300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I wasting my time?

I have been searching on this forum for a few days now, and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for so I just decided to post it. Sorry if this has been answered, but I need some career advice.

Long story short, I have 2 years left in my criminal justice major. I have hopes and dreams of becoming an LEO, and I have a squeaky clean record (minus a few moving violations). My problem is when I was 16, I got involved with the wrong crowd. There were 2 instances of 'undetected crime' that I am worried would automatically disqualify from ever landing a job in the law enforcement field. One was taking something out of someones car. The other was a home burglary where I didn't take anything, but watched it happen from a distance. Trust me, I still feel horrible about it everyday.

By the time I get my degree in a few years and start looking, 8 years will have gone by. This is my one chance during college that I have where I am able to change my major. Based on your knowledge, would it be smart for me to stay on track for my CJ degree, or do you truly think that these undetected crimes will prevent me from ever landing a job. (I know it varies by department, but just in general).

Also for the record, I would never lie on a polygraph and I plan to be completely honest if I get to that point in the hiring process.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by throwaway1; 06-05-2012, 11:04 AM.

Originally posted by throwaway1 View Post
    I have been searching on this forum for a few days now, and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for so I just decided to post it. Sorry if this has been answered, but I need some career advice.

Long story short, I have 2 years left in my criminal justice major. I have hopes and dreams of becoming an LEO, and I have a squeaky clean record (minus a few moving violations). My problem is when I was 16, I got involved with the wrong crowd. There were 2 instances of 'undetected crime' that I am worried would automatically disqualify from ever landing a job in the law enforcement field. One was taking a laptop out of someones car. The other was a home burglary where I didn't take anything, but was on the premises. Trust me, I still feel horrible about it everyday.

By the time I get my degree and start looking, 6 years will have gone by. This is my one chance during college that I have where I am able to change my major. Based on your knowledge, would it be smart for me to stay on track for my CJ degree, or do you truly think that these undetected crimes will prevent me from ever landing a job. (I know it varies by department, but just in general).

Also for the record, I would never lie on a polygraph and I plan to be completely honest if I get to that point in the hiring process.

Thanks for reading.

Sounds pretty disqualifying to me. How old are you now? You definitely would need a considerable amount of time doing something notable between those incidents to even have a chance in hell. The only *possible* saving grace would be that you were a minor at the time - however decisions made at 16 tend to carry over into the adult world.

Try calling the PD's that you are interested in applying in and seeing what they think of it. Honesty is the only policy which works in Law Enforcement, so atleast you seem have that part.

Overall, those two felony acts.. even undetected and as a minor.. are pretty damning to you. I'd say you're chances aren't too good.

Also.. CJ degrees are useless - USELESS as a Law Enforcement officer. I would suggest changing your major in any case. It just isn't very applicable to day-to-day policing.
    Last edited by SSD; 06-04-2012, 10:18 PM.
    sigpic
    Any and all statements made by this account represent my sole opinion and do not reflect an official opinion, belief, or policy of any department or agency to which I am employed by. Further, I am in no way authorized to speak on behalf of any department or agency.

Comment

The home burglary would bother me as an administrator. You were 16, while that means you were a juvenile-------under some circumstances FELONY crimes can be adjudicated as an adult at that age.

While burglary is not one of them---------it is still a felony & I consider it pretty major. It doesn't matter if you took anything or not , you participated.

Is your history a death penalty for a career in Criminal Justice.......probably not, but you have a long hard road ahead.

Many agencies won't touch you....................lots of administrators will think 3 or 4 times before rejecting you just because

Originally posted by throwaway1 View Post
      I I have hopes and dreams of becoming an LEO,
      You might have wanted to think about those hopes and dreams back four years ago when you were committing felonies

Comment

Question was answered. Thank you for the advice. I will be calling my possible PD's to see what they think
        Last edited by throwaway1; 06-05-2012, 05:31 AM.

Comment

I would say you should apply, but dont bet on you being in law enforcement. I would choose another degree and realize your chances are limited. Your going against many candidates with no backgrounds of felony crimes, convicted or not. Good luck.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4406 users online. 211 members and 4195 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X