300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under The Table Job?

5 years ago I worked at a small lawn service job for a year and a half when I was 20-21. It was under the table. I made $8 an hour and worked 35-40 hours a week

I never declared the money I made as income and honestly back then I didn't know I had too. I even asked a coupe people if I need to report it as income and they said "I wouldn't worry about it." Back then I barely knew anything about taxes.

I plan on telling a background investigator about this. What would happen? Is there anything I can do to fix it?

It sounds like you were self employed as an independent contractor. IRS has certain reporting thresholds, so a lot will depend on how much you made after deducting operating and business expenses. If, after deducting expenses you did not meet reporting thresholds in place at the time, you are in the clear. Check with a tax preparer to get a better idea of where you stand on self employment issues and taxes.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
      It sounds like you were self employed as an independent contractor. IRS has certain reporting thresholds, so a lot will depend on how much you made after deducting operating and business expenses. If, after deducting expenses you did not meet reporting thresholds in place at the time, you are in the clear. Check with a tax preparer to get a better idea of where you stand on self employment issues and taxes.
      I don't know If I would be considered self-employed. I didn't run the company

My mom's friend owns the business. It's a very small landscaping business but he makes good profits. He only has a couple employee's. To tell you the truth I don't even think he is registered as a entity(LLC, Corporation, etc.) but he does report what he makes as income

Comment

I can't think of any BI that has ever cared about that sort of thing...and please don't give them any ideas.

Should your conscience be seriously bothering you, and there's really no logical reason that it should, you can declare the income, pay taxes and social security on it next time out. But, really, please just keep yourself out of REAL trouble, okay?
        "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

What Kieth said. However if your conscience is bothering you, just send the money to me and that should make you feel better. Consider it a consulting fee.
          Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Comment

It really depends on the investigator and the agency, I know of a case that the investigator disqualified the applicant due to stealing money from the United States government..... You'll be surprised
            Go wildcats!

Comment

Yep, there is always that one example, however for the most part, a BI isn't going to care. Follow the advice you have already been given.
              Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Comment

I thought this was going to be another thread about how to make rank quickly, with no qualifications

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11732 users online. 492 members and 11240 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X