300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pysc test and my age???

yesterday I recieved a condition job offer from one of the departments I applied to. After the interview he talked to me a little bit and said one of the biggest challenges I will have in the hiring process is passing the pysc test because of my age. Im 21 with no military experience and no college degree. I feel pretty confident in my abilities during the pysc test, but is this really a big challenge for people of my age and experience?

I have the test on the 26th. My cousin and my friend both passed this test and they were my age. No military or college degree for either of them too.

First, let me make a suggestion to you. Hit the "Search Function". We've done numerous discussions on the physc exam in over the years. In very general terms, the exam on a larger agency seeks to determine whether you're fit to perform the duties of an Officer from a psychological point of view.

On a smaller agency, it may be used to additionally determine whether or not you'll be a "fit" with that particular agency. It's been noted in the past, but probably worth re-stating, larger agencies can often transfer their problem children to other commands and activities. At least one agency in a western state has informally referred to this practice as "freeway therapy". A smaller agency will not usually have that option.

Obviously, none of us can predict with any accuracy how well you'll do on the exam. It's very possible to over think this deal though, and I urge to try not to do that. Try to get a good night's rest prior to the test. Simply go in there and do your best. Good luck.

Comment

I have never heard that a younger person has a harder time "passing" a psych exam

HOWEVER a person from the department you are applying to seems to think there may be a problem so I would take that with a measure of authority since he works for the dept in question and probably knows better than all of us combined
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

The one thing you need to do is tell the truth. The DR can tell if you're not being totally truthful. Never heard of age having anything to do with the test. Best of luck

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
          First, let me make a suggestion to you. Hit the "Search Function". We've done numerous discussions on the physc exam in over the years. In very general terms, the exam on a larger agency seeks to determine whether you're fit to perform the duties of an Officer from a psychological point of view.

On a smaller agency, it may be used to additionally determine whether or not you'll be a "fit" with that particular agency. It's been noted in the past, but probably worth re-stating, larger agencies can often transfer their problem children to other commands and activities. At least one agency in a western state has informally referred to this practice as "freeway therapy". A smaller agency will not usually have that option.

Obviously, none of us can predict with any accuracy how well you'll do on the exam. It's very possible to over think this deal though, and I urge to try not to do that. Try to get a good night's rest prior to the test. Simply go in there and do your best. Good luck.
          ive used the search button and seen many threads on the pysc test, never seen any on the pysc test refering to age.

As for the other two replies Im not sure why he said that if you two have never heard of that? He gave me a choice of animal control also and I could make the lateral change over to the academy in about 6 months. I would have to re-apply and go through the interviewing process again but I told him I wasnt interested and wanted to continue with the hiring process for a spot in the academy. Im not sure if he was just trying to see if I really wanted to become a police officer or not.

Comment

Originally posted by mopar9012 View Post
            ive used the search button and seen many threads on the pysc test, never seen any on the pysc test refering to age.

As for the other two replies Im not sure why he said that if you two have never heard of that? He gave me a choice of animal control also and I could make the lateral change over to the academy in about 6 months. I would have to re-apply and go through the interviewing process again but I told him I wasnt interested and wanted to continue with the hiring process for a spot in the academy. Im not sure if he was just trying to see if I really wanted to become a police officer or not.
            Or if he just thinks you are not ready for the po-po job----I think he was hinting that a little experience with the department in a non sworn position might give you the boost your application needed to rise.

21, no military, and no college isn't really a "top notch' prospect and most likely barely meets the minimum requirements for the job.

I don't know of any departments that hire bare minimums.

That is not a big knock against you but just the facts of life.
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by mopar9012 View Post
              Lets try it another way. Here are some (but not all) of the thing the psych screens for:

http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/...cal-traits.pdf

Most of these traits and abilities can only be developed through age and life experience. Some 21 year olds have them, a lot don't. Many 35 year olds have them, a few don't.

Give it your best shot and see what happens. The worst you can do is fail. If you do, the world will not come to an end.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13683 users online. 463 members and 13220 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X