I was in the application process for various agencies in my home state. I was eventually offered a position as a Corrections Officer at a prison in my home state. I decided to take the position and work as a CO and to move back to my home state, while I waited on hearing back from the better agencies that I was in the application process with. I was well liked at my current agency, and I left on good terms.

I was about 8 months into my new job as a CO when I was involved in an off duty car accident and was subsequently charged with a DUI. Because I was a probationary employee, I was immediately terminated. I took my case to trial and about a year later, I was found Not Guilty and I was acquitted. After the Not Guilty verdict, I was offered my job back at the prison that I was terminated from. I declined the offer. In the year since my arrest, I had gotten a real good job as a sales rep for a large Pharmaceutical company.

I have worked for this company for about 7 years now and they have been very good to me. I have been promoted numerous times and I am now an area manager. I make about $150K a year and they have paid for me to get my MBA degree. The problem is, I am on the road the majority of the time and I spend about 100+ nights a year sleeping in hotels across the country. I am currently 32 years old and I have recently started to think about getting back into law enforcement ( if possible.)

The state police in my area have announced that they will be hiring. Do I have a chance at getting hired? I do not want to waste my time with the hiring process If I have no chance at passing the background check . I understand that being terminated from a LE agency is usually the kiss of death in a LE career, but since I was offered reinstatement, does that make a difference? Thanks in advance for your help!
        Nothing real "Unique" here

You were a cop and resigned on good terms

Got a job in Corrections and lost it..............but refused when you were offered it back after litigation. Instead you got out of LE for a number of years

Now you want to know if you can get back into LE.

In theory you have a clean background and experience in the field so yes you stand a good chance of being hired at some point in time. the MBA won't hurt a bit.

In practice, you should have a chance of of getting hired, but any potential employer is going to be a bit cautious due the the ARREST---even though it resulted in a Not Guilty verdict . (OJ was found not guilty remember)

The termination from the Corrections job is not really problematic because of the verdict, but not accepting the reinstatement is going to give the administration second thoughts.

Maybe a 50/50 chance of getting hired within your first yr of trying (Personally I think a State Police agency would be VERY iffy as their hiring process is usually VERY strict)
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I'm with Iowa on this. Personally, I'd look for pharmacy opportunities making the same pay with less travel, if possible. Basically you are in hotels two days a week; I'd put up with that for 150K.

Comment

The hospital did blood work....what was your BAC?

Comment

The hospital never did blood work. I voluntarily went to the hospital and I was never placed under arrest. Alcohol consumption was never brought up until the next day when I was issued the citation.

Comment

You've still not answered the question, were you drinking?

There are two issues that are considered in a background. One is whether you were ever convicted of a crime. That one has been addressed. The other has to do with personal conduct, irrespective of whether there was even a conviction.

Sooner or later (if not here then to a BI and a poly operator) you are going to have to say whether you were drinking. Being evasive and dodging the questions only suggests consciousness of guilt. Do that with you BI and it is almost a guaranteed DQ.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Yes I was drinking. I had four 12oz beers over a 3.5 hour period. The bartender who served me gave a statement to the police as well as provided them with my receipt to confirm this. If given a Breathalyzer or any other BAC test, I am very confident that I would have blown well below a 08. The problem is, I was never offered any type of FST or BAC tests to confirm or deny this.

Did the alcohol impair my ability to drive and cause me to crash? Maybe. It is tough to say with certainty if it did or did not. I sustained a severe concussion due to the crash and most of the night is difficult to remember. I have been honest with the facts of this matter and I intend on disclosing all of this info to any BG investigator. I understand that as a LEO you are held to a higher standard. At the time I figured if I drank responsibly and stayed under the legal limit, It be okay to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                    Sooner or later (if not here then to a BI and a poly operator) you are going to have to say whether you were drinking. Being evasive and dodging the questions only suggests consciousness of guilt. Do that with you BI and it is almost a guaranteed DQ.
                    THIS.

You've got to own up to it. You will be asked if you were drinking and if that is what contributed to the accident. The people asking these questions have extremely fine tunes BS detectors - so you better just admit what we all know and be prepared to honestly answer the question when it counts.

Comment

The problem is, I was never offered any type of FST or BAC tests to confirm or deny this.
                      That is no problem...................Officers in my area of operations obtain CONVICTIONS on DUI's with out SFST's or BAC's every day. It's called reports and observations.

Did the alcohol impair my ability to drive and cause me to crash? Maybe.
                      4 12oz beers in a 3.5 hour period..................yes you ability to drive was impaired

48 oz of 3.2% beer (what you get in Iowa) for a 180 lb person in 3.5 hours will give you a BAC of -0.05950
                      http://oade.nd.edu/educate-yourself-...ac-calculator/

In other words .060 where .080 is presumptive impaired .. Presumptive Impairment means you need NO OTHER evidence of impairment. An officers report could provide that "other" evidence for a lesser BAC

At the time I figured if I drank responsibly and stayed under the legal limit, It be okay to drive.
                      As a former police officer you should know that "legal limit" and "impaired" are not mutually exclusive terms and do not mean the same thing
                      Last edited by Iowa #1603; 02-04-2014, 04:12 PM.
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Iowa, Thanks for the response. At the time of this incident I weighed 220 lbs . I had 4 12oz Coors light ( 4.36%). Based on the BAC calculator that you provided, my BAC would of been 0.0163.

In my situation, the only other evidence provided was the Officers statement that I " smelled like an odor consistent with alcohol, and my eyes were bloodshot and speech was slurred." Also, these observations were made while I was at the hospital, approximately 2 hours after the crash.

I am not in anyway trying to downplay this matter and what I had done. I am just stating the facts of the case.

Comment

Iowa, Thanks for the response. At the time of this incident I weighed 220 lbs . I had 4 12oz Coors light ( 4.36%). Based on the BAC calculator that you provided, my BAC would of been 0.0163.

In my situation, the only other evidence provided was the Officers statement that I " smelled like an odor consistent with alcohol, and my eyes were bloodshot and speech was slurred." Also, these observations were made while I was at the hospital, approximately 2 hours after the crash.

I am not in anyway trying to downplay this matter and what I had done. I am just stating the facts of the case.
                          And our points are that you will have some pointed questions to answer. The way you answer them and the facts of the case will determine if you can get hired anywhere

The fact that you were acquitted speaks for it's self. BUT so does the ARREST-----------when you admit that you were drinking and driving...............

I am going to repeat that I think you getting hired with a State Police / Highway Patrol agency is very IFFY.

Comment

In my situation, the only other evidence provided was the Officers statement that I " smelled like an odor consistent with alcohol, and my eyes were bloodshot and speech was slurred." Also,
                            these observations were made while I was at the hospital, approximately 2 hours after the crash.

OK, like the old Hollywood directors used to say, "Let's cut to the chase". Regardless of the verdict in your case, you admit to having been drinking, and subsequently being involved in a traffic accident.

These facts are what a potential employer will be concerned with. Should you apply, you can reasonably expect to questioned, perhaps at length concerning these separate but related incidents.

For an agency to give you a shot you must: Accept full responsibility for having been drinking, and yes, having been arrested and charged with DUI. Hang too tightly to the "Not Guilty" verdict, or give the impression that the verdict ends or nullifies the basic issues, you're going to have problems.

Let me suggest this. Talk to a Recruiter or someone who can give you a realistic assessment of your chances should you apply. My sense is that provided you take responsibility for what was essentially a screw up, you MIGHT have a chance.

As my colleague has correctly noted. You're going to have some "pointed questions to answer" Screw that up, and you're toast. Plain as I can make it.

Comment

for 150k a year,stick with pushing pills ,you already got a 2nd good career there.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4850 users online. 222 members and 4628 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X