Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book on Command Presence?

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a book to purchase that can improve leadership command presence? I failed the academy largely in part to my lack of leadership ability/command presence and am in search of a book that can help me improve in this area; I am in the process of getting hired a second time.

Thank you in advance for your help/advice.

Or a good book on improving/developing leadership skills.. Thank you

Comment

Did anyone explain what they meant by 'command presence?' Your post reminded me of a book (audio) that I once listened to, Executive Charisma
      I don't know the circumstances of your situation
      I spent 3 yrs Regular Army. This helped.
      Just some random thoughts.
      Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

OK, great. Thank you Zeitgeist. An audio book is a great idea. I will definitely look into Executive Charisma.

Also, through my research, I came across a book called "Rising Through The Ranks" by Mike Wynn. http://www.amazon.com/dp/1427797900/..._Ky1oD.05ZY26D

I purchased it since it has good reviews. I hope it helps.

Comment

Perhaps you can contact your old academy instructors and ask them what would help? I presume they gave you advice during the academy, yes?

Comment

I'm not certain "command presence" can be learned from a book. Command presence implies the ability to lead. Most people are not born with this quality, it is a learned skill. The book can help, but I'd suggest you read some biographys of successful leaders. People like George Patton, Erwin Rommel, or even successful leaders in business and industry, The late Lee Iococa comes to mind. You can certainly pick up some good pointers from these sources, in addition to the referenced "audio-book".

Comment

Here's the cliff notes:

Make sure your uniform appearance is above average every day.
              Have confidence in yourself
              Stand tall and ensure you are heard without screaming like a little biatch

In a nutshell that's it.

It's not rocket science and it's not something you can learn from a book. Read up on historical leadership figures if you want an idea of what a true leader is. But command presence is leadership. Leadership is not management or vice versa. If you have not leadership abilities you will have no command presence.

What are the traits of a good leader?

The United States Marine Corps (who just happens to be pretty good at making leaders) identifies 14 leadership traits.

Justice
              Judgement
              Dependability
              Initiative
              Decisivness
              Tact
              Integrity
              Enthusiasm
              Bearing
              Unselfishness
              Courage
              Knowledge
              Loyalty

and Endurance.
              Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
              Albert Einstein

Comment

If you failed the academy "largely" because of "command presence" I can only assume that you were so timid that you were unable to take control of the situation in practice calls.

You aren't going to learn what you need from a book, this is something where you need to dig deep and find it within yourself to take charge

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7014 users online. 271 members and 6743 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                X