300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background Investigation Inquiry

Last edited by Sheepdog480; 08-30-2015, 11:44 AM.
    USAFR
    A1C
    2A3x3
    924th MXS

"A clean record doesn't equate to a clean cop and a bad record doesn't equate to a bad cop."

"Man is neither angel nor beast; and the misfortune is that he who would act the angel acts the beast."

-Matthew 5:9
    sigpic

Originally posted by Arizonan480 View Post
    Last Friday I submitted all of the applicable paperwork to inciate the background investigation process to a recruiting officer. However, after reviewing my personal history questionare and digressing into my criminal history(only have one misdemeanor at 18, and two minor juvenille offenses which have been expunged) he informed me that there could be a possibilty that I wouldnt make it past this point, due to the time period in which these incidents occured up until now. He stated that the investigators go by AZPOST standards, and that they need to ensure all applicants are not and will not be a liability to the department; and that because of this and my age that this would be the only factor that would terminate my employment opportunities. I'd like to get any officer or previous applicant's opinion or expertise on this, as I dont know what to expect and dont want this situation to ruin my chances at becoming employed as a LEO.

Please note that I am turning 21 in a couple of months.

First learn to write in English.............................NO ONE talks the way you just wrote that paragraph. Come to think of it , you need to break that up into several paragraphs while you are at it.

From what I made out of your rather cryptic statement, you filled out a personal history statement and turned it in to the agency you have applied to...............and were told my someone that more likely than not you have something in your past that is going to keep you from further consideration.

That is pretty common when you have committed some offense in the recent past and are trying to become a cop .

I would follow any recommendations of that agency in regards to re-applying in the future.
    Last edited by Iowa #1603; 11-28-2013, 09:40 AM.
    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
      First learn to write in English.............................NO ONE talks the way you just wrote that paragraph. Come to think of it , you need to break that up into several paragraphs while you are at it.

From what I made out of your rather cryptic statement, you filled out a personal history statement and turned it in to the agency you have applied to...............and were told my someone that more likely than not you have something in your past that is going to keep you from further consideration.

That is pretty common when you have committed some offense in the recent past and are trying to become a cop .

I would follow any recommendations of that agency in regards to re-applying in the future.
      Thank you for your opinion.
      USAFR
      A1C
      2A3x3
      924th MXS

"A clean record doesn't equate to a clean cop and a bad record doesn't equate to a bad cop."

"Man is neither angel nor beast; and the misfortune is that he who would act the angel acts the beast."

sigpic

Comment

Also please note that you have a typographical error for the word by, which was replaced by the word "my".
        USAFR
        A1C
        2A3x3
        924th MXS

sigpic

Comment

If we are playing grammar nazi, you should go back over your post as it has multiple grammatical and punctuational errors.

that aside, you would be wise to follow my colleague's advice and find out what the Arizona state requirements as well as the agencies minimum requirements and disqualifiers to see if you even meet them.
          Last edited by wutzcrack3n; 11-27-2013, 07:12 PM.
          sigpic

"When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

http://www.odmp.org/

Comment

I've proof read my post and understand how the sentence structure and or organization is flawed. However, this is a forum and not the workplace or a formal setting. Therefor, my post was not reflecting those environments or situations.

Thank you for your advice, I have reviewed AZPOST's rules and it appears that according to them, I wouldn't be disqualified. On another note the agency has not made an automatic disqualifying chart or posted the minimum qualifications. I am assuming that they are similar to that of AZPOST.

Please note, I have completed the physical exam, written exam(passed with high scores), and interview(which I met and impressed both the assistant director and chief). The recruiting officer made that statement to say IF there was anything that could disqualify me, it COULD be the time period in which these situations occurred up until now.

Happy Thanksgiving.
            USAFR
            A1C
            2A3x3
            924th MXS

sigpic

Comment

Did you come to inquire, or did you come to argue? You asked a question, and in reply you have received cogent, accurate, and correct replies.

Let's talk about offenses/violations/charges which have been "expunged" for just a moment. In a police background investigation, charges which have been expunged, sealed, set aside, or modified in any manner are routinely and typically accessed by Background Investigators. This includes juvenile adjudications.

You should keep in mind as well, that a given state's POST or similar entity mandates the MINIMUM standards at which an applicant can be hired. Individual agencies can, and often do, set standards which exceed those minimums established by POST.

Based on your rather cryptic post, it's rather easy to surmise that one of more of your "problems" with the law have been too recent. My personal "sense" is that your problem(s) are actually more acute.

Now, you can attempt to play the forum for the answer(s) you seem to be seeking. That ain't gonna fly, as we give you the pure, unexpurgated, unadulterated truth. That can be difficult for some people to handle.

And, suppose for a second that we DID give you the reply you desire. It won't change a thing relative to your present situation, or any future application you might make.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Comment

Also please note that you have a typographical error for the word by, which was replaced by the word "my".
                We in the investigative business call this a passive aggressive response to a stressor. It is often indicative one who is immature or being defensive due to the nature of the question/situation.

I've proof read my post and understand how the sentence structure and or organization is flawed. However, this is a forum and not the workplace or a formal setting. Therefor, my post was not reflecting those environments or situations.
                So in essence you submitted a question that you knew the form was "flawed' and were not caring enough to make sure it was in a easily readable format.............

On this forum--------we frequently remind people------that the only thing we know about you is what you write...............THEREFORE if you wish to be thought of as one that doesn't really care what they put forth , that is how you will be treated.

This is a forum made up of law enforcement professionals, many of us who do or have in the past screened potential applicants. You are going to be treated like an adult who is looking for true life answers to your questions and that is exactly what you will get.

The one nice thing about this forum is that none of us have to speak the "company line" . Political Correctness isn't needed on this forum like it might be if we were getting paid by our employer and "encouraging" others to apply at our agency. Here we will usually speak from the hip and not sugar coat the facts of life hoping NOT to offend someone's sensibilities.

I will stand by my original post where I indicated that most likely you have something in your past that is going to preclude THAT AGENCY from hiring you at this time. It MIGHT NOT be an AZPOST violation but an AGENCY violation.....................who knows other than you and the recruiter you spoke to.

I might add that
                and two minor juvenille offenses which have been expunged)
                MIGHT be a factor. There is no such thing as an expungement in conjunction with a police Background Investigation....................EVERYTHING is considered

THIS
                only have one misdemeanor at 18
                being only 3 yrs ago is probably the major stumbling block
                Last edited by Iowa #1603; 11-28-2013, 10:01 AM.
                My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Again thank you all for your thoughts,comments, and wisdom.
                  USAFR
                  A1C
                  2A3x3
                  924th MXS

sigpic

Comment

Your BI told you that you're most likely not going to advance in the process. He knows more about the process than you do so it would be good to listen to him. You might feel that you meet AZPOST requirements, but the hiring authority doesn't give a sh** about your opinion. As you have been told, the agency might have stricter requirements. Your competition is also something to take into account as some of them will not have the hurdles you do.

Don't argue with posters to this board, you came here looking for advice so put on your big girl panties and take the advice. The advice comes with YEARS of experience on both sides of the hiring process.

Covman

Comment

even if you meet az requirements, a criminal record will reflect poorly on you and weigh in the decision of the agency to hire you.

As well stated above by veterans of the profession, the agency standards can be and almost always are stricter than state requirements.
                      Last edited by wutzcrack3n; 11-28-2013, 10:50 PM.
                      sigpic

"When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

http://www.odmp.org/

Comment

I will keep you guys updated on the progress of this application.
                        USAFR
                        A1C
                        2A3x3
                        924th MXS

sigpic

Comment

I will keep you guys updated on the progress of this application.

Uhh, you can, but really, no one here cares. Crap, you could make up all sorts of success stories, and regale us with what a legendary applicant you really are.

On second thought, go ahead. We all need a laugh or two from time to time. Enjoy the holidays.

Comment

Last edited by Sheepdog480; 08-30-2015, 11:46 AM.
                            USAFR
                            A1C
                            2A3x3
                            924th MXS

sigpic

Comment

Well Gang, I received an unsolicited, unwanted "Visitor Message" from this apparently unhappy and dissatisfied little wonk. So, as I promised him, I'll paraphrase the note for you.

Skippy is very angry with me. I've hurt his feelings, bruised his ego, and violated the aura his obviously overindulgent parents gave him.

We're all familiar with the feeling of entitlement all too common with so many of our current "posters". Skippy here is no exception. Having been told the simple, no holds barred, unvarnished truth, he has chosen to react with anger, blather, snot, and the usual whiney assed bullsh..t so very common with clowns who've been led to believe a job, any job, is theirs merely for the asking.

Crap, I even wished this little wonk a Happy Thanksgiving, and damned if he didn't get all hot, ****ed, and mad about that. There's simply no pleasing some people.

Well, there it is, one more happy customer. Fun aren't they?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4567 users online. 289 members and 4278 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X