• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WorkToBe
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2012

Had this Oral Board question.

It went something like this.

"you get dispatched to a nearby motel for a male and female disturbance call. Upon arrival, you hear what may be a gun shot. Seconds later you see a male smash the window, jumping out of the window and running. What would you do?"
  • REID429
    Forum Member
    • Jun 2010

Called shots fired on radio give description of man jumping out the window and direction running and begin commands towards the female outside the building first

Comment

• Michigan
      Banned
      • Jul 2007

Very simple answer:

1. Get onto in car computer.
      2. Log into Officer.com
      3. Go to "ask a cop".
      4. Pose question.
      5. Use Post #2, #8, #10 or #12 as your solution.

Oral boards love when you think outside the box. : )

Comment

• PhilipCal
        Forum Member
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by WorkToBe

"you get dispatched to a nearby motel for a male and female disturbance call. Upon arrival, you hear what may be a gun shot. Seconds later you see a male smash the window, jumping out of the window and running. What would you do?"
        They're not asking me (us). They're asking you. So, what WOULD you do? I'm assuming that you're in the process for an entry level spot. If that's the case, the Board does not expect an answer based on any law enforcement experience. They're looking at your ability to think reasonably and correctly in a highly charged tactical situation. So, once more, tell us what you'd do. Perhaps then, we could answer your question more completely.

Comment

• slamdunc
          JAFO
          • Oct 2005

I think you will find these training videos useful. J.D. Buck Savage is a law enforcement icon.
          Buck and Rookie help gather evidence and learn what "CSI" really means in this classic training video!

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

• sgt jon
            Tinfoil Hat Engineer
            • Jun 2009

In this scenario I would promptly roll out of my cruiser in a tactical manner while deploying rapid covering fire towards the location. Hopefully the air support unit is on scene and can guide me towards the nearest doughnut hole dispensary where I will quench my hunger for fried goodness.
            Originally posted by SSD
            It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
            Originally posted by Iowa #1603
            And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

• Street_Cop50
              Night Watchman
              • Jan 2008

Go 10-8. Subjects advised.
              Look sharp, act sharp, be sharp.

Comment

• Iowa #1603
                Senior Veteran
                • Aug 2007

Central.................................I'm 10-8 gotta go clean out my pants
                I DON'T ALWAYS LIKE BEING A RETIRED POLICE OFFICER .......Oh who the hell am I kiddingI LOVE IT. Stay safe my friends

Comment

• dansik
                  Forum Member
                  • Nov 2009

Dispatch, I'm clear no report.

Comment

• M17
                    Forum Member
                    • Sep 2009

Promptly shoot the fleeing suspect, toss a hand granade through the now broken window, hold yourself out for a 10-7E.

Comment

• Starfleet Officer
                      Forum Member
                      • Feb 2012

WorkToBe, what answer did you give? As noted above, they don't expect you to answer based on training/experience; they're just looking at your ability to weigh the consequences of different decisions.

My answer: Draw down and order him to stop. If he doesn't, call out a description and direction of travel on the male and stay focused on the motel room. If he's the shooter, it seems to me that the risk of someone bleeding out inside outweighs the continuing risk he poses to the public at that moment. But maybe he's the victim, in which case he doesn't seem to be dying, and your shooter is inside.

I bet you that what they are most looking for in that question is what assumptions you make about who the victim is.

Comment

• fdep
                        Forum Member
                        • Aug 2009

Go 10-8 if the male half is running away then the disturbance is over

Comment

• FJDave
                          Forum Member
                          • Dec 2008

Hey, cool question!
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by Smurfette
                          Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
                          Originally posted by DAL
                          You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

• MarineVet89
                            Forum Member
                            • May 2007

The first thing I would do is take my pants off. I have no idea what happened in that room, but if my pants are off I'll be ready for anything.
                            "Out of every 100 men sent to battle, 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are just targets, 9 are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a Warrior and he will bring the others back." -Heraclitus

Comment

• NHNSP_ADMIN
                              Forum Member
                              • Jul 2008

Check the room. Its too hot to run this time of the year
                              The sooner you understand that all your base are belongs to me the better off you will be.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 18296 users online. 37 members and 18259 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...