300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eligibility Roster/background investigation

After being placed on a eligibility roster, do you typically wait until after you are sent to the hiring authority before starting the background investigation process?

Also, what are the minimum and maximum timeframes you've seen for a background investigation completion after it has been initiated?

Thanks ahead of time to those that answer my questions.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think." -Christopher Robin.

depts do it differently, some will wait until all the steps are finished to make an eligibility list and some will wait to do backgrounds on the top candidates after the scored portions i.e written and oral. Background can take anywhere from days to many months depending on dept and applicant pool. There is no one set way or timeline for the hiring process, it can all be a general estimate but no way to say for certain.
    Originally posted by Rudy8116
    The only reason I have one in the chamber at all times is because it is impossible to have two in.

Originally posted by CruiserClass
    OC is my last option. I've never met anyone immune to electricity or physics.

Comment

There is no "typical" in law enforcement hiring.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Where I'm at, they won't start your background until you're reachable on the list. If they have five vacancies and you are number 20 on the list, no one is going to start your background because they know you are not reachable. OTOH, they know that a certain number of applicants will fail the background, medical, psych or decline the offer. So if there are five vacancies, they may start backgrounds on the top seven or eight on the list and then add more if they start losing too many during the process.

As a side issue, just because a background has been completed and you've passed doesn't mean you are going to get hired right away. Backgrounds, medicals and psychs are completed in anticipation of filling future vacancies. In other words, they want to have all their ducks in a row and have someone ready to go when a vacancy occurs and they are ready to fill it. They may know that an officer is going to retire, be promoted, resign, or be fired on a given date in the future. Only when that position goes vacant will funds be available to fill it - there is no money to hire you before that date. Additionally, even when a position is vacant, some agencies will not fill it until the start of a new academy. In many states new hires cannot be put in the field until they have completed an academy. It is fiscally unwise to hire a bunch of people as cops and pay them a high salary, only to have them sit around the station for a couple of months and do nothing while waiting for the next academy to start.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
          Where I'm at, they won't start your background until you're reachable on the list. If they have five vacancies and you are number 20 on the list, no one is going to start your background because they know you are not reachable. OTOH, they know that a certain number of applicants will fail the background, medical, psych or decline the offer. So if there are five vacancies, they may start backgrounds on the top seven or eight on the list and then add more if they start losing too many during the process.

As a side issue, just because a background has been completed and you've passed doesn't mean you are going to get hired right away. Backgrounds, medicals and psychs are completed in anticipation of filling future vacancies. In other words, they want to have all their ducks in a row and have someone ready to go when a vacancy occurs and they are ready to fill it. They may know that an officer is going to retire, be promoted, resign, or be fired on a given date in the future. Only when that position goes vacant will funds be available to fill it - there is no money to hire you before that date. Additionally, even when a position is vacant, some agencies will not fill it until the start of a new academy. In many states new hires cannot be put in the field until they have completed an academy. It is fiscally unwise to hire a bunch of people as cops and pay them a high salary, only to have them sit around the station for a couple of months and do nothing while waiting for the next academy to start.

There ^^^^^^is your answer.

Comment

Thank you all for the replies.

L-1: thank you for the answer. It makes sense, it also sounds like the this department also will not start a background unless the applicant is reachable. Thankfully, I believe I am quite reachable at this point, so I am very excited. Again, thank you for the feedback!
            "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think." -Christopher Robin.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post

GREAT EXPLANATION, L-1!!! It eases my anticipation as I wait... and wait :-) Thank you!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13280 users online. 484 members and 12796 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X