Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ando531
    replied
    Feel free to PM me any questions as i've already gone through the Erie County Academy.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by rookiepete1990 View Post
    Thank you. I've been doing some research and it looks like most states do require normal depth perception (not that I am surprised by that.) I am considering getting a second opinion from another eye doctor, since this is something I just found out was wrong, and it came as a shock since my vision is 20/20. (I'll also have to consider relocating--the more I think about it, the less I want a part time job.)

I really appreciate all of the help. Thank you all for your time. I'm glad I found a forum where I can get straight forward answers, instead of sugar coating what it really is. It's nice to see experienced law enforcement professionals help out confused kids.
    No, thank YOU-----------------

Many people come onto this forum with an attitude that they are owed a job and the profession should bend over backward in order to accommodate them and their problems.

It is refreshing to deal with someone who understands that it is all about the job , not about the individual.

Good Luck.

Leave a comment:

• rookiepete1990
    replied
    Thank you. I've been doing some research and it looks like most states do require normal depth perception (not that I am surprised by that.) I am considering getting a second opinion from another eye doctor, since this is something I just found out was wrong, and it came as a shock since my vision is 20/20. (I'll also have to consider relocating--the more I think about it, the less I want a part time job.)

I really appreciate all of the help. Thank you all for your time. I'm glad I found a forum where I can get straight forward answers, instead of sugar coating what it really is. It's nice to see experienced law enforcement professionals help out confused kids.

Leave a comment:

• L-1
    replied
    These are California's vision standards: http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/Vision.pdf

Thery are very lengthy so I didn't spend a lot of time reading them. During a quick glance I only saw one reference to depth perception. Perhaps this may be what you are looking for.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    I still don't understand why the academy would accept you if you can not be certified as a full time officer.

It still doesn't make sense.

Leave a comment:

• vincelli
    replied
    You don't need to be hired from a Civil Service list for a part-time slot, but I'd have to say that that's the wrong way for you to go.

You're not going to gain any type of retirement benefit from a part-time slot (at least as far as I know you have to be full-time), and so you'll eventually be forced to seek a different State which allows your depth perception issue (if there is one; this I honestly have no idea either way), and even if that other State recognizes the NY Academy, you'll still be forced to go through a partial academy, and possibly have to pass a Cert Test for that State.

This is if you can even work part-time in NYS with said depth perception issue (which is a question I honestly can't answer).

If you're looking at LE as a career, then I would recommend trying to find a State in which you can medically qualify and focus on getting hired, doing the Academy there, as opposed to the "maybes" you'll run into if you stay focused on NYS.

If you're just looking to do LE as part-time in addition to another career, then it may be an option, as long as you can qualify for part-time with the depth perception issue. To be honest, it doesn't make sense to me that the medical requirements for part-time would be any different than those for full-time; I would guess they are the same, but that's something you'll have to check. I can tell you that before paying any type of tuition for this Academy, I would want to see it in black and white from NYS itself that you can in fact work part-time with your medical conditions.

Another option you might check into is taking a look at other LEO oriented positions such as Corrections, Probation, or Parole. It's possible that the medical requirements may be different (although, once again, I don't personally know).

Good luck.

-V

Leave a comment:

• rookiepete1990
    replied
    If I was only interested in a part time position in New York, would I still have to be on a Civil Service list? I'm already disqualified from ever having a full time position here because of my eyes, so my options are now to stay in New York, knowing I could never advance from a part time position, or find a state and a department that does not require a depth perception component. I'm really sorry about all of the questions...it's just a really big decision for me to have to make, and I want to do whatever I can to choose the right future for myself.

Leave a comment:

• vincelli
    replied
    Is it typical to have candidates foot the bill for tuition like that?
    No. In fact, this and whatever is going on in Erie County is the first I've ever heard of this in NYS.

Keep in mind that I'm not "all-knowing", just saying I've had experience throughout the State and in that experience it's very rare. In my own Academy Class, an Academy Brother was sponsored part-time; he received no salary during the Academy, but the Academy itself was paid for by the sponsoring Agency. He was picked-up full-time before his Cert was up, but he already had a couple feet in the door before attending the Academy.

This thread is the first time I've heard of an individual being able to pay their own way through a NYS Academy, and as previously said, you must still be reacheable on a Civil Service List for full-time slots.

-V

Leave a comment:

• rookiepete1990
    replied
    Is it typical to have candidates foot the bill for tuition like that?

Leave a comment:

• vincelli
    replied
    Allegedly, our is going though the application process (agility test, oral boards, health screening, BI...) and out of about 100 applicants, around 30 are "accepted." The chosen ones foot the $6000 bill, and supposedly get a complete basic police training course (which leads to employment either full or part time.) I've also been told the certificate is only good for a year, and once a year is past, I would have to retake the course. I'm not sure if I am ready to spend that kind of money and take that gamble, just for a chance to stay home. It might be time to look into another part of the country, or at least the state. Honestly, I'm new to this whole LE application process in general, so it wouldn't be a surprise if I got my information incorrect, or was easily misled.

http://www.sheriff.us/sheriff/academyfaq.htm
    http://www.sheriff.us/sheriff/academy.htm

it appears as if the academy I am applying to is entirely self sponsor. Then again, I am probably missing something. Thank you so much for all your help, once again.
    Ok, this is a valid program/actual NY Academy. What they are doing is sponsoring you through the Academy (as is required by NYS), but having you foot the bill for the tuition.

Once you complete the Academy, you have 2 years to get hired (at least part-time) in order to retain your Cert. (this is listed at the bottom, and my memory was correct).

Sounds like they are offering a chance for a "sortof" self-sponsor, but you are still being sponsored as opposed to just going to a college and saying "I want to go through the Academy...".

Still waiting for more info on what's going on in Erie County.

-V

EDIT: And keep in mind that this is still worthless for any full-time position if you are unable to score high enough to be reacheable on the Civil Service List. There is no way around that in NYS regardless of whether you have the Cert, are a real-life Jack Bauer, or Chuck Norris himself.
    Last edited by vincelli; 06-02-2011, 11:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rookiepete1990
    replied
    Allegedly, our is going though the application process (agility test, oral boards, health screening, BI...) and out of about 100 applicants, around 30 are "accepted." The chosen ones foot the $6000 bill, and supposedly get a complete basic police training course (which leads to employment either full or part time.) I've also been told the certificate is only good for a year, and once a year is past, I would have to retake the course. I'm not sure if I am ready to spend that kind of money and take that gamble, just for a chance to stay home. It might be time to look into another part of the country, or at least the state. Honestly, I'm new to this whole LE application process in general, so it wouldn't be a surprise if I got my information incorrect, or was easily misled.

http://www.sheriff.us/sheriff/academyfaq.htm
    http://www.sheriff.us/sheriff/academy.htm

it appears as if the academy I am applying to is entirely self sponsor. Then again, I am probably missing something. Thank you so much for all your help, once again.

Leave a comment:

• vincelli
    replied
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    It's funny...............I got spanked on some information I gave on another forum.............about the department I just retired from.....It seems they have changed a few things in the FIVE MONTHS I have been gone!!!!!!!

The legislature tried last session to create a self sponsor type system in Iowa.........................The backlash from the certified officers was horrendous-----------The funny thing was the bill was authored by a retired State Trooper who is in the legislature now.
    The idea didn't fly.........................
    Yeah, I'm still hesitant to say this is kosher until I get some kind of verification that BMP Cert is being granted. Without that BMP Cert you are simply out in the cold.

Other "programs" I've heard of tell the student "once you get hired, your Agency can just give you this additional training and you're all set". What they DON'T tell them is that no Agency can do this because the Academy is integrated (i.e. our firearms wasn't a seperate dystinct X-week block of training, certain days were "range" days throughout a good portion of the entire Academy).

The program I received a link to is actually offering a specific "Phase 2" containing just the training "Phase 1" skipped, so on the face it seems viable, but unless the State confers actual NYS BMP Certification it's useless. Conferring BMP Cert is not up to any college or university; has to come from the State.

Just want to know if this has been worked-out.

-V

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by vincelli View Post
    I just received an email from a NY non-LEO stating that Erie County is now using a type of self-sponsor Academy in which self-sponsors receive 80% of training (almost everything except firearms), and that they get some kind of "Phase 1" certificate from DCJS; then, if they are hired, they can attend a "Phase 2" class for firearms, etc.

Waiting to hear back from him on whether he knows anyone who has received actual NYS BMP Certification through this process.

First I've heard of it, and the article he linked makes it sound like this is a new thing.

Time for me to take a step back and say I may be completely wrong, or things may have changed. Would like confirmation that the State has actually granted BMP Certification regarding this before I say "go for it", as that has always been the problem with trying to get NYS Certified on your own (the State never granted actual BMP certification).

Still, something to look into.

-V
    It's funny...............I got spanked on some information I gave on another forum.............about the department I just retired from.....It seems they have changed a few things in the FIVE MONTHS I have been gone!!!!!!!

The legislature tried last session to create a self sponsor type system in Iowa.........................The backlash from the certified officers was horrendous-----------The funny thing was the bill was authored by a retired State Trooper who is in the legislature now.
    The idea didn't fly.........................

Leave a comment:

• vincelli
    replied
    I just received an email from a NY non-LEO stating that Erie County is now using a type of self-sponsor Academy in which self-sponsors receive 80% of training (almost everything except firearms), and that they get some kind of "Phase 1" certificate from DCJS; then, if they are hired, they can attend a "Phase 2" class for firearms, etc.

Waiting to hear back from him on whether he knows anyone who has received actual NYS BMP Certification through this process.

First I've heard of it, and the article he linked makes it sound like this is a new thing.

Time for me to take a step back and say I may be completely wrong, or things may have changed. Would like confirmation that the State has actually granted BMP Certification regarding this before I say "go for it", as that has always been the problem with trying to get NYS Certified on your own (the State never granted actual BMP certification).

Still, something to look into.

-V

Leave a comment:

• rookiepete1990
    replied
    Wow. Thank you all so much for your help. It does good to ask opinions of the people who know what they are talking about. I really appreciate it!!

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7105 users online. 342 members and 6763 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X