300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excited for Chiefs interview

I want to thank those whom have helped on here for any questions I have had in the past.
    the title states, I have just received a call to have my interview with the Chief and Mayor of the town. I am very excited and preparing/gathering information.

I understand that usually it's a meet and greet but I won't think that way about it. I'm their #1 candidat with a 10 point lead over the other 2.

Has anyone interviewed with their Mayor? How did it go for you?

I lost a knee pad before I went in, so my leg was sore the next day.

Good luck!

Comment

I've had an interview with the LTs, Chief, and mayor. I was 3-4 on the list and basically it was a meet and greet. The LTs and Chief mainly seemed only concerned if I was a good fit for them personality wise. The Mayor asked most of the questions concerning my education and work experience. Since the town was a fairly small 20 man department the mayor also asked a lot of questions about how I would feel about being a patrol officer for 20 years.

They liked me but, the way it works for civil service towns in NJ (or at least to my understanding) they would need to disqualify the people in front of me to get to where I was. That may not be the case in PA, if it isn't then that would be more of a reason to treat it like a meet and greet. Show them why you would be someone they would like to work with for the next 25 years and prove to the mayor you would be a good investment.
      Last edited by Crazed; 01-10-2013, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Thank you

we are under civil service so at this point any of the top 3 can be selected. There is no military involved to worry about.

The department consists of 8 officers including the Chief and this is a department I would retire from.

Comment

Originally posted by Liquid View Post
          Thank you

we are under civil service so at this point any of the top 3 can be selected. There is no military involved to worry about.

The department consists of 8 officers including the Chief and this is a department I would retire from.
          Good luck. I always try and get a laugh somewhere, helps them remember you.

Comment

This Ain't No Meet & Greet

Originally posted by Liquid View Post
            we are under civil service so at this point any of the top 3 can be selected.
            Don’t get too comfortable. The purpose of the Chief’s interview is to decide which of the three they want to hire. If the Mayor is involved, that means he wants input as to who is selected. Under the Rule of Three they have absolute discretion as to who they choose and your 10 point lead means nothing. The can base their decision on education, lodge affiliation, or who has the best haircut. In other words, Rule of Three means any reason, no reason, or just a whim.

When you are doing the hiring, the top three candidates all pretty much look and come off the same. Often times you just go on your gut when you make the decision. I’ve had to go with my gut when making Rule of Three hiring decisions and there have been a few times when I later regretted my choices.

It will all come down to the impression you make. You need to be prepared and put on your best show because you are still fighting 2 to 1 odds at this point.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
              Don’t get too comfortable. The purpose of the Chief’s interview is to decide which of the three they want to hire. If the Mayor is involved, that means he wants input as to who is selected. Under the Rule of Three they have absolute discretion as to who they choose and your 10 point lead means nothing. The can base their decision on education, lodge affiliation, or who has the best haircut. In other words, Rule of Three means any reason, no reason, or just a whim.

When you are doing the hiring, the top three candidates all pretty much look and come off the same. Often times you just go on your gut when you make the decision. I’ve had to go with my gut when making Rule of Three hiring decisions and there have been a few times when I later regretted my choices.

It will all come down to the impression you make. You need to be prepared and put on your best show because you are still fighting 2 to 1 odds at this point.

I'm going to urge you to take another good, long list at what my colleague has posted. Read and fully understand his comments concerning the "Rule of Three". You've now arrived at that really critical stage.

I'm not attempting to discourage you, nor do I wish to rain on your parade. It may seem all too obvious, but look sharp, be sharp, be punctual, be at your 100% plus best. Good luck.

Comment

Thank you for the information, i will always look my best and be prepared even if i was the only candidate. The two others have gone through the academy as well one in my class.

What I meant to say earlier is that I do not have to worry about veterans preference and the department having to select him first. I did see that after this I just have a phsical and psych eval. This will be the 3rd psych eval in 14 months.

Comment

Double post.
                  Last edited by Liquid; 01-10-2013, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Had my interview yesterday and it went very well. I it was rocky at first as it was more of a confrontational interview asking about their concerns with my past. Only positive questions were why do you want to be an officer and asking about my fiancée. After about 15 minutes they asked if I had questions and I mentioned I studied about the town and department if they wanted to hear about it and so I started.

I went on for about 15 minutes with details about the town, and the department, the chief and the mayor and I really impressed them and they admitted to it. I gave info on the town the mayor didn't know about. Following that it went into a laid back setting and I was done with the interview.

During the confrontation, I remained calm with clear and concise speech while being honest about everything. Following the interview, a few hours later, I wrote a thank you letter to the Chief and Mayor to show professionalism.

I did forget to ask when I will hear back though so it's a wait now. Also wondering how the other two applicants did.

Comment

Update.

Yesterday I contacted the department, I was very anxious as to what the results would be. The news was both good and bad. The great news is that I was recommended to be hired and the next steps are a med and psych eval. The bad news is they re evaluated the budget and due to the % of overtime they are unsure if they can hire right now as they wanted to do so its on a freeze.

The budget and ,y position is being discussed at the next council meeting during the first half of February. I'm sure it is going to be pushed hard since the dept is down 2 officers leaving 5 for 24/7 hours.

I'm just extremely excited and grateful at where I am now. The assistant borough manager said my research and preperation was awarded. I'm sure I had the worst background out of the 3 of us but I must have showed the most dedication.

I will update again after the meeting in February. Thanks again for everything.

Comment

Posting the update that I mentioned I would.

I am still stuck in limbo, the council has decided that they need to keep the freeze until they can cover about $100,000 in deficit from misinformation regarding a tax reimbursement.

It is frustrating that this has occurred but it's just a matter of time that I will start my career. I am still continuing to test and interview at other departments and I actually have an interview in the afternoon today.

When ever I hear something I'll keep you all posted. Thank you again for the help both with my few questions and the answering of other members which I have been able to take information from.

Comment

Hang in there.......................budget problems aren't of your making...............however I would keep my options open & be looking elsewhere
                          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5901 users online. 257 members and 5644 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X