Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background Issues

Hello All,

I am 24 years old and just graduated from the police academy which I put myself through. I also just graduated with my A.A. and am in the works for my B.A. I have applied with a few agencies in the past two years which I was DQ'd from both.

I have been working security at a mall for going on four years now, before this job I had bad work history. Including being fired from one, quitting two others and one from avoiding being fired.

When I was 15-16 years old myself and another broke into a home which I did not take anything, only he took about $10 in change.

Also when I was 15-16 years old, I stole some hand tools that a neighbor left out from his garage.

I also have a few minor issues as a young teen.

I am writing this and inquiring if I have a chance on getting hired. I admit on doing wrong and stupid things, which I take 100% credit for. For the past four years or so I have been on a positive path on reaching my life goal on joining the law enforcement family. Any help would mean a great deal.

Burglary of a habitation is a 2nd degree felony in texas. I cant speak for every state, but you'd have no shot in texas, EVER.

Good luck.

Comment

I was never arrested nor had any police contact for breaking into the house. I was young and dumb, but take full blame. Does not being charged make any difference sir? I appreciate your input a great deal.

Comment

Originally posted by nc8557 View Post
        Hello All,

I am 24 years old and just graduated from the police academy which I put myself through. I also just graduated with my A.A. and am in the works for my B.A. I have applied with a few agencies in the past two years which I was DQ'd from both.

I have been working security at a mall for going on four years now, before this job I had bad work history. Including being fired from one, quitting two others and one from avoiding being fired.

When I was 15-16 years old myself and another broke into a home which I did not take anything, only he took about $10 in change.

Also when I was 15-16 years old, I stole some hand tools that a neighbor left out from his garage.

I also have a few minor issues as a young teen.

I am writing this and inquiring if I have a chance on getting hired. I admit on doing wrong and stupid things, which I take 100% credit for. For the past four years or so I have been on a positive path on reaching my life goal on joining the law enforcement family. Any help would mean a great deal.
        OK, I (we) have just s finished dealing with a potential applicant who neither liked nor appreciated the replies he received. Our assumption is that you came to us seeking the truth. So, on that basis here we go. I'll deal with work history first.
        Very bluntly, yours is poor, and shows instability and a considerable lack of responsibility. That could change with time.
        You mention, but do not specify " a few minor issues as a young teen". If you're not comfortable mentioning these issues on an open forum, don't do so. Any agency to which you apply, will require a full disclosure though. Breaking into a home is a felony in just about all of the fifty states. The fact that you took nothing, and your accomplice only $10.00, does NOT in anyway mitigate the Burglary. The fact that this event took place while you were a Juvenile probably resulted in an appropriate "adjudication" by the court. The totality of circumstances surrounding the Burglary and your participation in it, while probably not amounting to a Felony conviction, will loom large as a probable disqualifier. Couple the Burglary with the additional theft of hand tools you mentioned, pretty well puts your chances of being hired well out of reach for you. The fact that you have applied to and been DQ'd by at least two agencies should be a pretty accurate indication of your chances of being hired.

Comment

I was never arrested nor had any police contact for breaking into the house. I was young and dumb, but take full blame. Does not being charged make any difference sir? I appreciate your input a great deal.
          Makes ZERO difference. Any Agency to which you apply will consider the fact that you admitedly broke into a residence(Felony) and participated in a subsequent theft. The participation can be active or passive, but your still participated, The fact that you were neither arrested or charged will not mitigate the fact that you did in fact, participate in a felony crime.

Comment

I do appreciate all the feed back for you all. I'm just being 100% honest with all my mistakes. Is this a 100% auto disqualifying event?

Comment

All agencies I know of it is an auto lifetime DQ. Youve already committed a considerable amount of time and resources to this profession (albeit possibly ill advised). Why not hit the phone and email? Look for very low-paying agencies that have serial vacancies...Who knows? Dont have much to lose at this point.

Comment

In CA, and my agency specifically....no hire, ever.
                sigpic
                Originally posted by Smurfette
                Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
                Originally posted by DAL
                You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

I do appreciate all the feed back for you all. I'm just being 100% honest with all my mistakes. Is this a 100% auto disqualifying event?
                  Yep, pretty much. In Alabama, even were you to find an agency willing to employ you, Alabama POST (Police Officer Standards and Training) would not allow it. I believe you'll discover that the prohibition is pretty typical nationwide.

Comment

There is nothing I can do? Me being 15-16 makes no difference at all? Also me having a zero criminal record?

Comment

There is nothing I can do? Me being 15-16 makes no difference at all? Also me having a zero criminal record?
                      Ok, you have asked that same question three times in this thread. Each time the answer has been the same

It is not going to change........................................your chances of being hired as a Law Enforcement Officer are slim to none...........being much closer to NONE than slim.

FACT of life..............................those of us in law enforcement don't want felons working along side us............You committed delinquent acts as a minor. Delinquent acts which would have been felonies had you been a bit older..................................

In Iowa, we can charge 16 yr olds with felonies and convict them...................

You probably should have asked this question before you spent so much time and money on your academy and degree..................

STUPID QUESTION TIME
                      When you applied for the academy........did they ask any background questions? and if they did ......Did you answer them honestly?

Comment

Young Man, you seem to be having some issues with reading comprehension. To save you the trouble of re-reading the replies we've given you, get this. You have precisely two chances of entering this profession. Here they are
                        1). SLIM
                        2). NONE.

Of the two possibilities noted, the smart money is on # 2. Now, and although I'm attempting to save you some time and effort, you might consider re-reading the replies you've received. See if perhaps, after a second cup of coffee, your ability to comprehend simple English has improved.

Comment

I'm just going to mention my personal experience. I did have an incident in my background similar to yours. Never arrested, cited, or charged. One agency didn't care, when I tried to move to another agency they saw it as a extremely serious felony. I did my inquiries with some other agencies and I got both good and bad news. Some of them reaffirmed and said it would be grounds of DQ. The very few that said It is not going to be an issue gave me some short explanations.

1. It is not anywhere close to be a serious crime

2. The event took place in a different century

One of friends who is a peace Officer, I can tell you that he has done worst than you when he was under 16, he is now a violent crimes Detective.
                          Go wildcats!

Comment

Originally posted by striketm View Post
                            I'm just going to mention my personal experience. I did have an incident in my background similar to yours. Never arrested, cited, or charged. One agency didn't care, when I tried to move to another agency they saw it as a extremely serious felony. I did my inquiries with some other agencies and I got both good and bad news. Some of them reaffirmed and said it would be grounds of DQ. The very few that said It is not going to be an issue gave me some short explanations.

1. It is not anywhere close to be a serious crime

2. The event took place in a different century

One of friends who is a peace Officer, I can tell you that he has done worst than you when he was under 16, he is now a violent crimes Detective.

While not totally discounting your reply as stated above, our OP would NOT be hire able in Alabama. I believe that prohibition would apply in just about any of the fifty states. In the unlikely event an agency chose to to employ him, that state's POST or equivalent agency would prohibit it. Even where that stricture not to exist, our OP emerges as far less than a stellar candidate. That is especially true given the still crappy economy, and the intense competition for jobs in our profession at present. Departments can afford to be, and will continue to be very, very choosy in their selection of candidates. I also take exception to your assertion that his is, and I quote "It is not anywhere close to be a serious crime". You go on to state, "The event took place in a different century". While technically true, the comment has no practical application to the young man's situation. Back to your assertion #1. Burglary is ALWAYS a serious crime. Period. It's a felony. That fact, and the circumstances surrounding it are going to loom large, and in a profoundly negative way, in any application our OP makes.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                              While not totally discounting your reply as stated above, our OP would NOT be hire able in Alabama. I believe that prohibition would apply in just about any of the fifty states. In the unlikely event an agency chose to to employ him, that state's POST or equivalent agency would prohibit it. Even where that stricture not to exist, our OP emerges as far less than a stellar candidate. That is especially true given the still crappy economy, and the intense competition for jobs in our profession at present. Departments can afford to be, and will continue to be very, very choosy in their selection of candidates. I also take exception to your assertion that his is, and I quote "It is not anywhere close to be a serious crime". You go on to state, "The event took place in a different century". While technically true, the comment has no practical application to the young man's situation. Back to your assertion #1. Burglary is ALWAYS a serious crime. Period. It's a felony. That fact, and the circumstances surrounding it are going to loom large, and in a profoundly negative way, in any application our OP makes.
                              maybe she should try AZ
                              Go wildcats!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3897 users online. 192 members and 3705 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X