Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just finished polygraph test; wondering when i'll know results?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just finished polygraph test; wondering when i'll know results?

So a few weeks back I was offered a conditional offer of employment with a local department near my home town. I came up on the list when there was a vacancy after passing my written, PT, and oral board tests. In the passing weeks I met with my background investigator. He did all his work, met with my girlfriend, checked everything out about me, and I passed it. He told me I have one of the cleanest backgrounds he'd ever seen. He also said if I can pass this BI, I can pass anywhere.

My polygraph was scheduled for this morning. It was an independent firm who administered the test, and it is the first polygraph I have ever taken. I was nervous about the procedure, but had nothing to hide so I was very confident throughout the process this morning. We went over my packet, asked if i'd like to make any changes, and then started the exam. It was 8 questions, asked 3 times over.

When I finished, he told me there were 2 areas of concern. He told me that he will admit the test is only 78% accurate, and there were many things as to which I could have raised concern for the questions. However, 2 of the 8 questions were; "Do you plan to lie on the test?" and "Did you lie on any questions in the test?". There was no indication of me being deceitful, and he even said he doesn't think I lied purposely on anything. He told me there's a window I have to fall into to move on, and if I don't, I have to come back for another polygraph which will be tailored to those specific areas of concern. The experience left a pretty bad taste in my mouth to say the least, as my background investigation showed, I have NOTHING to hide, and this guy didn't seem like he knew anything about me even having a BI done.

Basically, i'm just wondering how long it usually takes for them to grade the polygraph and how long I should be waiting until I hear back from them?
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."

-Maj. Gen. James Mattis

As will surely be expressed in following responses, the issue of a polygraph is hotly debated here. Some accept its value as an investigative tool; which when combined with other investigative techniques, can provide useful. Others yet will assert that the polygraph is “junk science” that has been debunked time and time again. Regardless of opinions, you must “pass” the poly to get this job.

All that aside, a background investigator checks information provided by you. His failure to uncover anything does not mean there is nothing in your past that would disqualify you, nor does it mean there is anything. It is a process performed by a human and it is subject to failure, much like the polygraph.

Some will offer that a polygraph examiner will proffer a “finding” or “observation” of deceit in order to ferret out a confession/admission. This is a common tactic and one that you may experience again. Sometimes they observe indicators and present them in order to establish or rule it out.
    Originally posted by SSD
    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Originally posted by sgt jon View Post
      As will surely be expressed in following responses, the issue of a polygraph is hotly debated here. Some accept its value as an investigative tool; which when combined with other investigative techniques, can provide useful. Others yet will assert that the polygraph is “junk science” that has been debunked time and time again. Regardless of opinions, you must “pass” the poly to get this job.

All that aside, a background investigator checks information provided by you. His failure to uncover anything does not mean there is nothing in your past that would disqualify you, nor does it mean there is anything. It is a process performed by a human and it is subject to failure, much like the polygraph.

Some will offer that a polygraph examiner will proffer a “finding” or “observation” of deceit in order to ferret out a confession/admission. This is a common tactic and one that you may experience again. Sometimes they observe indicators and present them in order to establish or rule it out.

This is all very true. I have never went onto any websites or read anything about 'beating' the exam, as I was sure it was something that would come up on the test and i'd look like I was trying to cover something up, however I have heard people say that it is as much as a mind game with the polygraphers as it is an actual exam. He did come to me and ask me if I had anything else I wanted to share, and that he "was on my team and could only help me if i helped him" but to be completely honest, I had nothing to offer him. I was pretty shocked with what he came up with. I called my parents on the way home to tell them how it went and they too were shocked with my hot points on the test. I guess I can only wait and see.

-Maj. Gen. James Mattis

Comment

Originally posted by sgt jon View Post

This is quite likely to be the best and most informative reply you'll receive on this subject. Read it carefully, and take it to the bank.

Comment

Well, I went back in today to meet with my background investigator. He questioned me heavily on the domestic question, notifying me he called my ex-girlfriends, and asked me if I ever had any instances at home where I had fought anybody, thrown anything, punched furniture, etc. I told him i'd never done anything like that at all. He said my ex-girlfriends had nothing bad to say about me, and said I am a calm, cool, and collected kind of guy.

He showed me my polygraph results, and tried to explain to me how the test itself is graded, which I must admit, I really didn't understand. He showed my scores for the different 3 'series' of questions asked, and each question marked with a number. He told me '1' was good, and anything above '4 or 5' was seen as a concern. My highest number was '3', and my total added results from my first series was 27, which dropped to 16, then 15. He told me that was a significant jump, and if I could explain it, which I could not.

Ultimately, he said he's going to give it to the chief, and the chief will make a decision on the matter, which will probably result in me going back in for another polygraph which is tailored specifically to the domestic portion of my packet.

This whole situation really confuses me I must say. Nobody has anything bad to say about me, there's never been a domestic issue in my life, let alone between my parents, my brother, anything. That is a very frowned upon offense in my home. I felt very calm throughout my test, and I never thought there'd be an issue with any of the questions. This process is driving me insane.

-Maj. Gen. James Mattis

Comment

Based on the information you've provided, your problem seems to lie with the Polygraph. More specifically, the Polygraph as it might apply to past domestic situations. About all I (we) can do is speculate, and at the end of the day, that really does you no good. Quite possibly, you'll be given the opportunity to take a second Polygraph exam. Hopefully, that exam will clear up any ambiguities which the first exam may have indicated.

Comment

This is why the polygraph is a useless instrument, and has no business in hiring people.

Comment

It seems to me that an explanation as to why your first score was so bad was because you were likely nervous for the first set of questions, and then calmed down for the second two.

Comment

go to antipolygraph.org and read the lie behind the lie detector. Chapter 3 & 4 especially

The book is free

Comment

Originally posted by LennyNYC7 View Post
                    go to antipolygraph.org and read the lie behind the lie detector. Chapter 3 & 4 especially

The book is free
                    Lenny, a couple of points. They have to do with the TOS of this forum and the Polygraph Exam respectively. Let's do the TOS first. You're not a cop. That means you don't post and reply here as if you were one. You can ask a question(s) here, and you can respond to replies you have received. That's all. Now to the Polygraph itself. In a different thread you inquired concerning the use of a website which ostensibly provides a manner in which to assist you in taking the exam. You were advised against using such an "aide". Now, you're advocating the use of another website which purports to expose the Polygraph. So the question for you is, are you inquiring or advising? Make no mistake about it, the Polygraph is a very controversial device. That's true even among those of us in this profession. What you as a prospective applicant need to realize is that rightly or wrongly, the Polygraph is pretty much a fact of life in many/most hiring processes nationwide. Once more, I don't intend to enter the controversy surrounding the Polygraph or it's use in hiring. I'm merely attempting to make the point that it's there, a fact of life. You do yourself and other prospective applicants absolutely NO GOOD when you suggest or advocate the use of anything which could even remotely be construed as an attempt to beat the machine.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9965 users online. 351 members and 9614 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                    X