Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions please

Hello,

I have a question regarding my eligibility if I want to pursue a career in law enforcement. A little background about me;

I'm a senior in high school, and i'm 17 years old. I've been in dual enrollment since I started my junior year, taking general ed. college classes at the local state college. I played baseball and soccer as a kid, and have a black belt. By the time I finish high school, i'll have 21 college credits. I have also had the same job for about 2 1/2 years working at an insurance agency as an office assistant. I'm in a program called OJT that enables me to leave school earlier to go to my job and earn school credit for it.

Anyways, I've never smoked pot, done any illegal drugs or had any intrest in it honestly...

I've never been arrested or charged with a crime...

The only thing I have a concern about is this;

When I was 15 years old, me and one of my friends were fooling around with a pellet gun and I pointed it in his general vicinity and shot it, and it hit him in the leg. He had to go to the ER just to get the pellet taken out, but was fine later in the day. A officer took a police report, but my friend and his parents didn't press charges or decide to prosecute. The police report says that it was intentional (because I wasn't going to lie, the pellet gun did not go off by accident). The report also says the officer and deputy, as well as my friends parents feel is was just a stupid childish prank, and there was no malice or intent to hurt anyone behind it. It also says we were shooting at squirrels and birds, but that part isn't true, honestly.

Knowing know what I wish I would have known then is that firearms no matter what they fire off (live rounds, pellets, BB's) shouldn't be played with, and that I can say that the whole experience shook me to not fool around anymore with firearms.

Long story short, a report was just filed, no charges filed, no handcuffs thrown on me, but I can say for sure I learned my lesson.

I guess what I am trying to convey by this lengthy post is, if this one incident would be a DQ for trying to become a police officer. When I turn 18, I was going to do a college-intern program with a department that's sponsoring for a couple semesters, get a general feel for the job and different aspects.

So given my past, and that incident, what do you guys think?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Jhol1; 11-05-2012, 01:35 PM.

I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong section, I didn't know if it should go here or in the general "ask a cop"
    Last edited by Jhol1; 11-05-2012, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Stop worrying about it.

Comment

and have a black belt
        ....so do I! I have three black ones and brown one! My leather one is my favorite. Sorry, had to go there.

Long story short
        too late.....

Ok, seriously now..... the best answer to this very....very long post is....

Highly unlikely this will have any effect on your employment chances other than the fact that the background examiner is likely to tell you to hush. If every one that shot their best friend with a bb gun were disqualified, I doubt many of us would be in this profession. Even hypothesizing for a minute that you had actually been arrested for this, or some other crime as a juvenile (barring the fact that it was a seven deadly sins violation), it is unlikely any of that would DQ you either. This is 2012. While its great to get morally good people in law enforcement, morally good does not exclude people from doing stupid crap. In the grand scheme of things, that stuff you did is the Mr Rogers (do you even know who he is?) version of stupid crap, so weak that I almost want to encourage you to go out and have a little fun before you are prohibited from doing so by an oath......
        USMS Region 3
        Info Session: Aug 2009 (Atlanta)
        Interview: 10/26/09 (Atlanta)
        Conditional Offer: 1/15/10
        BackgroundInt: 2/1/10
        Medical:2/15/10
        MedicalReview: 4/15/10
        FIT: 5/10/10 (Excellent)
        Drug: 6/5/10
        Fletc: APRIL 6, 2011!!!
        Duty Station: Laredo,Tx

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
        Border Patrol AgentApplied: 11/15/10
        Written: 12/27/10
        NOR: 12/29/10 (96)
        To:
        Medical:

Comment

Your "shooting incident" is highly unlikely to have any adverse effect on a future law enforcement career for you.

Once you've applied, it's quite possible your Personal History Statement will ask for any and all contacts you've had with the police. Here is where you'd mention and explain the situation.You seem to have learned a valuable lesson from the incident.

I like what you're currently doing in your education. Continue that. Avoid drugs and alcohol, be careful of the company you keep. Best of luck in all of your future plans and endeavors.

Comment

Originally posted by Jhol1 View Post
            I'm a senior in high school, and i'm 17 years old. I've been in dual enrollment since I started my junior year, taking general ed. college classes at the local state college. I played baseball and soccer as a kid,
            At age 17 you are still a kid

The rest of the post is inconsequential ---disclose and move on
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

(F*** Off Cuz Ur Stupid)

Comment

I pointed it in his general vicinity and shot it, and it hit him in the leg.
              Change this to "I shot him in the leg" and you're all good.

Comment

Not to worry.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                  At age 17 you are still a kid

The rest of the post is inconsequential ---disclose and move on
                  By disclose do you mean disclose it to the background checker?

Thanks for everyones posts, it puts my mind at ease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jroc1 View Post
                    By disclose do you mean disclose it to the background checker?

Thanks for everyones posts, it puts my mind at ease.
                    You are going to be asked
                    "List all contacts with police you have had"
                    or
                    "Have you ever had any contacts with the police"

Answer the question truthfully
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

(F*** Off Cuz Ur Stupid)

Comment

Iowa,

I looked at one department's pre-employment history form and the question reads:

"Have you ever been questioned or had contact with a law enforcement officer"? But it seems like it's a yes/no question....

Another question asks "Have you ever (adult or juvenile) been detained or taken into custody by a law enforement officer"? I take it for this i would answer no? Because the officer never placed me into hand cuffs or anything?

And then below all the criminal history questions it says:

CRIMINAL HISTORY (Exaplinations; include specific charges, dates and locations)... Should I use this space to elaborate on the incident or no? I wasn't charged so i'm confused.

Just curious, thanks
                      Last edited by Jhol1; 11-07-2012, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Iowa,

I looked at one department's pre-employment history form and the question reads:

"Have you ever been questioned or had contact with a law enforcement officer"? But it seems like it's a yes/no question....

It may be a yes or no question , but somewhere on the form is probably a notation to use a blank page to explain any answers.....................If not, a yes answer will trigger a red flag that you will be asked about at some time

Another question asks "Have you ever (adult or juvenile) been detained or taken into custody by a law enforement officer"? I take it for this i would answer no? Because the officer never placed me into hand cuffs or anything?

you were detained if you were questioned.....................you dont' have to be in cuffs to be "detained for questioning".................DO NOT try to play lawyer, you will lose that battle.

And then below all the criminal history questions it says:

CRIMINAL HISTORY (Exaplinations; include specific charges, dates and locations)... Should I use this space to elaborate on the incident or no? I wasn't charged so i'm confused.

Ah.....................see my first answer

Just curious, thanks

(F*** Off Cuz Ur Stupid)

Comment

Re-Edited.

Comment

To the OP. I really believe that we've more than answered your question. Do yourself a favor and take an additional look at Post #12. Make that a long look. Attempt to absorb all the information contained in the post.

I have to confess that I wonder about a poster who poses a perfectly legitimate question. He then receives an equally legitimate reply or series of replies, and elects to second guess or argue with them.

Very simply, once more. Your situation isn't going to knock you out of the box, provided you disclose it as we've suggested. Your seeming inability to understand and interpret simple suggestions may very well place a LE career for you in jeopardy.

Comment

Officers-

I appreciate all advice and will disclose it, rather than not disclosing it appropriately and being asked later, so it doesn't look like I was trying to hide it (when I become old enough), PhiliCal, I appreciate your advice, I have re-read the post and understand what you mean.

Thank you to all input given by everyone in this thread, It is greatly appreciated.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8856 users online. 328 members and 8528 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X