Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Personal History Statement is exhausting as all hell..

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal History Statement is exhausting as all hell..

When looking at the reference page I need to list 6 people and their address, phone number, work address and work phone, and it can't be any of my family or previous employers and it also can't be any of the 3 names I listed on the next page under Friends/Associates. I am not a popular guy, I only know so many people lol.

Getting all this together is rattling my brain, lol.

Then of course I need 3 credit reports, 2 of them worked flawlessly, the 3rd locked me out of the system and they need me to fax them a bunch of documents to prove who I am and receive my credit report.

Then I have money in a trust setup by my father (who passed away) that I receive when I am in my 30's..my financial adviser says I don't need to list it under my assets since I have no access to it and it isn't controlled by me. My police friends say I should list it just in case they think I am hiding a six figure sum of money. (Anyone have advice on this? The money is in an irrevocable trust)

I have worked the exact same job for 5 years now, can't remember for the life of me when my first day was or when I was accepted into the union.

End of rant...this job is not for the easily discouraged that is for sure. How the hell do you guys do it lol.

Let me start by saying your FINANCIAL ADVISER doesn't' know chit about Law Enforcement hiring procedures. LIST this information.

The rest of the information...............figure it out. If you have to send the credit people information..........you had best do it.

It doesn't matter if you are not "popular"...........there are 6 people who you know that you can talk to about being a reference. Use them

Come on now....................5 yrs ago isn't all that long......................I can tell you the EXACT day I started work in this profession October 17, 1976. . The EXACT day I started as a cop August 17, 1978, the EXACT day I graduated from the Law Enforcement academy October 29. 1979 and the EXACT day I retired December 30, 2010

i can't remember the days I started any of the part time jobs I had in High School or College........but I know the years I worked for each company and probably the months I started and quit

I started back to work in Law Enforcement on July 1, 2011......................

Figure out what you need to get hired
    Last edited by Iowa #1603; 08-21-2013, 07:45 PM.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

for the references, even if not popular, im sure u can find six people that know you. that is unless u are a hermit! teachers, professors, counselors, people you know you well enough to provide current info about you. coworkers?

send in what you got and let the investigator know what happened to the credit report and that you are working diligently to retrieve the last one. note it in the packet also.

its alot of info, but thats what it takes and how bad you want it will dictate you getting the job done! we all now it aint easy, but it can be has been and will be done for a long time to come.

stay on track and get it done!
      sigpic

"When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

http://www.odmp.org/

Comment

If you want the job, you will jump through whatever hoops are put in front of you.....if not, there are thousands lining up behind you to waiting to jump.....
        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Don't forget to make copies of your PHS and all supporting dopcuments before you submit them. It will save you a lot of time ane ensure your answers don't change when you fill out a PHS for the next department you apply with.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Thanks fellas, appreciate the support.

This department was my first written test, first board interview, first polygraph and BI..

Feels like prom night again trying to unclasp my dates bra.

Comment

Originally posted by nicknitro View Post
              Feels like prom night again trying to unclasp my dates bra.
              This is much harder and MUCH more frustrating than that!
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

prom night maybe an easy score! this not so much!
                sigpic

"When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

http://www.odmp.org/

Comment

Just wait until you do it a few times with several departments who all have different forms and ask slightly different things.

A lot of work for a barely middle class job :P

Comment

Re-read what my colleague's have told you. It's great advice and it didn't cost you a dime. Now, with respect to your "financial adviser". He/She might be a real financial guru, a wizz-bang Wall Street trader, and I've no doubt the advice given you was given in good faith.

However, this individual doesn't know Crap about law enforcement hiring practices. List the money, as it IS an asset. You fail to list it at the risk of being disqualified from the hiring process. It really is that serious. So, once more, list it. Good luck.

Comment

When you're asked to "List all assets" do just that. Your Financial Advisor needs to brush up on how the system works. If I as a B.I. find out your "Hiding assets" you'd be in front of me explaining them and wondering why your being disqualified. Be honest and good luck....

Comment

Originally posted by Commish View Post
                        . Your Financial Advisor needs to brush up on how the system works...
                        the Financial Advisor could care less bout how the system works---just like doctors don't give a crap about giving a worker a "sick slip". & never try to have a lawyer advise you on how to fill out a police application.

The "expertise" is in financial matters.................not police hiring

Comment

Now that you see the level of detail needed to complete questionnaire, make sure you don't have to struggle like this again in future applications.

-- Come up with a system of records management which works for you.

-- Save a copy of EVERYTHING you send to each department.

-- Be consistent throughout your applications. I.e. if you list that you started work at XYZ in 05/2004, then make sure that is what you list on every other piece of paper you submit as well.

-- Do your own background investigation (to the best of your ability). Call old HR departments to get start/end dates. If the company is out of business then request your work history from the Social Security Admin. They record every job that you've had based on your SS #. This method will also list the amount of income you had at each employer.

-- When the next department asks you for a credit report (etc), tell them you have one that is approximately ____ old, and ask if that would work. Often times it will.

I scan and electronically file every training certificate, etc that I receive. When asked by the last investigator for documents, I was able to have the PDFs of everything he asked for sent over inside of 5 minutes. He emailed me back and said I was making the others look bad [with how quickly I responded].

Good luck.

Comment

Hey fellas,

Just took and passed my polygraph! Now I thought the PHS was bad..this was 3 1/2 hours of BAD.

I completely told the truth and held nothing back (as ashamed as I now am looking back at how stupid I was in the past..) but damn my heart was racing off the charts..the entire time I was thinking "I absolutely failed this". I could see the vein in my wrist throbbing and felt like my heart was going to come out of my chest.

Comment

Originally posted by nicknitro View Post
                              Hey fellas,

Just took and passed my polygraph! Now I thought the PHS was bad..this was 3 1/2 hours of BAD.

I completely told the truth and held nothing back (as ashamed as I now am looking back at how stupid I was in the past..) but damn my heart was racing off the charts..the entire time I was thinking "I absolutely failed this". I could see the vein in my wrist throbbing and felt like my heart was going to come out of my chest.
                              For what its worth- you don’t “PASS” or “FAIL” a polygraph. The examiner reviews the results to determine if deception was detected during the examination. If deception is detected they will delve further in or say you did not make the mark.

Without delving too deeply into how it works- a simplified explanation is that a polygraph measures physiological responses during a directed interview. It is these results that the examiner looks at to identify indicators. Not one thing on its own will nail you aside from evasive maneuvers- but that a whole different subject.

As for your background history- as my esteemed fellow posters noted- get used to it and keep copies. If you get hired on- keep those forms updated as you never know when you will need them again. I know of veteran cops who ran into significant delays in securing access to classified information when assigned to various Federal Task Forces because they could not complete an SF-85/SF-86 in a timely manner.
                              Originally posted by SSD
                              It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
                              Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                              And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5064 users online. 281 members and 4783 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X