Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oral Board

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Oral Board

    I just had an oral board today for a medium size city in central texas. At the end of it they had me leave the room, and wait in the lobby. After a few minutes they brought me back in and said that I didn't pass, but encouraged me to re-aply. They also said I need to work on my public speaking. My question is what would be a good way to do that? Would taking a speech class be enough? Thank you in advance for y'alls replies.

  • #2
    I get the impression that your "public speaking" skills weren't the only issue. That said, it would be rather difficult to make any specific suggestions to you.

    A Speech class probably wouldn't hurt you at all. However, without agonizing or overthinking them, take a look at other possible factors which might have worked against you.

    Keep in mind too, that many applicants who are ultimately successful, will fail an initial Oral Board. Good luck in your efforts.

    Comment


    • #3
      I've done many and many oral boards. I failed one about a year ago (after I was already on the job), but passed all the others before and after it. They also said work on your "public speaking." Whatever, I didn't read too much into it, for whatever reason they didn't like my answers, which remained the same at other agencies and I still passed theirs.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
      (")_(")
      Copy and paste Bunny into your
      signature to help him gain world domination

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
        I get the impression that your "public speaking" skills weren't the only issue. That said, it would be rather difficult to make any specific suggestions to you.

        A Speech class probably wouldn't hurt you at all. However, without agonizing or overthinking them, take a look at other possible factors which might have worked against you.

        Keep in mind too, that many applicants who are ultimately successful, will fail an initial Oral Board. Good luck in your efforts.
        One of the interviewers said I had some red flags with my military history. I served six years and never received an award for achievement or commendation even after a deployment. It's not something I can change it's in my past, and I didn't hide it. I did pass their background and the detective said he recommended they hire me. I'm just trying to see how I can improve myself for next time. Thanks for your advice
        Originally posted by CACBAND View Post
        I've done many and many oral boards. I failed one about a year ago (after I was already on the job), but passed all the others before and after it. They also said work on your "public speaking." Whatever, I didn't read too much into it, for whatever reason they didn't like my answers, which remained the same at other agencies and I still passed theirs.
        Yes I'm sure your right this is my third board and second failure. The first one I failed because I was totally unprepared. I stumbled all over my answers and was extremely nervous. I'm still waiting to hear back from Veterans Affairs if I passed their board. Thanks for your help.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by amn2588 View Post
          One of the interviewers said I had some red flags with my military history. I served six years and never received an award for achievement or commendation even after a deployment. It's not something I can change it's in my past, and I didn't hide it. I did pass their background and the detective said he recommended they hire me
          As you can see from the above -------BI investigators don’t have much “pull” in the process after they make recommendation on your background……

          I would guess your red flags have a bit more to do with your rejection than your public speaking problems.
          Originally posted by amn2588 View Post
          Yes I'm sure your right this is my third board and second failure. The first one I failed because I was totally unprepared. I stumbled all over my answers and was extremely nervous. I'm still waiting to hear back from Veterans Affairs if I passed their board. Thanks for your help.
          If the first and the last interviews were both failures due to your presentation and that alone (which I don’t believe to be true), I would suggest you start here.
          http://www.toastmasters.org/

          I really believe the problem to exist in your background………………..

          Comment


          • #6
            This is what orals usually score you on. See if this helps in prepping for your next one:

            • Experience – assesses your ability and experience in accepting responsibilities and performing assigned tasks as demonstrated through achievements in work, school, and other activities.

            • Problem Solving – assesses your reasoning skills in developing timely, logical responses to a wide variety of situations and problems.

            • Communication Skills – assesses your oral communications skills, which includes speaking, listening, and non-verbal communication.

            • Interest/Motivation – addresses your interest in and preparedness for the peace officer job. It includes an assessment of your general level of interest, initiative, and goal orientation.

            • Interpersonal Skills – assesses many facets, such as social knowledge/appropriateness, social insight, empathy, social influence, social self-regulation, sociability, team orientation, social self-confidence, conflict management skills, and negotiating skills.

            • Community Involvement/Awareness – focuses specifically on your experiences and interest in community issues, as well as your interest in and ability to fill multiple roles and serve a diverse community.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

            Comment

            What's Going On

            Collapse

            There are currently 5538 users online. 206 members and 5332 guests.

            Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

            Working...
            X