Background/Polygraph Stage Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background/Polygraph Stage Question

I know all departments are different but I know some you guys have a lot of knowledge about this. I've completed initial testing, interview with background investigator, and oral board. I have a polygraph scheduled and then background investigation. My question is why some departments do poly before the background investigation. I figured the investigator would dig around and verify his findings with the poly. Any thoughts?

This answer might sound like a smart *** answer but...............
    Originally posted by KrazyKen View Post
    I. My question is why some departments do poly before the background investigation. I figured the investigator would dig around and verify his findings with the poly. Any thoughts?

Because it is their procedure.

I know some departments that use a poly as a "weed out" at the beginning of the process and some that use it at the very end...............just happens to be the way that department works.

If the department can weed out the iffy's they then can concentrate ( and expend more money) on the more viable applicants. Background Investigations are very labor intensive and thus costly...........

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyKen View Post
      I know all departments are different but I know some you guys have a lot of knowledge about this. I've completed initial testing, interview with background investigator, and oral board. I have a polygraph scheduled and then background investigation. My question is why some departments do poly before the background investigation. I figured the investigator would dig around and verify his findings with the poly. Any thoughts?
      Without going too far into the whole polygraph issue, I will tell you that in most cases the polygraph will weed out a good number of folks who the examiner need know nothing about before conducting the examination. Some general examples would include the following questions:

1. Have you ever used any illegal drugs while employed as a law enforcement officer or in a position of public trust?
      2. Have you ever committed a felony?
      3. Have you intentionally omitted factual or relevant information during your application?
      4. Have you ever committed a sexual assault, battery or similar offense?
      5. Have you ever committed a serious crime that was not detected?

See, those 5 questions require absolutely no advanced knowledge of the subject and in most cases would be an automatic disqualification. And in the end, each agency will dictate how they conduct their screening processes.
      Originally posted by SSD
      It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
      Originally posted by Iowa #1603
      And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

A complete background investigation is expensive. A polygraph is cheap.
          Originally posted by kontemplerande
          Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

As you've probably gathered by now, departments pretty well establish their own procedures, and sequences in the hiring process. Basically,it's what ever happens to work for them.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10475 users online. 386 members and 10089 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
            X