300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interviewing for Law Enforcement Jobs

I just recently was eliminated from another potential job which so far means I've failed three interviews. The last one I failed, he told me that interviewing for law enforcement positions is different than any other job. And for the life of me, I can't seem to crack the interview process. So what do they look for when they do these interviews? I really need help on this with advice, tips, pointers, books to read, anything that will help me out.

Originally posted by robin2099 View Post
    So what do they look for when they do these interviews?
    Someone who will be a good fit for their existing department

Originally posted by robin2099 View Post
    I really need help on this with advice, tips, pointers, books to read, anything that will help me out.
    Read the archives of this forum........................everything you need to know is there.

At the interview stage there is really nothing anyone can do to help you out because it is about you.
    They want to talk to YOU, hear YOUR answers and see how YOU react to the questions.

They don't want to know what WE would do
    Last edited by Iowa #1603; 07-25-2012, 05:14 PM.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

A great number of applicants fail either the Oral Board(s) or other interviews. Without knowing the type interview you failed, it's difficult to make an assessment of your problem, except in the most general of terms. The Board does not expect to you know the law or agency policy. What most boards are looking for is the ability to express yourself clearly, and to apply logic and reason to questions which require them. Boards are also looking for applicants who will essentially stick to their guns, and not waiver if a given answer is challenged. There are publications which will help prepare for these interviews, and we have one or two colleagues who offer some very good advice to applicants for all phases of a hiring process. Don't give up.

Comment

Always remember, people buy you!

Do you speak well, clear?
        Do you have a firm handshake? Also, a big one..do you look them in the eyes when you shake their hand?
        Do you have life experience?
        Do your homework, this board is filled with great advise. Also, it's the little things that add up to the big picture.

Live & learn, and move on. Keep working hard & smart towards your goal.

Comment

This is what you are usually scored on during the oral:

Experience – assesses your ability and experience in accepting responsibilities and performing assigned tasks as demonstrated through achievements in work, school, and other activities.

Problem Solving – assesses your reasoning skills in developing timely, logical responses to a wide variety of situations and problems.

Communication Skills – assesses your oral communications skills, which includes speaking, listening, and non-verbal communication.

Interest/Motivation – addresses your interest in and preparedness for the peace officer job. It includes an assessment of your general level of interest, initiative, and goal orientation.

Interpersonal Skills – assesses many facets, such as social knowledge/appropriateness, social insight, empathy, social influence, social self-regulation, sociability, team orientation, social self-confidence, conflict management skills, and negotiating skills.

Community Involvement/Awareness – focuses specifically on your experiences and interest in community issues, as well as your interest in and ability to fill multiple roles and serve a diverse community.

Now, if you looked at the above list and said to yourself, Huh????? then you are going to have difficulty passing the oral. All these things describe traits you develop as you mature and gain experience in life. They are basic skills necessary to get along with others under the most trying and difficult of circumstances, which much of this job is about. If you lack these skills, you won't be able to do the job.

If you know someone who has been a cop for a long time (20 years or more) ask them if they will go over the list with you and explain why each skill and trait is important and what roll it plays in police work. Once you get a better understanding it may help you do better in passing the oral.

In the mean time, here are some other things you can do to better prepare yourself for your next oral:

Do your research – learn about the department, the job, the community, current law enforcement issues within the community

Dress appropriately – remember that this is a “professional” interview

Be prepared – arrive about 15 minutes early; plan and/or drive your route ahead of time; allow for delays due to traffic, parking, etc.

Remain calm – interviews are inherently stressful; however, if you have prepared yourself, you should be able to relax and enjoy the interview process

Be gracious – at the end of the interview, take time to thank each interviewer and shake their hand

This is a rough guide in preparing for the interview. It is in your best interest to conduct your own research to determine what would work best for you and the specific position you are seeking.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

The unfortunate reality is that sometimes people aren't a good fit for a particular job and that fits many people who want to police officers. Maybe you just aren't cut out for this line of work. If you are continually passing the exams, but are not passing the interviews....perhaps that is the problem. There is nothing to be ashamed of as this job is not for everyone.

I am quite surprised that in one interview they were that open with you. Perhaps you should talk to that officer and again and ask him. Perhaps you are only presenting an image that makes them hesitant to move you forward. Or, perhaps they don't think you would make a good officer. Maybe this officer would expand on that for you.

We know nothing about you. Nothing, except you have not made it past three interviews. Way too many possibilities. It could be that you are too nice or to naive.

Good luck
            Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4460 users online. 235 members and 4225 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X