300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20yr seeking a LEO career.

I am in college and I wanted to explore the law enforcement side. And I am applying for a reserve position. A little background about me, I have 6 traffic violations such as speeding and seat belt, and 2 after I was 18. I have one misdemeanor which was 5th degree theft when I was around 16-17, but I had to do community service. Since then I have not gotten any misdemeanor or traffic violations. Should I wait longer to apply or should I take a shot and apply.

What was the Misdemeanor for?
    Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Comment

5th degree theft, I gave back the item I stole and left ashamed from peer pressure. It was a 20.00$ bottle of alcohol

Comment

Sounds like you need to worry less about the traffic infractions and more about stealing alcohol to support an (ongoing?) underage drinking habit.

No cop is perfect but you are going to have to pass some time to make up for that.
        Are you saying you returned the alcohol only because your friends spoke their mind about it?

PERSONAL (not friends') integrity is a big part of this job.

Comment

No because, I felt bad about stealing it. On the traffic side, it was due to my teenage job of delivering pizza's. But I cant solely blame my poor driving habits on that job. And for the time, I haven't gotten charged with anything since then.

Comment

Originally posted by Wingmania View Post
            No because, I felt bad about stealing it. .
            So you weren't even a good thief...................

Ok that was basically a joke.........................but it doesn't matter if you gave it back or not------------- it was a crime and you will be looking at a minimum of 5 yrs before a department is going to look at you

That is good because 6 traffic violations in 4 yrs is going to keep you out of most departments for some time also............................plan on being ticket free fro 5 yrs or so.

A traffic history such as yours shows a blatant disregard for the law and for following rules.....that tendency doesn't look good on a LE application
            My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

So I shouldn't even turn in my application?

Comment

What does it hurt to apply.

I wouldn't recommend you but that is me.
                My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Would my age be a factor? I turn 21 in a couple of months..

Comment

What do you mean about feeling bad? Did you get away with stealing it and have an attack of conscious and return it, or did you get caught and feel bad?

Comment

Originally posted by jakflak View Post
                      What do you mean about feeling bad? Did you get away with stealing it and have an attack of conscious and return it, or did you get caught and feel bad?

Does it even matter? He already shows poor moral character by actually having considered doing and then actually carrying out the theft.
                      Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Comment

Originally posted by Buffaloboy View Post
                        Does it even matter? He already shows poor moral character by actually having considered doing and then actually carrying out the theft.
                        Agreed, but I think there's a world of difference between doing the right thing in the end based on conscious and just feeling bad you got caught.

Comment

While differentiating right from wrong is a necessary quality of being a good cop, doing so after the fact, doesn't count. That is why time in proving that you can do so before/during a situation is key to your overall success in getting hired.

Comment

No because, I felt bad about stealing it. On the traffic side, it was due to my teenage job of delivering pizza's. But I cant solely blame my poor driving habits on that job. And for the time, I haven't gotten charged with anything since then.
                            Try this, and this might hurt. Blame the citations on yourself, not the job. That will be a major step in achieving the maturity needed in this profession. The theft goes directly to the issue of personal integrity. That is another vital ingredient in the makeup of a Law Enforcement Officer. I see much justification, rationalization, and minimization in your post(s). Dumb ***ed excuses in other words, and that Young Sir, simply won't cut it. I suggest you wait a few years, get your own act together, then consider applying.

Comment

So I shouldn't even turn in my application?
                              No, I'd wait. Right now, you'd be toast. Perhaps in another three to five years........maybe.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4112 users online. 251 members and 3861 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X