300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rookiepete1990 View Post
    Is it typical to have candidates foot the bill for tuition like that?
    No. In fact, this and whatever is going on in Erie County is the first I've ever heard of this in NYS.

Keep in mind that I'm not "all-knowing", just saying I've had experience throughout the State and in that experience it's very rare. In my own Academy Class, an Academy Brother was sponsored part-time; he received no salary during the Academy, but the Academy itself was paid for by the sponsoring Agency. He was picked-up full-time before his Cert was up, but he already had a couple feet in the door before attending the Academy.

This thread is the first time I've heard of an individual being able to pay their own way through a NYS Academy, and as previously said, you must still be reacheable on a Civil Service List for full-time slots.

-V

Comment

If I was only interested in a part time position in New York, would I still have to be on a Civil Service list? I'm already disqualified from ever having a full time position here because of my eyes, so my options are now to stay in New York, knowing I could never advance from a part time position, or find a state and a department that does not require a depth perception component. I'm really sorry about all of the questions...it's just a really big decision for me to have to make, and I want to do whatever I can to choose the right future for myself.

Comment

You don't need to be hired from a Civil Service list for a part-time slot, but I'd have to say that that's the wrong way for you to go.

You're not going to gain any type of retirement benefit from a part-time slot (at least as far as I know you have to be full-time), and so you'll eventually be forced to seek a different State which allows your depth perception issue (if there is one; this I honestly have no idea either way), and even if that other State recognizes the NY Academy, you'll still be forced to go through a partial academy, and possibly have to pass a Cert Test for that State.

This is if you can even work part-time in NYS with said depth perception issue (which is a question I honestly can't answer).

If you're looking at LE as a career, then I would recommend trying to find a State in which you can medically qualify and focus on getting hired, doing the Academy there, as opposed to the "maybes" you'll run into if you stay focused on NYS.

If you're just looking to do LE as part-time in addition to another career, then it may be an option, as long as you can qualify for part-time with the depth perception issue. To be honest, it doesn't make sense to me that the medical requirements for part-time would be any different than those for full-time; I would guess they are the same, but that's something you'll have to check. I can tell you that before paying any type of tuition for this Academy, I would want to see it in black and white from NYS itself that you can in fact work part-time with your medical conditions.

Another option you might check into is taking a look at other LEO oriented positions such as Corrections, Probation, or Parole. It's possible that the medical requirements may be different (although, once again, I don't personally know).

Good luck.

-V

Comment

I still don't understand why the academy would accept you if you can not be certified as a full time officer.

It still doesn't make sense.
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

These are California's vision standards: http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/Vision.pdf

Thery are very lengthy so I didn't spend a lot of time reading them. During a quick glance I only saw one reference to depth perception. Perhaps this may be what you are looking for.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Thank you. I've been doing some research and it looks like most states do require normal depth perception (not that I am surprised by that.) I am considering getting a second opinion from another eye doctor, since this is something I just found out was wrong, and it came as a shock since my vision is 20/20. (I'll also have to consider relocating--the more I think about it, the less I want a part time job.)

I really appreciate all of the help. Thank you all for your time. I'm glad I found a forum where I can get straight forward answers, instead of sugar coating what it really is. It's nice to see experienced law enforcement professionals help out confused kids.

Comment

Originally posted by rookiepete1990 View Post
                Thank you. I've been doing some research and it looks like most states do require normal depth perception (not that I am surprised by that.) I am considering getting a second opinion from another eye doctor, since this is something I just found out was wrong, and it came as a shock since my vision is 20/20. (I'll also have to consider relocating--the more I think about it, the less I want a part time job.)

I really appreciate all of the help. Thank you all for your time. I'm glad I found a forum where I can get straight forward answers, instead of sugar coating what it really is. It's nice to see experienced law enforcement professionals help out confused kids.
                No, thank YOU-----------------

Many people come onto this forum with an attitude that they are owed a job and the profession should bend over backward in order to accommodate them and their problems.

It is refreshing to deal with someone who understands that it is all about the job , not about the individual.

Good Luck.
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Feel free to PM me any questions as i've already gone through the Erie County Academy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8333 users online. 419 members and 7914 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X