Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panel Interview in 2 weeks. How to prepare?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panel Interview in 2 weeks. How to prepare?

Hey folks,
    I have my panel interview with the Sheriff's Office and was wondering what I can expect. If anyone has been through one of these (I am assuming most have been) can you guys give me some tips to help me prepare? Thanks for your time.

I have my interview this week and trying to prepare for it

Comment

An interview for a LEO agency isn't really much different than an interview for any other job.

A group of experienced people from the agency want to ask you a bunch of questions about
      your experience,
      how you think,
      how you make decisions,
      how you think the job works,
      what your expectations are,
      how you handle stress,
      many other things.

While they are asking these questions and listening to your answers they are evaluating your performance and critiquing the way you handle the situation.

Think of it as a meet and greet with far ranging implications.

Remember above all.............................these people will eventually be tasked with hiring a person, giving them a gun, a fast car to drive and turning them loose on the public with little to no direct supervision.

They might just test you in ways you don't understand.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
        An interview for a LEO agency isn't really much different than an interview for any other job.

A group of experienced people from the agency want to ask you a bunch of questions about
        your experience,
        how you think,
        how you make decisions,
        how you think the job works,
        what your expectations are,
        how you handle stress,
        many other things.

While they are asking these questions and listening to your answers they are evaluating your performance and critiquing the way you handle the situation.

Think of it as a meet and greet with far ranging implications.

Remember above all.............................these people will eventually be tasked with hiring a person, giving them a gun, a fast car to drive and turning them loose on the public with little to no direct supervision.

They might just test you in ways you don't understand.

Read the above VERY carefully. It's your answer. Best of luck.

Comment

Thanks for the help. Very insightful

Comment

In addition ...............one of our posters tends to give the "book learning" answer to questions like this.

Here is a recent thread....................and Mr L-1's answer is in the thread

http://forums.officer.com/t184508/
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Thanks Iowa. You saves me a cut and past job.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Thank Iowa. Thanks for taking the time to post that link. You're the man

Comment

I have my interview tomorrow morning, I'm getting nervous . I have done a lot of preparation for this.

Comment

good luck. let me know how it went

Comment

Thanks yeah I will. Where are you having yours(state)?

Comment

Virginia. You?

Comment

North Dakota. Cold place lol

Comment

Hey I think my interview went pretty good but you never know until you get that phone call, stating that you are going further in the hiring process

Comment

You may have done outstanding but still not get the call.

You really have to understand how the hiring system works. It’s not like applying at Jack in the Box where they hire you if they like you.

I’m going to assume that as part of the hiring process you took a written exam. It was probably scored based on the number of correct answers you gave to questions on the test. Next, you took an oral exam. It too, was scored based on your answers. Those two scores were combined and a list was created from them. Highest score was placed first on the list, next highest score was placed second, etc.

When it comes time to fill a vacancy, the employing agency will go down that list and hire based on the order of the scores (1, 2, 3, 4, etc.) In my state we have a little wiggle room and can fill a vacancy from anyone in the top three scores. Other places can take from the top 5, some from the top 10 – it will vary from agency to agency.

Now, you said about 10 people were in the competition. Just for sake of argument, let’s say all 10 passed and you scored as number 8. Let’s also say they have two openings. Odds are, you will not get hired at this time because you did not score high enough to be reachable. This does not mean you were rejected or DQed. To the contrary, you made the list, which is an honorable outcome. You are just not reachable as of yet.

OTOH, if you are at the top of the list and they have enough vacancies to reach you, a call should be coming soon.

If you make the list, what you need to find out is how long the list is good for (when it expires), where you are on the list and how many vacancies they expect to fill during the life of the list. By doing a little math you will be able to figure out whether you should be reachable during the life of the list and when they might call you, or if you need to keep testing elsewhere.
                              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7974 users online. 422 members and 7552 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X