300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Dakota Highway Patrol Question

I have a question about the qualifications and requirements for the ND highway patrol. ( here is the Q&R page of their website: http://www.nd.gov/ndhp/about-us/empl...d-requirements )

One of the requirements listed states:

"Associate degree with two years' work experience with the public or a Bachelor's degree"

If anyone from ND, or anyone more in-the-know than me, can clarify this statement I'd appreciate it. I'm just unclear what constitutes "work experience with the public".

It seems a little too easy that just ANY public job could be in lieu of those extra two years schooling.

If so, I hate to be repetitive, but how do they gauge this? I worked as a pharmacy technician for 10 years prior to going back to school and thats a very different retail climate than say...Burger King, Sears, or a Toyota dealership. I may be over-thinking this.

Your specific answer will have to come from the NDHP. My "sense" is if your pharmacy job involved any degree of public contact, consultations, sales, etc, then that would qualify as the experience with the public the department is seeking. What it looks like is they will honor the Associate's Degree WITH the public contact.. A Batchelor's Degree apparently doesn't include that requirement. I would suggest you contact a Recruiter/Personnel Officer at NDHP for a more specific reply.

Comment

Originally posted by RottieLVR View Post
      One of the requirements listed states:

"Associate degree with two years' work experience with the public or a Bachelor's degree"

It seems a little too easy that just ANY public job could be in lieu of those extra two years schooling.
      This is an ABSOLUTE minimum standard for that agency.

No one is hired as an LEO who just barely meets the minimum qualifications.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

(F*** Off Cuz Ur Stupid)

Comment

Iowa, good point, don't I feel sheepish. baaaaa.

Phillip, that crossed my mind, but I won't be legal to apply anyway for about a year out yet and as such; I don't want to waste anybody's time. However, when the time get's closer I'm gonna be like a 13 year old girl.... alway's on the phone!!!

Comment

Iowa, good point, don't I feel sheepish. baaaaa.

Phillip, that crossed my mind, but I won't be legal to apply anyway for about a year out yet and as such; I don't want to waste anybody's time. However, when the time get's closer I'm gonna be like a 13 year old girl.... alway's on the phone!!!
          Sounds like a plan to me. That's how you find things out. Good luck Rottie.

Comment

RottieLVR,

Hope this helps. I am currently with the NDHP. I have a four year degree + 3 years of work experience. My degree is not in criminal justice and my work experience has nothing to do with law enforcement prior to me being hired. They are looking for highly qualified individuals that have a track record of making good decisions and working with people. You can have an associates degree and experience, but I would suggest experience in the Law Enforcement field if you only have an associates degree. A four year degree is very helpful and quality experience working with the public. If you are looking to get in with the NDHP start a relationship with Human Resources as well as ride alongs with Troopers. Currently there is a class that will graduate December 2011 and there are rumors there will be another hiring a year or so. They don't hire until they have at least 8 open spots. This year's class has 13 and that is usually high. Good luck.

Comment

What do you mean start a relationship with human resources? The reps in your office or...? I'm unable to ride along with your department as I live in MN otherwise, I'd love to

Comment

What do you mean start a relationship with human resources? The reps in your office or...? I'm unable to ride along with your department as I live in MN otherwise, I'd love to

The phone is your friend...

HR clerks are the ones that will push your papers to the proper places.
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

(F*** Off Cuz Ur Stupid)

Comment

I found it helpful in my pursuit to talk with human resources and get an idea of a timeline for hiring, testing, requirements, and locations that would be available. If you have a chance, come to ND and schedule a ride along in Fargo. Even scheduling a ride along in MN will help. It will help you in your interview (if you get that far). You can say you have seen what a HP goes through. Get your name in the "system." Let them know you are interested. Good luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10111 users online. 404 members and 9707 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X