300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 21 too young

What is everyones view on hiring 21 year old's as a LEO? I am in the position of whether or not to go through the academy. I need some advice basically.

Age 21 is the minimum age at which many agencies can employ a sworn Officer. There are some exceptions. The decision to attend, and pay for a self sponsor academy is yours to make. Keep in mind, that attending such an academy often involves the expenditure of a considerable amount of time and money. Quite often, there are little or no realistic prospects of employment upon completion of the academy. Before plunking my hard earned cash down, before making the commitment(s) required to successfully complete an academy, I'd do some real time research concerning your prospects for employment. If at all possible, it's far better to attend the academy on the department's dime than your own. Your call. Best of luck in whatever decision you make.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
      Age 21 is the minimum age at which many agencies can employ a sworn Officer. There are some exceptions. The decision to attend, and pay for a self sponsor academy is yours to make. Keep in mind, that attending such an academy often involves the expenditure of a considerable amount of time and money. Quite often, there are little or no realistic prospects of employment upon completion of the academy. Before plunking my hard earned cash down, before making the commitment(s) required to successfully complete an academy, I'd do some real time research concerning your prospects for employment. If at all possible, it's far better to attend the academy on the department's dime than your own. Your call. Best of luck in whatever decision you make.
      +1

If you are asking if 21 is too young, it depends on the person. When I was in the Army, I knew 18 year olds that could and did handle huge amounts of responsibility. I've also met 30 + yr olds that acted like children. That is a very individual thing.
      Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by jamped1482 View Post
        What is everyones view on hiring 21 year old's as a LEO? I am in the position of whether or not to go through the academy. I need some advice basically.
        It really depends on the person. I was hired at 21. None of us can give you personal advice becasue no one here knows you. Is it possible to be hired at 21? Yes.

Comment

I'm 21 now with 2 years experience. It's possible, it's just all about the person.

Comment

Our academy certificate is only good for one year, i am pretty sure i want to do it. Thank you for the advice!

Originally posted by ChiefRuss
            One point to consider is how long your certification lasts after you’ve completed the academy. In some states, you will retain your certifiable status for as long as two years. If you are confident and you are well prepared to begin the interview process, IN ADVANCE of graduating, I say, full steam ahead. If you prepare properly, you may get picked up by an agency before you leave the academy.
            http://www.earnyourbadge.com

Comment

If you don't mind me asking what type of background did you have? Are you a patrol officer?

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
              It really depends on the person. I was hired at 21. None of us can give you personal advice becasue no one here knows you. Is it possible to be hired at 21? Yes.

Comment

If you don't mind me asking what type of background did you have? Are you a patrol officer?

Originally posted by Gringe View Post
                I'm 21 now with 2 years experience. It's possible, it's just all about the person.

Comment

I was hired at 21 and my creds were signed on my 22nd birthday.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
                  (")_(")
                  Copy and paste Bunny into your
                  signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

Originally posted by Zeitgeist View Post
                    +1

If you are asking if 21 is too young, it depends on the person. When I was in the Army, I knew 18 year olds that could and did handle huge amounts of responsibility. I've also met 30 + yr olds that acted like children. That is a very individual thing.
                    ^^^this^^^

21 is probably the general required age you are going to find nationwide for most departments. However, as far as 21 being too young, it's really case by case IMO. I started when I was 19, however I've been told multiple times that I'm mature beyond my age. With that said, I know some 35+ year old still living in the glory days that think they're still 18. So It all depends on your personality and priorities.

Comment

I'll also add that I've several depts tell me I too young, need more life experience, etc.
                      It sucks and is discouraging, having said that though, I look back at them and have to "half laugh" because I'm working LE now at 22.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
                      (")_(")
                      Copy and paste Bunny into your
                      signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

Did you have any military or college before you had gotten your job?

Originally posted by cjs34 View Post
                        ^^^this^^^

21 is probably the general required age you are going to find nationwide for most departments. However, as far as 21 being too young, it's really case by case IMO. I started when I was 19, however I've been told multiple times that I'm mature beyond my age. With that said, I know some 35+ year old still living in the glory days that think they're still 18. So It all depends on your personality and priorities.

Comment

LOL. Thats funny! What im worried about is our certifications are only good for a year and im spending almost 2 grand by putting myself through the academy.

Originally posted by CACBAND View Post
                          I'll also add that I've several depts tell me I too young, need more life experience, etc.
                          It sucks and is discouraging, having said that though, I look back at them and have to "half laugh" because I'm working LE now at 22.

Comment

Originally posted by jamped1482 View Post
                            Did you have any military or college before you had gotten your job?
                            2 year associate's degree in Police Science and completed a college internship with the agency that hired me. When I was hired I worked in the Office working with civil process work for a few months until the next academy was in session.

Comment

Wow that is awesome man! I have a year in Criminal Justice and have completed an internship with the Sheriffs Dept. Do you do patrol?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4073 users online. 242 members and 3831 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X