300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resume/Work History questions

I have kind of a unique question and I was wondering how others here would handle this situation on a resume or work history section of an application or BG packet.

What do you do if your job title doesn't match the duties you actually performed.

Say for example, your title is "Police Officer", but you were hired to strictly be an evidence custodian. Meaning you went through the academy, and the minimum required time of FTO and were then assigned to the evidence room and never, or rarely performed any of the typical duties of a police officer.

I guess the best idea would be to list the title and then describe the duties, but I wonder how that would be looked at. Would people think you are lying because there is such a discrepancy between the title and the actual duties performed?

Originally posted by vc859 View Post
    Say for example, your title is "Police Officer", but you were hired to strictly be an evidence custodian. Meaning you went through the academy, and the minimum required time of FTO and were then assigned to the evidence room and never, or rarely performed any of the typical duties of a police officer.
    And that matters why?
    The above named person is a licensed police officer with the same rights/responsibilities/powers of any other Police officer...................

A friend of mine is a Deputy Sheriff..............since being promoted to the rank of Captain ( 10 yrs ago) he has been in charge of the communications division. In that time he has performed NO Law Enforcement work----but he is still a Deputy Sheriff.

Originally posted by vc859 View Post
    I guess the best idea would be to list the title and then describe the duties, but I wonder how that would be looked at. Would people think you are lying because there is such a discrepancy between the title and the actual duties performed?
    ALL administrators know that there are jobs within some agencies that carry "sworn" personnel in "other" roles.

Heck, I currently am NON SWORN but on occasion my Sheriff assigns me work that is normally performed by sworn staff
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Well, in addition to my colleague's very cogent thoughts, you answered your own question.
      Yes, you note the job title, yes, you note the duties performed within that title. In this case, the duties were those of an Evidence Custodian

I (we) realize you're attempting to be honest and forthcoming. Just don't over think the d

Comment

There is no discrepancy. As the other have noted, within the police officer class there are many Special Duty functions such as Evidence Custodian, Tow Officer, Training Officer, Public Affairs Officer, PAS Coordinator, Court Officer, Front Desk Officer, Logistics Officer, the list goes on and on. These are full time positions whose duties have little if anything to do with traditional police patrol responsibilities, yet they are typically performed by police officers. No one questions the legitimacy of an applicant who has been assigned to one of these functions.

With that said, if you are attempting to lateral to another agency, that fact that you’ve spent your entire police career in a special duty assignment and lack general police experience will probably cost your points in the hiring process.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10875 users online. 366 members and 10509 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X