300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High enough test score?

Just received my written test scores from a city police department. Is an 87% a high enough score to make it to the next step which is an interview? I do not have military preference points to throw on top of it.

With most agencies, anything over 70% should take you to the orals. Veterans points are added to the combined written and oral scores.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Raider97 View Post
      Just received my written test scores from a city police department. Is an 87% a high enough score to make it to the next step which is an interview? I do not have military preference points to throw on top of it.
      Honestly how could you expect anyone to know this?

Even if we were at the department in question and knew what the aggregate score required to move forward was, that is subject to flux depending on how many people score above said number.

Perhaps a call to the recruiter at the agency will fill this informational gap.
      Originally posted by SSD
      It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
      Originally posted by Iowa #1603
      And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

I admit this is a vague question but I am just curious to know if this is a competitive score based on the experiences of other officers and/or applicants who can give their insight. I understand that nobody is going to give me the definite answer instead I am just looking for advice whether to get my hopes up or not.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
          With most agencies, anything over 70% should take you to the orals. Veterans points are added to the combined written and oral scores.
          That is entirely UNTRUE in my location. Point is, it will vary depending on the department. Some department's only take the top 10...if you have 250+ people taking the test, odds are the 87% will not be high enough. On the flip side, if only 20 people applied, that leaves you with a very good chance.

Besides, you should know anyway, they should have informed you. Call the PD and ask for an update, but I always knew whether I moved on or not after the test score.

But yes, 87% is a good score, and puts you in a pretty good spot on most tests.

Comment

The e-mail read congratulations you passed the written portion of the test but that this does not guarantee an interview. The email also stated that the end of may was designated as interview week and to periodically check my email for an invitation to schedule the oral. I got my fingers crossed waiting for a yay or nay to the next step.

Comment

Could you maybe help us out by enlightening us as to which city you're talking about?

Comment

Depending on a number of unknown factors, the answer is "maybe or maybe not."

Comment

I admit this is a vague question but I am just curious to know if this is a competitive score based on the experiences of other officers and/or applicants who can give their insight. I understand that nobody is going to give me the definite answer instead I am just looking for advice whether to get my hopes up or not.

If yours is a Civil Service, and BTW, this is what L-1 was referring to, your score should be sufficient to advance you to the next phase of the process. Now, if you're asking is 87% a respectable score, my personal reply is "Yes". Is it sufficient to make you reachable,as in hire able when the Eligibility Register is determined? That will depend on factors which have already been noted to you. This would also include the information contained in Post#5.

There is no way, and this too has been noted to you, to answer your question with anything remotely close to precision. There are simply too many factors in the process to allow us to do that.

Comment

The City is Frederick Maryland.....I appreciate the replys I was just looking for a range of where that score would place me and from what I have gathered from this thread is that I am a middle of the road candidate based on my test score so it can go either way.

Comment

It's really impossible to know without a rank. I'd assume that Frederick has a department of roughly 150-170 officers. That in mind, they could be hiring quite a few.
                      Last edited by OfficerBarbrady; 04-25-2013, 01:54 PM.

Comment

The City is Frederick Maryland.....I appreciate the replys I was just looking for a range of where that score would place me and from what I have gathered from this thread is that I am a middle of the road candidate based on my test score so it can go either way.

Let me expand on that just a little. A Civil Service process is really a "numbers game", and many, if not most agencies hire according to the "Rule of Three". What that means is that the Chief, or appointing authority is given the three highest ranked candidates names as they appear on that all important Eligibility Register.

The Chief is NOT required to hire the three highest ranking applicants, and he/she can reject them for any number of reasons. In this instance, the names of the next three highest applicants is submitted to the Chief.

If an applicant is not selected at this point, his name remains on the Register, and it's possible he'll be selected in the future. Much will depend on the number of personnel the agency is authorized to hire in a given fiscal year.

Comment

87% would get you close in my department, but probably not competitive..... It's 90%-95% that make it here...

Last big push we had 400 qualified applicants with 4 hires.... Now there's a push to poach top-shelf laterals .... Ahem, I mean recruit, not poach...
                          Everything rises or falls on leadership. Everything.
                          drjayirvin.wordpress.com

Comment

The e-mail read congratulations you passed the written portion of the test but that this does not guarantee an interview. The email also stated that the end of may was designated as interview week and to periodically check my email for an invitation to schedule the oral. I got my fingers crossed waiting for a yay or nay to the next step.
                            This combined with the department in questions yet still does not say if you will make the cut. To be honest, this is one of those inane questions that are sometimes referred to as a “Crystal Ball Question”. There is absolutely no way we could predict, even if we were directly involved in the process.

While this may be “passing” it should not be relied upon as an indicator. More so since you have no idea how well the countless other candidates scored or what desirable traits they have in terms of what the agency is seeking.

If there are five slots and five people score higher than you it could be they who move forward. Conversely depending on the system and latitude available, the department could pick folks based not on their aggregate score but other factors.

The e-mail read congratulations you passed the written portion of the test but that this does not guarantee an interview.
                            ^You have answered your own question. Wait and see.
                            Originally posted by SSD
                            It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
                            Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                            And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Thanks again for the replys this was very helpful as far understanding how applicants are selected. Thankfully when I got my test results they gave me a break down of each section and surprisingly my weak area was the vocab section. But I am not giving up and I will be studying to get that score up for the next test I take.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4982 users online. 255 members and 4727 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X