Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those that went into corrections, knowing that ultimately you wanted to be a P.O.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those that went into corrections, knowing that ultimately you wanted to be a P.O.

I've applied for two corrections officer positions with different departments in the area, however I know that my main focus is to ultimately become a sworn police officer.

I feel like if/when I interview for a corrections position, I'll seem like I'm not dedicated/serious about the job if it's not what I want to do until I retire and therefore will make it likely that they'll pass me over. I really want the experience and think it would give me a more solid background for becoming a police officer. I figure I'll spend 2-3 years in corrections before moving on (but of course these numbers are tentative).

Any advice or input?
    Last edited by Ignite; 05-29-2011, 04:48 PM.

Last edited by Buffaloboy; 05-31-2011, 06:11 PM.
    Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Comment

What are you talking about?... You have a very odd definition of "bad mouthing" if you're convinced that is what I've done/am doing.

I'd prefer not to talk to you because you've been confrontational from the get go and all I'm doing is looking for people who have been in my position to share their guidance. If you have nothing constructive to say, then venture to other threads where you can make an honest contribution.

P.S. I'm not on anxiety/depression meds. I used a sample from the doc when I was 16, I think, and never even filled a prescription (and haven't seen a psychiatrist since then). But feel free to pull up more irrelevant "facts" about me if that's how you like to spend your time.
      Last edited by Ignite; 05-29-2011, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignite View Post
        I've applied for two corrections officer positions with different departments in the area, however I know that my main focus is to ultimately become a sworn police officer.

I feel like if/when I interview for a corrections position, I'll seem like I'm not dedicated/serious about the job if it's not what I want to do until I retire and therefore will make it likely that they'll pass me over. I really want the experience and think it would give me a more solid background for becoming a police officer. I figure I'll spend 2-3 years in corrections before moving on (but of course these numbers are tentative).

Any advice or input?
        If it is with a Sheriff's office, then many times it is expected that the majority of new hires long term goals are to be a police officer...make it known up front that you have goals and what they are...it will work out better for you in the long run.

I spent 2 years in corrections...and,to be honest, it produces a different (better) type of officer then someone that never worked in the jail...imho.

Comment

Cool, thanks TJ.

Comment

Last edited by Buffaloboy; 05-31-2011, 06:12 PM.
            Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Comment

I'm not going to argue my history with someone who doesn't know me, so I'll lay down a couple of quick points in response to your post and then I'm going to move on from this conversation.

- I have no problem disclosing my use of a sample medication when I was a kid... What that has to do with this thread, I have no clue.

- I just took my first written/fitness test this past Friday. Most Washington state departments use one agency to do their written/physical testing and then your results are forwarded to the departments you choose from their list to apply with. So, if you're tracking, there are no "calls back" until that step is complete. Only other department I've applied with was in Tennessee but I withdrew before my test because I moved to Washington. I don't know why I'm bothering to explain this.

- When have I ever said or hinted at corrections being a crappy field? That's absurd.

Now that this thread is royally derailed, let's talk about football or something.
              Last edited by Ignite; 05-29-2011, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Any advice or input?

I took a job in Corrections never planning on retiring from Corrections.

I later went in to police work---------------------and due to life happening ----went back and ended up retiring from Corrections.

Probably 80% of the applicants in Corrections these days are applying in order to gain some experience (and waiting out the crappy economy) until they can get police jobs,. How do I know this------------------------I interviewed many applicants THEN supervised them until they either got a police job----or gave up and realized that Corrections wasn't so bad after all.

I think I told you before, and if I didn't I will now.............................................do n't be afraid of telling them in the interview that your goal is police work------------------------it is not at all unusual and the supervisors would appreciate to know your goals.
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Awesome. Thanks, Iowa.

Comment

When I applied for the jail for the department I currently work at, I told the jail commander my intentions. I was polite but blunt and when asked why I wanted to work for the jail, I replied that I wanted to gain experience in Law Enforcement by starting in corrections but my ultimate goal was to become a Deputy and I was going to use his (the jail commanders) facility to achieve that goal.

I scored a 98% on my oral board that day only being 20 years old. I don't know if someone's scored that high since.

Comment

Originally posted by mookster View Post
                      When I applied for the jail for the department I currently work at, I told the jail commander my intentions. I was polite but blunt and when asked why I wanted to work for the jail, I replied that I wanted to gain experience in Law Enforcement by starting in corrections but my ultimate goal was to become a Deputy and I was going to use his (the jail commanders) facility to achieve that goal.

I scored a 98% on my oral board that day only being 20 years old. I don't know if someone's scored that high since.
                      That's cool... Did you receive/take the job? How was your experience if so?
                      Last edited by Ignite; 05-31-2011, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Just be careful that you don't become a lazy pile of crap like so many that I work with.

Comment

I spent 4.5 years in a detention officer position before becoming a police officer with the same agency. I was hired with the explicit goal of becoming a police officer later on. Everyone knew, understood, and appreciated that. DO's in city and county jails are commonly known as stepping stone positions to law enforcement. It's a great way to get a little experience. It gave me a working knowledge of things like use of force, report writing, record keeping, dealing with adam henrys, chain of command, etc. Our hiring process for DO is nearly identical to that of police officer. There is typically more turnover in DO jobs, so the openings are more abundant. Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by KJB View Post
                            Just be careful that you don't become a lazy pile of crap like so many that I work with.
                            Haha. Not I, sir...

Originally posted by TK5 View Post
                            I spent 4.5 years in a detention officer position before becoming a police officer with the same agency. I was hired with the explicit goal of becoming a police officer later on. Everyone knew, understood, and appreciated that. DO's in city and county jails are commonly known as stepping stone positions to law enforcement. It's a great way to get a little experience. It gave me a working knowledge of things like use of force, report writing, record keeping, dealing with adam henrys, chain of command, etc. Our hiring process for DO is nearly identical to that of police officer. There is typically more turnover in DO jobs, so the openings are more abundant. Best of luck.
                            Thanks!

Comment

That's cool... Did you receive/take the job? How was your experience if so?
                              I was offered the job. Cool thing about it was, I had already tested for Deputy and it was recommended I begin my career in the jail; however, I still had to complete the jails testing process and pass. The hiring personnel for the office was so confident that I would pass the all testing she gave me my start date for the jail before I had my testing date.

Keep in mind, prior to any of this I had done several years of Explorer Scout volunteering with my agency so they knew me pretty well which helped getting hired period. The time I spent working in the jail was the best thing I could have done prior to working the streets. At the time I worked I the jail I wanted to work patrol terribly and I didn't think that the best thing for me was to be in the jail, but looking back I see how it helped shape and mold me as well as introduce me to working with the criminal element and surviving amongst sharks. I now feel strongly that almost everyone should be required to work the jails for at least a year before hitting the streets.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6491 users online. 347 members and 6144 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X