Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BGs, Polys, Psychs...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BGs, Polys, Psychs...

    I know that this is a bit of a random question with a lot of variables, but I wanted to ask anyway.

    The process in which the current PD I'm applying for starts with written, physical fitness, oral board. Applicant must pass each step before moving on to the next. Once the oral board is completed each applicant is scored and put on a list to be picked from. The process started with about 150 people. I am currently going for my oral board this week with about 25 other applicants. Last year my friend was #14 on the list and was one of 4 people hired due to everyone above him failing the BG, Poly, or Psych exam.

    My question is, how often does this actually work out? Do that many people typically do well on everything just to have one of these exams trip them up, or do you think his hiring was just a lucky fluke?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Seekr View Post
    I know that this is a bit of a random question with a lot of variables, but I wanted to ask anyway.

    The process in which the current PD I'm applying for starts with written, physical fitness, oral board. Applicant must pass each step before moving on to the next. Once the oral board is completed each applicant is scored and put on a list to be picked from. The process started with about 150 people. I am currently going for my oral board this week with about 25 other applicants. Last year my friend was #14 on the list and was one of 4 people hired due to everyone above him failing the BG, Poly, or Psych exam.

    My question is, how often does this actually work out? Do that many people typically do well on everything just to have one of these exams trip them up, or do you think his hiring was just a lucky fluke?
    It will depend on the quality of the applicants as well as the needs of the agency.


    Sometimes it depends on timing and/or the luck of the draw............................

    As an employer, I may like you better than the person above/below you------------and if the rules allow it I might pick you over one of the others---or vise versa.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
      It will depend on the quality of the applicants as well as the needs of the agency.


      Sometimes it depends on timing and/or the luck of the draw............................

      As an employer, I may like you better than the person above/below you------------and if the rules allow it I might pick you over one of the others---or vise versa.
      That's what I figured Iowa. I did ok on my written and finished #1 on my physical fitness test. The officers talked really good to me and gave me a couple of tips on the rest of the process. My friends seem to think I have a good shot, but of course they will say that. They're my friends. lol

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
        It will depend on the quality of the applicants as well as the needs of the agency.


        Sometimes it depends on timing and/or the luck of the draw............................

        As an employer, I may like you better than the person above/below you------------and if the rules allow it I might pick you over one of the others---or vise versa.
        Very good answer. Sometimes it just works out that way.

        Comment


        • #5
          If you're in a Civil Service process, the "rule of three" will likely apply. This means that the Appointing Authority can choose from among the top three candidates on the Eligibility Register submitted to him/her. For example, if three names are submitted to the Appointing Authority, and yours is the last name of the three in terms of ranking, you can still be appointed. That, truly is the "luck of the draw", and mirrors Iowa's reply to you.

          Comment


          • #6
            I took a psych exam with another department a few months ago and failed due to "unfavorable information". I have been scheduled for another one in two weeks with another agency but I am freaking out because I would hate to get the same results. I know I would make a good LEO but I just have to get pass this hurdle. Anyone have any suggestions???

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by blindphaith06 View Post
              I took a psych exam with another department a few months ago and failed due to "unfavorable information". I have been scheduled for another one in two weeks with another agency but I am freaking out because I would hate to get the same results. I know I would make a good LEO but I just have to get pass this hurdle. Anyone have any suggestions???
              It has been noted many times that you can fail a psych test one day and pass it the next.


              Unfortunately what you think about you making a good LEO isn't germane............it is what the hiring panel thinks . They rely on the information that is gathered during the application/testing/investigation phases of the hiring process to make decisions on who is going to get the chance to "make a good LEO"

              Now that I mentioned that..............................if you really want to be a cop, continue applying and testing. If by chance you continue to fail a particular area of the process------that might show a problem. But if you just have problems once---that is a different matter.

              Comment


              • #8
                Cool thanks for the response and I will keep doing just that!!!

                Comment

                What's Going On

                Collapse

                There are currently 10377 users online. 396 members and 9981 guests.

                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                Working...
                X