300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to start a LE career

I just completed my Freshman year of college and am on track, well as on track as you can be after your first year, to graduate with a BA in Political Science, also during my junior or senior year, I play to do an internship for a semester at a federal agency. Law enforcement has always been something that has interested me. It's hard to nail down why but knowing that I could make more money doing something boring working a campaign or something like that with a poli sci degree, I want to give a rewarding LE career a try. My problem is, I don't have a clue where to try to get hired after I graduate. Ultimately I would love to be a federal LEO someday but I think it may be a good idea to start local or state to get some experience and bolster my resume before trying to get a gig on the federal level. For those who are or have been state troopers, is that a good starting point for someone who wants to be a federal LEO? I've also looked at positions such as a FAM or HSI SA or perhaps US Park Police as starting points. Basically I suppose I'm looking for some advice from guys who have been through the process and can recommend a good starting point for my career. Thanks for the help

You start your career wherever you can get hired.

That is not a smart *** answer.......................the economy is crap, jobs are sparse, and it normally takes YEARS of applying along with stellar qualifications to get hired as a Law Enforcement officer in the United States.

You are in the perfect place (college) to research the career................to read this forum from start to finish and get a feeling for the way things are going right now................and to decide if you have the drive and commitment it is going to take to become a cop.

My suggestion would be to read..........................starting here.
    http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...-Getting-Hired
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

In order to be considered a "most qualified" applicant, most federal LE agencies require a minimum of 3 years of full-time work experience. This shows the agency that you are potentially responsible enough to get up every morning and show up for work. Other than that, most federal LE agencies do not require prior law enforcement experience. IMO, however, I would strongly suggest spending a few years with a state or local LE agency. I feel you gain a lot of experience (officer safety, communication skills, reading people, etc.) that will be invaluable to you in a career in federal law enforcement. If you do consider starting your career with a federal uniformed agency (US Park Police, Secret Service Uniformed Division, Federal Protective Service, etc.) you most likely won't gain an equal amount of experience, but at least you'd start building time toward your federal retirement... definitely something worth considering. You could eventually apply to 1811 (criminal investigator) positions after a few years with one of these agencies.
      "...the complacency of fools will destroy them." Proverbs 1:32

Comment

Most people don't consider the state police to be a stepping stone job. Like Iowa said, you start with whoever offers you a job.

Comment

How hard is it to get a gig with the US Park Police or Federal Protective service right out of college? Not that I don't want to pay my dues but I would love to start out on the federal level.

Comment

Theres no "paying your dues" regarding what department you start with. If you want to be a Fed, then apply. There is no requirement that you need to start at a local PD or Sheriff. There is no "working your way up to the Feds". They all have entry level positions. If you want to be a Fed, then start there.

Comment

Originally posted by JLesinski View Post
              How hard is it to get a gig with the US Park Police or Federal Protective service right out of college? Not that I don't want to pay my dues but I would love to start out on the federal level.
              http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...es-Park-Police
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingPig1 View Post
                Theres no "paying your dues" regarding what department you start with. If you want to be a Fed, then apply. There is no requirement that you need to start at a local PD or Sheriff. There is no "working your way up to the Feds". They all have entry level positions. If you want to be a Fed, then start there.
                Ok, I've heard that generally fed positions are a lot easier to obtain with experience with a local/state PD

@Iowa, thanks for the link

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6333 users online. 345 members and 5988 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X