No announcement yet.

Include newspaper articles in resume??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Include newspaper articles in resume??

Hey guys. Is there a way to professionally include newspaper articles that mention me in a resume for a L.E. job?
    There's three clippings I'm in that I'd like to have the recruiters see. One for organizing a Shop with a Cop event, one for community participation, and one for solving a major case.

How would you go about putting it in there? Or should I leave it out entirely?
    Thanks!

At most agencies a resume is placed in a circular file upon receipt

Comment

Sort of a "Hey look at me deal", right? Should you apply to a Civil Service agency, as a rule, resume's are neither requested or required. As my colleague correctly noted, they go straight to the circular file. There are probably some departments which will accept resume's, but they are pretty much in the minority. Even then, I'd be a little careful about any newspaper clippings attesting to your accomplishments. They could be taken the wrong way.

Comment

None of those things really have anything to do with being a Police Officer and wouldn't help you gain any type of advantage

Comment

Those are things that you bring up in an interview when they ask....is there anything that you would like us to know about you that we haven't covered?
          Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Comment

Assuming you are not currently a cop, adding police buff references is a sure bet to denial. While your efforts are certainly appreciated, as already opined; they may or may not be taken at face value. As already pointed out, most agencies do not want nor will they review a resume. Instead of referencing an article, perhaps you can add a line such as:

Additional Information
            I organized a community/law enforcement event. In this I xxxxxxxxx
            Originally posted by SSD
            It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
            Originally posted by Iowa #1603
            And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

I say......leave it out!
              This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by sgt jon View Post
                Assuming you are not currently a cop, adding police buff references is a sure bet to denial. While your efforts are certainly appreciated, as already opined; they may or may not be taken at face value. As already pointed out, most agencies do not want nor will they review a resume. Instead of referencing an article, perhaps you can add a line such as:

Additional Information
                I organized a community/law enforcement event. In this I xxxxxxxxx
                I think Irish is a presently a cop...................

Comment

Turn in the resume and mention this stuff under awards or what ever category is appropriate. From a purely professional view point a resume is meant to be brief, summarized and to the point. Adding clippings or any additional material makes the resume appear cluttered and less desirable. Now what you can do is turn in the resume and then separately provide them with a personal letter explaining your accomplishments and providing the articles. This depends on just how important these things are to bolstering your chances. Personally, i don't see these things as being that huge a deal so a small mention of them on the resume should be sufficient.

Comment

No, they don't belong. I'd never even consider it. If you were given an award or commendation, I guess you could list it under that heading. You could also list the community action stuff as a bullet point (leave out the newspaper ref). It would have to be one helluva crime for a police officer to have the balls to note on his resume that he solved a crime.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                      Sort of a "Hey look at me deal", right? Should you apply to a Civil Service agency, as a rule, resume's are neither requested or required. As my colleague correctly noted, they go straight to the circular file. There are probably some departments which will accept resume's, but they are pretty much in the minority. Even then, I'd be a little careful about any newspaper clippings attesting to your accomplishments. They could be taken the wrong way.
                      Isn't that the whole point of a resume? To stand out? lol.
                      I see your point about the clippings though; I'll leave it out.

New Mexico must be a minority; because most the departments around here require resumes. "Include application, cover letter, resume, transcripts, DD124, etc. and send application to XXXX." Is pretty much the standard from the departments I've applied to.

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                      I think Irish is a presently a cop...................
                      Sure am

Comment

Curriculum Vitae for Lieutenants and above. Resumes for Sergeants and below.

Most large agencies want their application only, even with lateral transfers.

BTW, no newspaper articles.
                        Last edited by Che; 06-13-2012, 02:49 AM.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10376 users online. 379 members and 9997 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                        X