Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your honest assessment

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Your honest assessment

    Hi every one, thanks for taking the time to read this and talk to me.

    I'm in the LAPD hiring process, and just got a disqualification letter, maturity and discipline. It's too early for them to have spoken with any of my references, I believe that their decision is based on my personal history packet and initial background review.
    I was completely honest in my answers, and did everything I could to recall the times and events they asked for.

    After I left the Army 3 years ago, I smoked pot 4 times, but not in the last 2 years. Those were the only times. Not good decision making, but I made the choice and if that costs me the job I have only myself to blame.
    While in the Army, I received an Article 15 for customs violations. Which my BG investigators summed up as "smuggling." The circumstances were not malicious, they were negligence on my part. That was 07. Through out the Army, I collected a handful of counseling statements, like most Soldiers.
    I have one speeding ticket, and one cell phone ticket, both in the last 3 years. Both have been taken care of in a manner as quickly as possible.

    These are the only blemishes that I can foresee in my background.
    My questions is with these problems, do you think that a background appeal is worth a try?
    Thank you for your help, I truly appreciate it.

  • #2
    I don’t know the full details of your background. However, based on the summary of all the events you posted, they suggest a pattern of conduct indicating (in the language of my agency) that you are lacking in the traits of dependability, good judgment and a willingness and ability to assume the responsibilities and conform to the conditions of work characteristic of the employment.

    Based on what you posted you would probably be a DQ with my agency as well.

    You can appeal, but the basis for your appeal must either be that you didn’t do these things, or that the criteria by which you were rejected does not have a valid relationship to the job you are seeking. I’m not sure how you will sell either.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm somewhat new so I can only give you advice coming from just going through the process not being an actual background investigator like some.

      While I don't know how old you are, you state that you smoked pot 4 times within the last 2 to 3 years. This would be a DQ with my department. It's not as if you did this when you were a kid. You were an adult making very poor choices and it's come back to bite you.

      While I appreciate your service, it also looks like events that happened at that time will not help your chances. You have already shown very poor decision making skills, lack of good judgement, and overall don't fit the mold of what I think a police officer should be.

      As L-1 said, you are always free to appeal but in my opinion you have no grounds for doing so. I'm sure some more seasoned people will chime in, but I don't expect to hear any different answers. Good luck.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by halfflash View Post
        Hi every one, thanks for taking the time to read this and talk to me.

        I'm in the LAPD hiring process, and just got a disqualification letter, maturity and discipline. It's too early for them to have spoken with any of my references, I believe that their decision is based on my personal history packet and initial background review.
        I was completely honest in my answers, and did everything I could to recall the times and events they asked for.
        It is good that you were completely honest........................ANYTHING less is unacceptable

        Originally posted by halfflash View Post
        After I left the Army 3 years ago, I smoked pot 4 times, but not in the last 2 years. Those were the only times. Not good decision making, but I made the choice and if that costs me the job I have only myself to blame.
        Yep.....................as you said not good decision making choices...............and your DQ letter was for ......wait for it ....maturity and discipline issues


        Originally posted by halfflash View Post
        While in the Army, I received an Article 15 for customs violations. Which my BG investigators summed up as "smuggling." The circumstances were not malicious, they were negligence on my part. That was 07.
        SMUGGLING-------------automatic DQ in the majority of agencies in the country.........

        Now, I have NEVER been in the military.............but I think they have meetings and classes when units are returning to CONUS from deployments that remind people about things like that.


        Originally posted by halfflash View Post

        These are the only blemishes that I can foresee in my background.
        My questions is with these problems, do you think that a background appeal is worth a try?
        Thank you for your help, I truly appreciate it.
        NOPE.......................you admit that you did those things. NOW you get to suffer the consequences of your prior actions.

        OFTEN people end up regretting things they did in their youth. Life sometimes isn't as forgiving as it was growing up.

        Originally posted by L-1 View Post
        I don’t know the full details of your background. However, based on the summary of all the events you posted, they suggest a pattern of conduct indicating (in the language of my agency) that you are lacking in the traits of dependability, good judgment and a willingness and ability to assume the responsibilities and conform to the conditions of work characteristic of the employment.

        Based on what you posted you would probably be a DQ with my agency as well.
        Yep..................a pattern has developed which was clear when the Background Investigator scanned your background sheet.

        Originally posted by L-1 View Post
        You can appeal, but the basis for your appeal must either be that you didn’t do these things, or that the criteria by which you were rejected does not have a valid relationship to the job you are seeking. I’m not sure how you will sell either.
        There really is no appeal. The agency doesn't owe you a job and can pick anyone they want to continue and thus pitch anyone they wish..........................
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

        My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

        Comment


        • #5
          The recent MJ use is going to DQ you at a lot of places. The number and nature of the counseling statements may be an issue. The "negligent smuggling" would also be looked at closely.

          Comment


          • #6
            Ok, so the consensus is that I'm boned. I have no one to blame but my self. I appreciate the advice and candid answers guys, I really do.

            Comment


            • #7
              Go back and read your initial post. It contains all the answers you're seeking, and totally justifies LAPD's decision to take a pass on you at this time. No department is especially concerned with the "other soldiers" you mentioned. They are concerned only with you, and how you stack up as an applicant.

              Your marijuana use is too recent, and your pattern of traffic violations too repetitive. My Agency would have taken a pass on you as well. The Article 15 you referenced is the result of what most legal authority considers a criminal offense. (Smuggling)

              I don't see you being a DQ for all time, unless of course, you continue to exhibit immature tendencies, and make questionable decisions.

              You're going to need to build a record of solid achievement. I don't mean that you need to find a cure for Cancer, but you'll need to build solid work history. A history which demonstrates maturity, reliability, and if possible, the acceptance and performance of increasingly responsible duties.

              You'll also need to compile an arrest free/citation free record. The minimum time I see for you in this task is five years, perhaps more. Even then, the competition for entry level slots in this profession will be extremely fierce, and you still might not make the cut.

              The effort to correct your record of bumps in the road needs to start now, and be a sustained effort.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by halfflash View Post
                Ok, so the consensus is that I'm boned. I have no one to blame but my self. I appreciate the advice and candid answers guys, I really do.
                For now............................................... ..I really don't think that you are totally sunk


                Give yourself 5-7 yrs of trouble free life, a good job with STEADY or increasing responsibility job history and try again

                ALSO you can try the LCPD................other wise known as Last Chance Police Department. That PD is out there in every state. They will take the marginal candidates, the candidates with otherwise good potential but having some problems with Top Shelf agencies.

                I don't see a permanent problem but I do see problems that need time remediation.
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

                My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

                Comment


                • #9
                  Try Colorado...they may not care about MJ use as much. As stated above, give it some time and you should get picked up somewhere. I think 2-4 more years and you should be good.
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/military2police

                  Helping you transition from the military to law enforcement

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by military2police View Post
                    Try Colorado...they may not care about MJ use as much. As stated above, give it some time and you should get picked up somewhere. I think 2-4 more years and you should be good.
                    Just because the hippies legalized weed in Colorado doesn't mean that Police Departments are going to drop their professional standards.

                    It's still illegal federally, and most Chiefs will still adhere to that.

                    Comment

                    MR300x250 Tablet

                    Collapse

                    What's Going On

                    Collapse

                    There are currently 5843 users online. 396 members and 5447 guests.

                    Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                    Welcome Ad

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X