Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to close out an Executive/Chief's Interview

Hi Everyone,

One thing I've wanted to work on was my "closing remarks" when an interview comes to a close. My Oral Board consisted of rapid fire questioning, and once I finished answering the last question, the board said "thats it, thanks for your time, you did well today". They then shook my hand, and I'm supposed to find out about whether or not I advance to the next application stage sometime next week.

Now, regardless of whether I make it to the Chief's Interview, I want to know how to handle these situations where the interviewer pretty much declares the interview over. I feel that in the case of the Chief's Interview, if selected, I would be competing with the top-choice candidates, and want to leave the Chief's office leaving the best first impression possible...so with this in mind, is there anything I can do to emphasize some closing remarks IF the Chief says something similar to "thank you for your time, we'll be in touch". In my experience, some interviewers close with "do you have any final questions or comments you wish to express before we wrap up?". This was the first time I havent had that "closing remarks" section offered to me, so I thought I'd get your two cents on it.

Thanks all!

" I'll be waiting to hear from you."
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Say "Thanks for your time" or something along those lines, then shake hands and part ways. Normally I;ve been walked out to the lobby, so you could ask "when will I hear more" as you're parting ways.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
      (")_(")
      Copy and paste Bunny into your
      signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

"Who should I blow first"?

Comment

Fair enough, I appreciate the quick responses all.

And to Michigan...O_o

Comment

The oral board is fairly structured. Each candidate is asked the same questions and scored on their response. It has to be this way out of fairness, otherwise you would ask the candidate you like how much 2 +2 is and score him 100% when he says 4, and ask the candidate you don’t like how many bubbles there are in a bar of soap and fail him when he can’t give you an exact bubble count.

However, “Do you have anything to add?” is your opportunity to sell yourself. It is your chance to deviate from the fixed set of questions the oral board is limited to and tell them why you are a great candidate and why they should hire you. This brief presentation takes a lot of thought ahead of time. The fact that you were an Eagle Scout, have a First Aid card or have done a couple of ride alongs doesn’t count for much. But if you can make a quick, 20 to 30 second presentation that outlines important skills and traits they are looking for, it can help improve your score. For example, being able to say something like this would definitely impress the board:

I am 22 years old and have held the same job for the past three years. During that time I have never been disciplined and have been promoted twice. One of my parents is disabled and in addition to supporting myself I contribute to their support. While working I have continued my studies, attending college at night and have thus far accumulated 60 units towards a bachelors degree. I pay my bills on time and live within my means. I don’t do drugs, I don’t drink to excess and I stay out of trouble. I’m telling you this because I believe it demonstrates maturity, responsibility, dependability, and good judgment, all of which are traits you are looking for in a candidate. I hope you will select me.

Of course, you background needs to actually reflect whatever you tell them, so be prepared if they set you down for a few more minutes and quiz you about what you just said, to make sure you aren’t BSing them. But in any case, be prepared with a good closing statement if giving one at the end feels right. Don’t be full of yourself, but don’t be too weak either. OTOH, if you feel the oral was great, there may be no need to say anything more and you just thank them and leave. It’s a play it by ear thing.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Wonderful advice, thank you L-1

Comment

Something like "thank you for your time" or "I appreciate the opportunity to speak with you" or "I look forward to hearing from you" etc. etc. Simple and polite.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                  The oral board is fairly structured. Each candidate is asked the same questions and scored on their response. It has to be this way out of fairness, otherwise you would ask the candidate you like how much 2 +2 is and score him 100% when he says 4, and ask the candidate you don’t like how many bubbles there are in a bar of soap and fail him when he can’t give you an exact bubble count.

However, “Do you have anything to add?” is your opportunity to sell yourself. It is your chance to deviate from the fixed set of questions the oral board is limited to and tell them why you are a great candidate and why they should hire you. This brief presentation takes a lot of thought ahead of time. The fact that you were an Eagle Scout, have a First Aid card or have done a couple of ride alongs doesn’t count for much. But if you can make a quick, 20 to 30 second presentation that outlines important skills and traits they are looking for, it can help improve your score. For example, being able to say something like this would definitely impress the board:

I am 22 years old and have held the same job for the past three years. During that time I have never been disciplined and have been promoted twice. One of my parents is disabled and in addition to supporting myself I contribute to their support. While working I have continued my studies, attending college at night and have thus far accumulated 60 units towards a bachelors degree. I pay my bills on time and live within my means. I don’t do drugs, I don’t drink to excess and I stay out of trouble. I’m telling you this because I believe it demonstrates maturity, responsibility, dependability, and good judgment, all of which are traits you are looking for in a candidate. I hope you will select me.

Of course, you background needs to actually reflect whatever you tell them, so be prepared if they set you down for a few more minutes and quiz you about what you just said, to make sure you aren’t BSing them. But in any case, be prepared with a good closing statement if giving one at the end feels right. Don’t be full of yourself, but don’t be too weak either. OTOH, if you feel the oral was great, there may be no need to say anything more and you just thank them and leave. It’s a play it by ear thing.

You seem to have realized it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but, this^^^^^^^is your answer. Best of luck.

Comment

What's an 8-ball cost around here?
                    Everything rises or falls on leadership. Everything.
                    drjayirvin.wordpress.com

Comment

I was taught never to say 'thanks for your time.' Something about how they're paid to be there, anyway.

I prefer something along these lines: "I'm glad I had this opportunity to meet with you, and present myself as a potential hire. I want you to know that when I'm selected to work here, and somewhere down the road you get the off-hours call that there's a complicated case going on and you ask who is the primary unit, when they tell you it's me, you'll know you'll have less to worry about on the ride in."
                      "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Since you have receive hands down some great advice, I will simply add the critical follow-up/thank you. While modern times have given way to emailing a thank you and it may well be universally acceptable, I am old school and say you should pen a short note that says something along the lines of thanks for the interview and I look forward to the opportunity to work with you…
                        Originally posted by SSD
                        It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
                        Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                        And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5480 users online. 380 members and 5100 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X