300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Politely request not to contact employer

If you remember any of my other posts, I feel an obligated loyalty to my current employer due to family involvement, etc. On a PD application they ask "Can we contact your current employer? If not, why?" Is there any way to answer "No" to that question that wouldn't completely look like something is beind hidden? I have no disciplinary issue, nothing to hide, hell I basically run the business. I just don't want boss man to flip his stuff and put me on the streets while I'm enduring this long LEO application process.

It is a waste of time to call the employers of every applicant "just because." No one is going to contact your employer unless you are in the final cut. At that point it is part of the BI and you are not going to be able to avoid it.

Comment

You write:

Dear sir,

Call my current employer and I'll kill ya.

Thanks,

Me.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
        It is a waste of time to call the employers of every applicant "just because." No one is going to contact your employer unless you are in the final cut. At that point it is part of the BI and you are not going to be able to avoid it.
        I never really thought logically about it. Thanks for pulling my head out, sir.

Comment

Yes. Check "No", then explain why.
          For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

Check the box and write:
            "Please contact last"

You're by no means the first person who didn't want their current employer knowing they where looking. I had an employer plainly tell me if they got a reference check, they'd advertise my position and fire me when someone who could do the job applied.... Yeah, I really didn't want people calling them until they where ready to otherwise make a job offer.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
            (")_(")
            Copy and paste Bunny into your
            signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

Dear sir,

Please do not contact my employer because I do not wish to be hired by your agency. I understand that there are 30 other people applying for this position who will allow you to contact their employer but it's all about me.

Sorry about wasting your time and resources with running me through the process.

Not really sincerely,
              Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

ateamer, that's exactly how I thought it'd be perceived. So I wrote "Yes." Got my app notarized, threw on my new suit and went down to the police department. Application is in, and I hurried home to wait...

Thanks for everyones help.

Comment

Originally posted by cil_usn89 View Post
                  ateamer, that's exactly how I thought it'd be perceived. So I wrote "Yes." Got my app notarized, threw on my new suit and went down to the police department. Application is in, and I hurried home to wait...

Thanks for everyones help.
                  I would have told you to check NO and explain.

As a former supervisor, BI, interviewer and one who was in a position to recommend or not recommend hiring--------------I have no problem holding off contacting current employers until the end of the process if requested.

I have had and seen other employers who go nuts when current employees are job hunting.
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

When I entered law enforcement I worked for an employer who would fire you on the spot if they knew you were applying for a job elsewhere. Fortunately I was applying with a small town PD, the Chief himself was doing the background and he decided not to contact my employer figuring if I had been there for four years, I must be doing OK.

When I moved on to a larger agency and began doing backgrounds for them, I remembered the delicate position I had been in. That agency insisted on contact with the current employer, so I figured if someone was in a similar fix, I would simply tell their boss that the applicant was seeking to be a reserve officer, which would not interfere with their current employment.
                    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Iowa, one could only hope that everyone has the same point of view as you. In the future, I will put more consideration in explaining why I'd prefer them to not contact my current employer. I run the office and am the only one that answers the phone, and my father is the superintendent. I wouldn't imagine they'd want to ask me or him how good of a worker I am (I'm the best there is!)... Just joe made a valid point that it'd be a while before they contacted previous employment anyways. Iowa, when would you usually contact the previous employer?

Comment

Originally posted by cil_usn89 View Post
                        I Iowa, when would you usually contact the previous employer?

If requested I would wait as long as possible and then I would notify the applicant before I made the call.........................

MOST LEO administrators know the way things are in the "real world" and try to accommodate the applicants as much as possible.
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5244 users online. 284 members and 4960 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X