300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Bit Concerned Over the Physical Test

I'll be the first to admit I'm a bigger guy. I've been running and working out since I got the invite to Tucson's written exam. I'm confident I'll be able to do the test, however, my reservation lies in the physical. My girlfriend has been running with me and we've been timing how long a mile takes. So far my best at 290lbs is 7 minutes. I can do sit ups and the running however, I hurt my arm (and you'll probably laugh) by plunging my toilet. Believe it or not. I can feel my arm is weak even if it doesn't hurt. I've been working at it to strengthen the muscles. Am I in danger of failing the entire shabang if I can't do too many pushups? Thank you for any info.

Originally posted by xxkedzxx View Post
    I'll be the first to admit I'm a bigger guy. I've been running and working out since I got the invite to Tucson's written exam. I'm confident I'll be able to do the test, however, my reservation lies in the physical. My girlfriend has been running with me and we've been timing how long a mile takes. So far my best at 290lbs is 7 minutes. I can do sit ups and the running however, I hurt my arm (and you'll probably laugh) by plunging my toilet. Believe it or not. I can feel my arm is weak even if it doesn't hurt. I've been working at it to strengthen the muscles. Am I in danger of failing the entire shabang if I can't do too many pushups? Thank you for any info.
    What is the pushup requirement?

Can you attain that number?

Before you go and jam yourself up, at the very least see a physical therapist and perhaps a Doc to check you out before you start pumping out pushups.

As an aside, while there is a MINIMAL number, you should strive to surpass that number. If passing is 10 pushups; try for 15+. It tends to show you are will to at least try for more than just the minimum.
    Originally posted by SSD
    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Originally posted by sgt jon View Post
      What is the pushup requirement?

Can you attain that number?

Before you go and jam yourself up, at the very least see a physical therapist and perhaps a Doc to check you out before you start pumping out pushups.

As an aside, while there is a MINIMAL number, you should strive to surpass that number. If passing is 10 pushups; try for 15+. It tends to show you are will to at least try for more than just the minimum.
      Not entirely sure what the minimums are. The site says the physical is based on the Cooper Institute Standards Test. I suppose I can always ask this Friday.

Comment

They avg. all the tests, so even though I failed my high jump (and I knew I was going to) I still passed their PT test because the other events made up for it.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
        (")_(")
        Copy and paste Bunny into your
        signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

im pretty sure the cooper goes by age and not just a set standard number and differs between male and female applicants. when i did the cooper for an agency, im 32 so i think my pushups was 25 and situps was 32 and the 1.5 mile run is under 16:55. im pretty sure thats correct but you should see if that agency has a website with the standards or call them and see if they can email you or let you know what the standards are. most of the time before you test they will give you a sheet of paper with info on the test and what to expect.
          sigpic

"When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

http://www.odmp.org/

Comment

The only way to get better at something is to do it. When I was testing for police departments I trained three times a day at one point. I went to a 24 hour gym at 0600 hours, 1400 hours and 2200 hours. I had to cut my 1.5 and 2.0 time down. It paid off because I went from not passing the run on PT to passing all with no trouble.

Change your eating habits a bit, drink more water and go for it! You can do anything you set your mind to!

Good luck!

Comment

Guys was wondering if anyone could help I'm NYPD looking to Lateral to LAPD. I am hoping to speak to someone in LAPD or anyone who might have experience with this process? Does anyone know how difficult it is to get the CA. post basic waiver and is LAPD hiring?
              Got That Call All the waiting was worth it ya buddy!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dbfitness View Post
                Guys was wondering if anyone could help I'm NYPD looking to Lateral to LAPD. I am hoping to speak to someone in LAPD or anyone who might have experience with this process? Does anyone know how difficult it is to get the CA. post basic waiver and is LAPD hiring?

Try this website www.policebackground.net. This is a privately owned website, geared to assisting applicants to LAPD. You'll find the site very friendly, and of equal importance, very informative. To the very best of my knowledge, LAPD is currently hiring. Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by sgt jon View Post
                  Not necessarily .

In Iowa you don't get extra points after you make the required number------------------the test is strictly pass/fail

Originally posted by CACBAND View Post
                  They avg. all the tests, so even though I failed my high jump (and I knew I was going to) I still passed their PT test because the other events made up for it.
                  Once again not necessarily ...............in Iowa you must pass each step of the modified Cooper Standard Test in order to pass the PAT................fail one and you are gone

To the OP............................

If you fail, you fail and there is nothing that can be done about it. An injury is unfortunate but if you can't make it this time there is always next time

What you DON'T want to do is further injure yourself trying to tough it out.
                  Last edited by Iowa #1603; 03-14-2013, 04:30 PM.
                  My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by TheTick
                    Don't just train to pass, train to destroy the PT test. As stated above, consult with a Physical Therapist about your issue and get it handled.

I'll also talk about the elephant in the room. Is it a healthy 290? Remember, once on this job, you are your brother's keeper. If I was getting my *** kicked and you couldn't help me because you were gassed, then when I got back on my feet, I'd tear you a new one too.

Don't be that guy that trains to pass the PT test and the academy and turns into a fat piece of **** after and we all need to carry your ***.

I'm not calling you out or saying that you would... JUST DON'T.
                    It's certainly a healthier 290. I've been gaining muscle lately so I'm not seeing any fluctuation with my weight. Even my running nightly isn't tearing it down but I'm not stressing over it. I'm losing weight not only for the PT, but to be comfortable in my own skin.

To IOWA, I complete agree. Tucson is doing four hiring processes this year. If I don't pass on my first go around there are three more. I'll find out more tomorrow.

I'd say I'm more excited than anything.

To TheTick, I won't be the guy and in my current line of work (Crisis Team) I can't stand partners that won't back me up.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                      Once again not necessarily ...............in Iowa you must pass each step of the modified Cooper Standard Test in order to pass the PAT................fail one and you are gone
                      He asked about the test with TPD. So for the question he asked, I'm positive that's how it works.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
                      (")_(")
                      Copy and paste Bunny into your
                      signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

Originally posted by CACBAND View Post
                        He asked about the test with TPD. So for the question he asked, I'm positive that's how it works.
                        ok
                        My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Can't add anything more other than best of luck to you! Keep the great attitude.
                          Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

7 minute mile? You kidding me? Best I've ever gotten, when I ran regularly, was 7:30. No worries there.... this isn't the Seals.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2330 users online. 142 members and 2188 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X