300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving Record and Hiring Woes

I know every agency is different but I'm hoping that if enough of you fine officers give your input on maybe what your agency would say on my driving record it will give me an idea of what I am looking at in the long run.

Without further adieu, here is a quick background on my driving record as I see it as my biggest problem getting hired at the moment.

I started driving about 8 years ago. I used to speed a lot in the earlier years of driving but decided to change that after a ticket that I obtained five years ago for reckless driving that was amended to negligent driving of the second degree.

Within the time of that last ticket I have been in once accident nearly four years ago which totaled my car and nobody else was involved and nobody was injured. I also received a speeding ticket about two and a half years ago which ended up being dismissed.

Further down my past I have been in two other accidents, neither where someone was hurt, and three other speeding tickets.

To me, I do see that there have been some issues in the past but not so much recently and definitely a turn of where it was at. But of course I'm not the one grading my report when it gets passed to the chief for selection so my opinion doesn't matter. I ask for your humble opinion/advice because I have gotten through quite far in several agencies but I have been disqualified because of my driving record on every occasion. I know I'll just have to be patient with it but I would also like to know where I stand and really see how bad it is to a law enforcement agency.

Thanks!

Currently, my Agency would DQ you based upon the following. "Any evidence or history of violations which evidence a disregard or disrespect for the law". Your Motor Vehicle history is the embodiment of that standard.

Most agencies will desire at the very minimum, a period of three to five years since your last violation and the time you apply. As a practical matter, you'll need even more time.

You should also note that your ENTIRE driver history will be accessed. That includes charges which were reduced, dismissed, dealt down to lessor included offenses, nol prossed, or otherwise disposed of.

While the standard(s) in place for my Agency are specific to it, you will find that what I've quoted is fairly well applicable across the board. You should keep in mind that you'll be competing against some pretty highly qualified, polished applicants.

These will be men/women with impeccable records including motor vehicle histories. These people would be considered for employment long before you will.

Comment

Thanks for the response Phil! And yes, I have noticed that others are being considered before myself. I really do appreciate the clarification as well on what exactly it means when it states something similar to "Any evidence or history of violations which evidence a disregard or disrespect for the law". I guess I'll just hang tight and keep heading forward from here.

Comment

Phil pretty well covered. Put yourself in their shoes, why would they want to put you in one of their cars when you can't drive your own car without crashing it or messing up?

Comment

Yep, you'd be considered a liability in my dept also. Time is your friend. Go out and establish a good work history, get a degree, learn a second or third language. Good luck to you.
          (sorry to my fellow o.com buds, I tend to repeat myself regarding this stuff)
          Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

I' have had the same issues. I haven't had a citation in coming up to 5 years, i have been in one not at fault accident about 8 yrs ago and have 4 moving violations in my driving history since age 15(now 26) i have a 4 yr degree and bilingual. Still searching here.

Comment

There is also an issue called Negligent Hiring.

A law enforcement agency is expected to maintain a reasonable standard of care with respect to the public it serves. Let’s say a department were to hire you knowing that you have a recent, ongoing driving history that reflects poor driving habits. Were you to then get into an at fault accident with a police vehicle, the civil liability for the department and the person who approved your hiring in spite of your driving history would be through the roof.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

My friends have offered some very cogent insight into where you stand- as usual, I have little to add. But, as usual I will offer up a few points of observation.

Originally posted by Xellos357 View Post
                …. several agencies but I have been disqualified because of my driving record on every occasion.
                This is what you will likely experience for some time to come. You have 8 years of driving experience and have since racked up a reckless driving citation, been in 3 crashes and received what I can tell to be another 5 citations. This is not a good indicator nor a risk most agencies will take.

Perhaps a few more years of crash+ticket free driving will help. Perhaps.

As an aside- you have a funny way of expressing yourself. Can’t quite put my finger on it, but its different- almost circular. And another item to mull over is your online presence. Assuming your vanity name here is the same one used elsewhere- you may want to take an objective/critical look at some of the things associated with Xellos357 as online activity is scrutinized.

Things such as YouTube, comments on ‘The Crash Page’, and so on. Even comments that are not yours but which bridge to you via participation in online activity can be problematic.

i.e. http://thecrashpage.com/truck-crashe.../#comment-9626

Originally posted by Xellos357 View Post
                I know every agency is different but I'm hoping that if enough of you fine officers give your input on maybe what your agency would say on my driving record it will give me an idea of what I am looking at in the long run.

Without further adieu, here is a quick background on my driving record as I see it as my biggest problem getting hired at the moment.

I started driving about 8 years ago. I used to speed a lot in the earlier years of driving but decided to change that after a ticket that I obtained five years ago for reckless driving that was amended to negligent driving of the second degree.

Within the time of that last ticket I have been in once accident nearly four years ago which totaled my car and nobody else was involved and nobody was injured. I also received a speeding ticket about two and a half years ago which ended up being dismissed.

Further down my past I have been in two other accidents, neither where someone was hurt, and three other speeding tickets.

To me, I do see that there have been some issues in the past but not so much recently and definitely a turn of where it was at. But of course I'm not the one grading my report when it gets passed to the chief for selection so my opinion doesn't matter. I ask for your humble opinion/advice because I have gotten through quite far in several agencies but I have been disqualified because of my driving record on every occasion. I know I'll just have to be patient with it but I would also like to know where I stand and really see how bad it is to a law enforcement agency.

Thanks!
                Originally posted by SSD
                It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
                Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

One or two speeding tickets over a few years time probably wouldn't be a big deal.... five or six in eight years, PLUS a reckless, PLUS four accidents?

Nope.
                  "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

do you guys have any idea how to obtain a driving record past five years? I haven't had any citations in the last 5-6 years, had one warning for not using my blinker(absolutely had it on, it was at 2:15am and am pretty sure he just wanted to see if I was drinking). In my late teens I had a crotch rocket and had a few tickets on that, one for negligent for doing a wheelie. I would say five tickets total before I was 20, and again nothing other than that warning since. My issue is I have absolutely no idea how to get the info on those tickets, what it was for, date, or county because they are older than five years. I contacted the local court house and dol in the town I grew up in and they said they same thing, they could only see back five years for normal driving infractions, and ten years for alcohol related driving infractions so there was nothing under my name. No clue what to do, any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Comment

The SEARCH function and the Interweb aka GOOGLE are your friends.

Contact your Division of Motor Vehicles (driver’s license authority) and request a driver’s history or transcript.

Originally posted by BBhb View Post
                      do you guys have any idea how to obtain a driving record past five years? I haven't had any citations in the last 5-6 years, had one warning for not using my blinker(absolutely had it on, it was at 2:15am and am pretty sure he just wanted to see if I was drinking). In my late teens I had a crotch rocket and had a few tickets on that, one for negligent for doing a wheelie. I would say five tickets total before I was 20, and again nothing other than that warning since. My issue is I have absolutely no idea how to get the info on those tickets, what it was for, date, or county because they are older than five years. I contacted the local court house and dol in the town I grew up in and they said they same thing, they could only see back five years for normal driving infractions, and ten years for alcohol related driving infractions so there was nothing under my name. No clue what to do, any help would be appreciated, thank you.
                      Originally posted by SSD
                      It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
                      Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                      And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9056 users online. 428 members and 8628 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X