Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How bad will this hurt my chances?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How bad will this hurt my chances?

    About a year ago I made a very foolish decision. I went to a concert with friends and got far too drunk. One friend suggested that we go to a strip club and in our intoxicated state we all agreed. The problem comes from when we purchased a private room. We were then told that if we tipped well enough we could accompany the girls back to their hotel for the after party. We did and as you can see by the word of the law the activities that transpired are technically solicitation/prostitution.

    My question is how bad will this hurt me in a BI? I do not plan to hide it and I have a 100% clean criminal record except for this one lapse in judgment.

  • #2
    The less than good decisions will have to be disclosed. Much will depend on an individual Department's view of your decisions in light of their hiring policies. I could guess, but in doing so, I'm not doing you a whole lot of good.

    Comment


    • #3
      I plan to disclose it fully. I am not proud of this decision but I will accept responsibility for it. From what I have seen on the forum it is much better to disclose it than it is to try and hide such poor decisions. I have a friend who used to do BI's for the state DOC and he said that disclosure was always your best bet.

      Comment


      • #4
        I can't say specifically for any department. I have several buddies who employed the services of a prostitute (usually overseas with the military) and have gotten law enforcement jobs. But all of them had several years between their actions and getting hired. Like anything else, the issue isn't really prostitution, it is poor decision making.

        My guess is that it will hurt you, but probably not an absolute killer. You may have to wait a couple years, but if you keep your life clean otherwise, this won't bar you from law enforcement.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Dingo990 View Post
          I can't say specifically for any department. I have several buddies who employed the services of a prostitute (usually overseas with the military) and have gotten law enforcement jobs. But all of them had several years between their actions and getting hired. Like anything else, the issue isn't really prostitution, it is poor decision making.

          My guess is that it will hurt you, but probably not an absolute killer. You may have to wait a couple years, but if you keep your life clean otherwise, this won't bar you from law enforcement.
          +1

          If this had happened 5 years ago I would have said, "don't even fret about it". Since it happened a year ago.... it will be a ding, but like others have said, I don't think it will be an instant DQ.
          Certified troll.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by em1pgh View Post
            About a year ago I made a very foolish decision. I went to a concert with friends and got far too drunk. One friend suggested that we go to a strip club and in our intoxicated state we all agreed. The problem comes from when we purchased a private room. We were then told that if we tipped well enough we could accompany the girls back to their hotel for the after party. We did and as you can see by the word of the law the activities that transpired are technically solicitation/prostitution.

            My question is how bad will this hurt me in a BI? I do not plan to hide it and I have a 100% clean criminal record except for this one lapse in judgment.
            Did you engage in a sexual act in exchange for money, alcohol, drugs etc? Don't answer online, just think about it. I see a major issue. Unfortunately, I've seen applicants get DQ'd due to this. I did not think it fair as the two that I have in mind were in the military overseas. This may be a problem given that it was 'about' a year ago, you attributed it to being drunk and there is alot of competition for jobs. Within 6 months of graduating from the Academy, I was working in Vice. Could you make vice cases? I don't want you to answer, just think about it. The city that I work in has just been named by the Feds as a major human trafficking hub so that is a very sore subject here. Alot of bad press etc.
            Last edited by Zeitgeist; 08-02-2011, 01:40 PM.
            Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

            Comment


            • #7
              I am hoping that my BI will see that this was a one time lapse in judgment. Not to sound impatient but I am not entirely sure what I would do for a couple years. I am working on the paperwork for the Air Force but they are taking forever with the officers boards.

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm glad this question was asked. So in your opinion, employing the services of a sex worker in Amsterdam over 5 years ago wouldn't be a major "ding"? What if you visited twice and did it both times? Couple that with it being location where you also used marijuana both visits.

                Sorry to hijack the thread

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Olskoolblue View Post
                  I'm glad this question was asked. So in your opinion, employing the services of a sex worker in Amsterdam over 5 years ago wouldn't be a major "ding"? What if you visited twice and did it both times? Couple that with it being location where you also used marijuana both visits.

                  Sorry to hijack the thread
                  As long as you murdered less than two people I wouldn't see a problem.
                  Certified troll.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by em1pgh View Post
                    I am hoping that my BI will see that this was a one time lapse in judgment. Not to sound impatient but I am not entirely sure what I would do for a couple years. I am working on the paperwork for the Air Force but they are taking forever with the officers boards.
                    Let me give you a litle primer on the functions of a Background Investigator. He/she does, essentially two things. The first is to determine whether or not an applicant meets the minimum standards for employment with a Dept. The second function is to determine whether or not the applicant meets the criteria for Disqualification with an Agency. Rarely, if ever, does the BI make a recommendation concerning an applicant. He merely gathers the required information and passes it on the others more highly placed in the hiring chain.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Olskoolblue View Post
                      I'm glad this question was asked. So in your opinion, employing the services of a sex worker in Amsterdam over 5 years ago wouldn't be a major "ding"? What if you visited twice and did it both times? Couple that with it being location where you also used marijuana both visits.

                      Sorry to hijack the thread
                      Considering that it was 5 + yrs ago and you only smoked weed? Haven't smoked since? That's not major in my opinion......
                      Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Zeitgeist View Post
                        Considering that it was 5 + yrs ago and you only smoked weed? Haven't smoked since? That's not major in my opinion......
                        Correct, haven't smoked since. Thanks for the reply. I wondered if they would view it as me trying to justify it by saying i was abroad in my explanation. I'm sure vs someone who hasn't, it doesn't help me though.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                          Let me give you a litle primer on the functions of a Background Investigator. He/she does, essentially two things. The first is to determine whether or not an applicant meets the minimum standards for employment with a Dept. The second function is to determine whether or not the applicant meets the criteria for Disqualification with an Agency.
                          Im not understanding this aspect. Isn`t it one in the same? Please clarify if you don't mind.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by LeoRespect View Post
                            Im not understanding this aspect. Isn`t it one in the same? Please clarify if you don't mind.
                            No, not at all. The first phase merely determines that the applicant meets the minimum standards for employment. Age, education, etc. The second phase is much more detailed, and delves into past work history, criminal/traffic violations if applicable. The actual investigation will include interviews with references provided, neighbors, former employers, possibly co-workers, and often people the applicant doesn't list as references on his applications. The investigation will also look into how the applicant handles personal finances, as in debts and oblligations. This would include, but not be limited to Bankruptcies, accounts written off, referred to collections. The second phase of the investigation is painstaking and thorough.The investigation is not limited to the areas I've mentioned, although they are typical. As with any in depth investigation, a Background Investigation takes the investigator wherever he/she needs to go.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by em1pgh View Post
                              About a year ago I made a very foolish decision. I went to a concert with friends and got far too drunk. One friend suggested that we go to a strip club and in our intoxicated state we all agreed. The problem comes from when we purchased a private room. We were then told that if we tipped well enough we could accompany the girls back to their hotel for the after party. We did and as you can see by the word of the law the activities that transpired are technically solicitation/prostitution.

                              My question is how bad will this hurt me in a BI? I do not plan to hide it and I have a 100% clean criminal record except for this one lapse in judgment.
                              In Salt lake City, they would DQ you. In Detroit, NYC, or DC, the stripper involved has probably done half the BI's under similar circumstances. Next question?
                              "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

                              Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

                              Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

                              Comment

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 8069 users online. 383 members and 7686 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                              Working...
                              X