300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medications and being hired?

Im wondering if i would have a problem being on medication. It is not a 100% needed medication, but it just helps with life. Im on small miligrams of 2 medications. 0.5 mg of klonopin to take as needed, for stress and bad days, and 20mg of prozac for a little depression due to financial problems and ect. I could get off of these if i need to, but i prefer to stay on them. what do you suggest?

Originally posted by Rob516guy View Post
    Im wondering if i would have a problem being on medication. It is not a 100% needed medication, but it just helps with life. Im on small miligrams of 2 medications. 0.5 mg of klonopin to take as needed, for stress and bad days, and 20mg of prozac for a little depression due to financial problems and ect. I could get off of these if i need to, but i prefer to stay on them. what do you suggest?

I addressed your concerns in a previous reply. What do I suggest? I suggest that you continue to follow your Doctor's advice, or get a second medical opinion.

Comment

Its not the meds, its why you are taking them.

In most states, every law enforcement candidate is evaluated to determine whether they are free from any emotional or mental condition that might adversely affect the exercise of the powers of a police officer, and to otherwise ensure that they are capable of withstanding the psychological demands of the position.

With respect to your question, whether you can be hired will depend on your mental state at the time of processing, as determined through a series of written and in person psychological evaluation as administered by the department's psychologist.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Thats what I thought, it makes sense. I mean if i was off the medications I would be the same person I am now, but ill just have a little more of a hard time dealing with regular stress from financial problems and relationship issues. I know for a fact the job duties will not stress me out because I was in the military and I loved the lifestyle. For some reason money is my only issue. But if i get hired, I will make a decent salary.

But the biggest problem is that I cannot just "stop" taking the medicine. I need to be weened off or I can experience dangerous withdrawal symptoms including seizures, hallucinations, and tons of anxiety, although I am on the lowest dose possibly, it should not be as bad as individuals that take a higher dose. Well good luck to me, and thanks for the response. I hope I get hired smoothly without any bumps in the road due to these issues.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
          I addressed your concerns in a previous reply. What do I suggest? I suggest that you continue to follow your Doctor's advice, or get a second medical opinion.
          well the doctor is only a primary care provider he's not a phsyc doctor. He just gives me the med's to take off the edge. there really is no proven diagnoses, he just gives me prescriptions based upon what I tell him. I think i should be fine, if not i should be better than fine, extraordinary fine being that I have extra mental support from the med's I am capable of handling a lot more, Because without the med's, Im the average normal guy, I just don't feel like dealing with stress as most people just deal with it, thats what ages a person and gives gray hair and all that. I look at my med's as an anti-aging method, with extra mental support than the ordinary person. Worst case scenario if I cannot be hired while on them, I will just get off of them.

Comment

snipped for future reference
            Last edited by Sierra259; 10-30-2012, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sierra259 View Post
              If you need to "take the edge off" of a normal day, then being a cop is not for you. I think you should really think about what you want out of this career. It's not just a cool looking badge, a gun, and saving the damsel in distress. It's taking a 10 hour report on the most gruesome child molestation imaginable, fighting a three-striker who thinks he's got nothing to lose by killing a cop, hell, even writing tickets all day is stressful because traffic stops are one of the biggest unknowns out there.

I know that I wouldn't want to work with you, as you've described yourself. I'm sure you're a nice guy, but sometimes you gotta see the truth in the situation.
              I understand where your comming from, But those things do not stress me out like i said in my other posting. I dont know what, but they dont. Its the little stupid things that get me stressed out. I dont know its kind of hard to look at it in my point of view, but I know for a fact you would not mind me by your side in war, im mentally stable and in that aspect, Im starting to think people put things in my head, because if the dangerous stuff dont phase me, why does the little stupid things, hmm oh well.

Comment

Police work is all about little stupid things....you've never been an Officer so you have no clue what you're talking about

Comment

Thats what I thought, it makes sense. I mean if i was off the medications I would be the same person I am now, but ill just have a little more of a hard time dealing with regular stress from financial problems and relationship issues. I know for a fact the job duties will not stress me out because I was in the military and I loved the lifestyle. For some reason money is my only issue. But if i get hired, I will make a decent salary.

But the biggest problem is that I cannot just "stop" taking the medicine. I need to be weened off or I can experience dangerous withdrawal symptoms including seizures, hallucinations, and tons of anxiety, although I am on the lowest dose possibly, it should not be as bad as individuals that take a higher dose. Well good luck to me, and thanks for the response. I hope I get hired smoothly without any bumps in the road due to these issues.
                  well the doctor is only a primary care provider he's not a phsyc doctor. He just gives me the med's to take off the edge. there really is no proven diagnoses, he just gives me prescriptions based upon what I tell him. I think i should be fine, if not i should be better than fine, extraordinary fine being that I have extra mental support from the med's I am capable of handling a lot more, Because without the med's, Im the average normal guy, I just don't feel like dealing with stress as most people just deal with it, thats what ages a person and gives gray hair and all that. I look at my med's as an anti-aging method, with extra mental support than the ordinary person. Worst case scenario if I cannot be hired while on them, I will just get off of them.
                  I understand where your comming from, But those things do not stress me out like i said in my other posting. I dont know what, but they dont. Its the little stupid things that get me stressed out. I dont know its kind of hard to look at it in my point of view, but I know for a fact you would not mind me by your side in war, im mentally stable and in that aspect, Im starting to think people put things in my head, because if the dangerous stuff dont phase me, why does the little stupid things, hmm oh well.
                  As stated previously in this thread as well as in your other thread................................

If you feel the need to take medication to "make it through" regular every day events.......................Police work is not for you
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I believe our OP is having problems understanding the message we've been attempting to convey. That message has been clearly stated, articulated, and repeated. Still, it seems our honestly and independently arrived at consensus has failed to register with him.

Mr. OP, rather than repeat all the replies we've given you, please read, then re-read these responses. They are not intended to offend or hurt you. They are intended to convey to you the truth which we assume you approached the forum for. You have received that truth.

Comment

Rob516, I tried to PM you but you have it blocked

Comment

Originally posted by miketheberkeleygrad View Post
                        Rob516, I tried to PM you but you have it blocked
                        miketheberkeleygrad.....................

Your expensive education obviously did not contain Reading Comprehension 101.
                        You are not a cop...............................you can't post in this section.
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7792 users online. 243 members and 7549 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X