300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In home interview

I am currently going through the background phase at a sheriff's office. The BI has contacted me and has started his investigation. He also wants to schedule an in home interview with me. The question I have is two-fold. What will this interview be about? If I had to guess, I would think that the interview would be about what he finds during his investigation but is there more to it? and What should I wear to this interview? I know that for the most part you should always dress to impress but I feel like I would come off as weird wearing a suit around my house.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by suitcase06 View Post
    I am currently going through the background phase at a sheriff's office. The BI has contacted me and has started his investigation. He also wants to schedule an in home interview with me. The question I have is two-fold. What will this interview be about? If I had to guess, I would think that the interview would be about what he finds during his investigation but is there more to it? and What should I wear to this interview? I know that for the most part you should always dress to impress but I feel like I would come off as weird wearing a suit around my house.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Screw it, it's your house, I say come to door in nothing but underwear.

Really though, I've never heard of an in-home interview. I guess I'd suggest business casual (nice pants and a polo). I agree wearing a suit in your house would be a little weird.
    What dept is doing an in-home interview?
    Last edited by CACBAND; 11-07-2011, 10:13 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
    (")_(")
    Copy and paste Bunny into your
    signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

Many agencies do an in home interview. It's simply an additional phase of the Background Investigation. Dress neatly, but casually. Neatly pressed trousers/polo. should do nicely. Make certain your quarters are neat and presentable. The interview will probably be rather informal, and could cover a variety of topics. It's just another look at you as a prospective candidate.

Comment

I had an in home interview. It consisted of my BI showing up unannounced at 9 am while I was still asleep and taking a peek around my house to make sure I wasn't hiding anything.

Comment

Secret Service does home interviews for agents and uniformed division. I did wear a suit but the BI (an older, laidback retired agent) said that it wasn't a big deal. So I bet casual is an okay way to go.

Comment

As stated above, this is a normal procedure for many departments. The Investigator wishes to see you in your natural environment.

I always advise applicants to wear a suit and tie at all encounters in the hiring process unless you are specifically are instructed differently.......................This is the one exception.. Your house/your rules. HOWEVER business casual is approrirate since this IS a business meeting.

This is often a time where the BI meets a wife/significant other and is able to get a reading on your life outside the rigid employment process.

Comment

PhilipCal, as usual, gave you excellent info. No blue jeans and tshirt. Suit would be OK but not necessary. Nice slacks and nice, pressed dress shirt. Polish your shoes. Make sure your place is neat and clean.
              Remember - it's still an interview. Remain professional. I've seen people lose their chances during a home interview.
              183 FBINA

Comment

As already noted by my learned colleagues, a home interview is quite common in some sectors. They serve several purposes; to meet you in your comfort zone without the “pressures” of an in-office interview and assess albeit briefly what your home situation is. Quite often background investigators do not have the luxury of a large or accommodating office, some like to get out of the office and others yet still have no office where they can have a sit down with you.

As for attire, I would aim for middle of the road. I would neither answer the door in your boxers nor wear a suit, unless your normally in a suit and meet them before or after work.
                Originally posted by SSD
                It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
                Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

for my in home interview with Savannah Chatham Metro PD, I was dressed in a polo, and some shorts(not cut-offs), and some tennis shoes, try to be as neat as possible.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8067 users online. 383 members and 7684 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                  X