Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sheeder22
    replied
    Sorry i will be starting a new thread for this.

Leave a comment:

• sheeder22
    replied
    I am in a similar situation. I am an Afghanistan Vet and at the age of 19 I decided to be stupid and "try" and run from the police. I gave up after roughly 5-10 miles. I found out the hard way that you will never escape the radio no matter how fast you can go. I did learn from my stupid stunt, but I am worried about my chances of becoming an LEO. I received a deferred judgment (on interference with official acts) paid my fines and have since put it in my past. I am now 22 it has been over 3 years since my "stunt".
    I am now am trying to get hired with an ageny in IA... so this is more directed towards IOWA# 1603. I was ignorrent when i was filling out my application and when it asked if you have been convicted of any misdemeanors I put no thinking that my DJ meant I was ok to do so... well i just started reading these forums and noticed that is incorrect. I have passed my PAT and POST and know have been accepted to go to my POLY. I called HR and asked them what I could do, and she stated that I need to keep it the way it is. I am going to tell the BI exactly what happend and i am NOT going to lie about anything... I know it was and is MY fault. I am just wondering, what is going to happen to me for MY mistake with the application and the charge? Thank you

Leave a comment:

• jrguerra1987
    replied
    Originally posted by sgt jon View Post
    My sincere advice is to stop while you’re just shy of ahead in this discussion. You came in, asked a question and got succinct answers. Now you are proffering some inane comment that there were mitigating circumstances…absolute balderdash. You fled from the police PERIOD.

You have the potential to slide into the abyss of backtracking and editing your previous posts when folks call you out on the ever evolving recollection of events. Just stop now. You got spot on answers…no need to get into salacious details.

As an aside and owning to the fact that this is the interweb where grammar, sentence structure and clear dialogue seems to have long since disappeared, you may want to throttle back and compose your posts a little much better.
    There is no excuse for what i did, like i said before, i never updated the post to change my story, i updated it because i wrote "thing" instead of "think". Why would i make stuff up when im trying to get some sincere answers, and by the way everyone else on this post is being extremely helpful, except YOU. So can you please stay away from this thread. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• sgt jon
    replied
    Originally posted by jrguerra1987 View Post
    I'm sorry i wasnt clear enough, I did tried to get away, there are some mitigating circumstances but I accepted full responsibility, I know what i did was wrong, and i told the officer right away, the first thing he asked me was, why the hell did you ran?, i was wondering the same thing myself, I guess my head wasnt right, I had just caught my ex-girlfriend in bed with someone else, thats why they said they would take it easy on me, i just paid the fine, no jail time nor probation.

My sincere advice is to stop while you’re just shy of ahead in this discussion. You came in, asked a question and got succinct answers. Now you are proffering some inane comment that there were mitigating circumstances…absolute balderdash. You fled from the police PERIOD.

You have the potential to slide into the abyss of backtracking and editing your previous posts when folks call you out on the ever evolving recollection of events. Just stop now. You got spot on answers…no need to get into salacious details.

As an aside and owning to the fact that this is the interweb where grammar, sentence structure and clear dialogue seems to have long since disappeared, you may want to throttle back and compose your posts a little much better.

Leave a comment:

• jrguerra1987
    replied
    Originally posted by L-1 View Post
    In order to establish the elements of 2800.1 CVC (evading) the officer has to show that you intended to evade and willfully fled or otherwise attempted to elude a pursuing peace officer's motor vehicle. You are not going to be able to talk your way out of this one by telling an oral board or your BI you simply took a mile to pull over.

A lot will depend on what is in the officer’s arrest report. I suggest you obtain a copy and be prepared to respond accordingly.
    I'm sorry i wasnt clear enough, I did tried to get away, there are some mitigating circumstances but I accepted full responsibility, I know what i did was wrong, and i told the officer right away, the first thing he asked me was, why the hell did you ran?, i was wondering the same thing myself, I guess my head wasnt right, I had just caught my ex-girlfriend in bed with someone else, thats why they said they would take it easy on me, i just paid the fine, no jail time nor probation.

Leave a comment:

• L-1
    replied
    In order to establish the elements of 2800.1 CVC (evading) the officer has to show that you intended to evade and willfully fled or otherwise attempted to elude a pursuing peace officer's motor vehicle. You are not going to be able to talk your way out of this one by telling an oral board or your BI you simply took a mile to pull over.

A lot will depend on what is in the officer’s arrest report. I suggest you obtain a copy and be prepared to respond accordingly.

Leave a comment:

• just joe
    replied
    Not an auto DQ but certainly a very easy reason to pass on you.

Leave a comment:

• jrguerra1987
    replied
    Originally posted by TheTick
    It's not good, but it's not necessarily a death sentence. If you get to a BI, just man up and say that you were being a ****head.

It appears that you have put it behind you. I will point out one thing that makes your situation a lot different from a lot of other people asking questions like this: what you have done since.

You ****ed up, bit the **** sandwich and then graduated from college, enlisted, served 4 years all while getting promoted to Sgt, and got honorable discharged.
    Thanks for your input, and yes i had put all that behind me, my background has been clean for 6 years now. When i got arrested i spoke to the officer and he told me that the best thing to do is to join the service, then i would be rehireable, thats what motivated me, so here i am now ready to go through the academy self sponsored and demonstrate that i really want this more than the guy next to me.

Leave a comment:

• beachcop05
    replied
    I agree, it could become a large bump in the road.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
    If you're applying in California, you'll probably be entering a Civil Service hiring process. We've done numerous discussions on the mechanics of those processes.

Personally, I don't like eluding charges. Rather a pet peeve of mine, and should you make it to Orals, you might discover a board member who feels the same way. At age twenty, you were an adult, and should have known better.

All of that said, I don't see the one time error in judgement as a DQ. It could emerge as a "bump" in the road. When called upon to do so, fully disclose the charge and any disposition. Take full, and I do mean full responsibility for your actions. Good luck, and sincere thanks for your service.
    I agree it is not a disqualification.

It will however make it easier for a panel to NON SELECT you....................they have a built in excuse if they choose.

Leave a comment:

• PhilipCal
    replied
    If you're applying in California, you'll probably be entering a Civil Service hiring process. We've done numerous discussions on the mechanics of those processes.

Personally, I don't like eluding charges. Rather a pet peeve of mine, and should you make it to Orals, you might discover a board member who feels the same way. At age twenty, you were an adult, and should have known better.

All of that said, I don't see the one time error in judgement as a DQ. It could emerge as a "bump" in the road. When called upon to do so, fully disclose the charge and any disposition. Take full, and I do mean full responsibility for your actions. Good luck, and sincere thanks for your service.

Leave a comment:

• jrguerra1987
    started a topic Veteran with a background question

Veteran with a background question

i'll try to make it short...
    I always wanted to be in law enforcement, i've done most of the right things to prepare myself, but i had a few bumps when i was younger. I graduated high school, went to college, than when i was 20 I was arrested in california for evading a peace officer misdemeanor , the police tried to pull me over and it took me like one minute and a mile to stop, eventually i stopped on my own. paid the fine, graduated college with a BS in Criminal Justice, enlisted in the army as an infantryman served for 4 years, I obtained my secret clearance and got promoted to a SGT, then got out with an honorable discharge, now i'm planning to go through the academy (self sponsor) and get hired in california. my question is do you think i have good chances of getting hired or will have a hard time? thank you
    Last edited by jrguerra1987; 02-08-2013, 04:17 PM.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2264 users online. 117 members and 2147 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X