Written Psych results?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Written Psych results?

I took the written portion of the psych exam about five weeks ago. I have yet to hear anything back from the agency. How long does it usually takes to be scheduled for the oral portion with the doc? Can you fail the psych based on just the written? I used the search function, but really only found answers about passing/failing results after both portions. Any help would be appreciated.

Agency dependent.

Everything will depend on the workload of the individuals who handle the testings

Comment

Originally posted by owg View Post
      I took the written portion of the psych exam about five weeks ago. I have yet to hear anything back from the agency. How long does it usually takes to be scheduled for the oral portion with the doc? Can you fail the psych based on just the written? I used the search function, but really only found answers about passing/failing results after both portions. Any help would be appreciated.
      It depends on what Psych test you took. You can fail on some just based on your written. NYPD one back in 88 was 1640 questions. I know lots of guys who failed it and never made it to the interview. And, if you make it to the oral, secretly record it as long as it's legal in your state. Go to http://www.rcfp.org/can-we-tape/state-state-guide to make sure. I know a few people who failed their Psych and used the recording to challenge their oral assessment. I'm sure one particular POGUE here will complain about this, but interviewers have bad days too and they are mainly SUBJECTIVE tests that can be challenged and won.

I knew they were going to fail a friend of mine for a minor criminal issue he had when he was a kid, so I had him secretly record it. I knew plenty of people that got hired with DUAIs and I coached him on it. It was going very badly and half-way through the interview his tape cassette clicked off. He reached into his bag, flipped the tape over, and re-started it. The interviewer was floored he was recording it and left the room. She came back with the Sgt. and they told him to sit in their waiting room. A short while later they told him the interview was over and would be notified by his investigator of the results. He passed.

Comment

what is a cassette?

Comment

Originally posted by sigcopper View Post
          what is a cassette?
          Sig................

You aren't going to get an answer from him...............he got banned. Giving bad info like he did here wasn't bad enough, but when he was called out as a liar...............he posted some personal information about a member..............AND PHOTOS of the members family.

He is done banned and should be forever..................

Cassettes.......................heck I used to have reel-to-reel tape recorders.................

Comment

I didn't read the"banned". Was shocked to hear him say to record your future boss. I still have my 8 tracks!

Comment

Not only was it terrible advice that I didn't ask for and would never follow, it reminded me of Billy Madison, and we are all a little dumber for hearing it. Thanks for the heads up on him being banned.

Comment

I've had two psych tests. The first time I was never called back for. The second one, right after turning in the test we talked for about 1/2 hour. Nothing after that. Why not call and put your mind to ease?

Comment

I've had two psych tests.
                  I had to take one recently................I flunked the MMPI.---This is not unusual for experienced officers.

35 ysr on the job and you have changed so much you almost can't pass them.

A quick "chat" with the state psychologist cleared up the problem and I was good to go

I didn't read the"banned". Was shocked to hear him say to record your future boss. I still have my 8 tracks!
                  Many of his posts are still available to read (an experienced cop can see HE really has a problem)............The stuff that got him banned vanished

I saw an 8 track for sale at a garage sale the other day..............no tapes but just the player.................
                  Last edited by Iowa #1603; 03-31-2012, 12:21 PM.

Comment

In my experience (limited though) a psych interview has two portions. One consisting of a written (actually multiple choice) exam where they have you answer the same 10 questions millions of times all worded differently, and then an oral part where you talk to the doc and he asks you questions based on the results. Now, I've only taken one of these tests so I'm surely not an expert.

I am of a few minds on these things. On one hand i think they are actually horse**** for determining anything useful, but very useful to an agency as a "liability catcher" so they can say in court that they had an officer "checked" before hiring him. On the other hand, they can probably easily identify people with serious issues so it can't be all bad. The test is VERY long and isn't easy. It is so long and in depth, that you can't lie on it and someone "playing the part" would be caught.

If it was an interview with an actual psychologist, then I'm shocked there wasn't an interview part where the applicant and the doc didn't sit down and have a conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinCW View Post

If it was an interview with an actual psychologist, then I'm shocked there wasn't an interview part where the applicant and the doc didn't sit down and have a conversation.
                      In Iowa you only talk to the psychologist if there is a problem.................

Comment

I've had two psych tests. The first time I was never called back for. The second one, right after turning in the test we talked for about 1/2 hour. Nothing after that. Why not call and put your mind to ease?
                        Before the test, the lieutenant in charge of the background investigations made it VERY clear he didn't want phone calls asking where we were in the process. I was under the impression the oral interview (the doc was there and said there would be one) would be shortly after the written. Just wondering if 6 weeks or more is normal.

Comment

Originally posted by owg View Post
                          Before the test, the lieutenant in charge of the background investigations made it VERY clear he didn't want phone calls asking where we were in the process. I was under the impression the oral interview (the doc was there and said there would be one) would be shortly after the written. Just wondering if 6 weeks or more is normal.

Follow those highlighted instructions (Bold)

If the psychologist said there would be an interview----there will be for those advancing in the process

"Normal" would signify that the process is standard among the 15,000 Law Enforcement Agencies in the United States...............

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

Follow those highlighted instructions (Bold)

If the psychologist said there would be an interview----there will be for those advancing in the process

"Normal" would signify that the process is standard among the 15,000 Law Enforcement Agencies in the United States...............
                            Good point, thanks. I guess nerves and the waiting game are getting the best of me!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5228 users online. 196 members and 5032 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                            X