300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laid off/fired concern......

Recently at my last job I was let go for rather a vague reason. I was just told I was "let go" and that day was my last day. They gave me my vacation and sick pay check. They never told me if I was offically laid off or fired. I by far feel it was a lay off due to lack of the departments production. My boss said I could still use him as a referance. I did not get any paper work when I was let go but a vacation pay check. I know also they are going to lay off people in other departments too. It seemed to them they could not afford me anymore (eventhough they never said that). They said my productions was a little low, but my production percentages were higher than everyone else's on our report. I'm going to start the proces to get hired by either LAPD or Santa Ana PD. I don't want to put fired since this may not be the case. Would it be just wise to explain what had happened since this is not technically a job termination. Part of it I feel they sort of wanted me to bend the truth to a few clients. I didn't do this since this obviously is not my style. Any help is truly appreciated.

Call your former employer and asked why they let you go. Then again employers don't usually tell you to pack your s*** with out a reason.
    "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
    I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

Did you ask your boss for a specific reason why you no longer work there? That would be the best place to get the information you are seeking, instead of asking on this board. You will have to explain to a BI why you aren't working there anymore, and its better to have facts than to quess.

Covman

Comment

Originally posted by isellcaddys View Post
        Recently at my last job I was let go for rather a vague reason. I was just told I was "let go" that means terminated/fired and that day was my last day. They gave me my vacation and sick paycheck. They never told me if I was officially laid off did they tell you that you were being laid off and that you could come back? If not you were terminated or fired. I by far feel it was a lay off it was a termination due to lack of the departments production. My boss said I could still use him as a reference. I did not get any paperwork when I was let go but a vacation paycheck. I know also they are going to lay off people in other departments too. It seemed to them they could not afford me anymore (even though they never said that). They said my production was a little low, but my production percentage's were higher than everyone else's on our report. I'm going to start the process to get hired by either LAPD or Santa Ana PD. I don't want to put fired since this may not be the case. Would it be wise to explain what had happened since this is not technically a job termination. Part of it I feel they sort of wanted me to bend the truth to a few clients. I didn't do this since this obviously is not my style. Any help is truly appreciated.
        I'm sorry you lost your job but it sounds like you were terminated for a number of reason's that the department did not want to state. If you tell future department's that you apply for that you didn't know or that you were laid off, it will show integrity issue's.

Like I said, I'm sorry you lost your job but I don't sugarcoat my post's

p.s. work on your spelling and sentence structure. It is very important in report writing.
        Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Comment

Call them and ask. If you are asking us if you were laid-off or terminated then you probably already know the answer and are trying to walk a thin line to make your application look better.

Comment

Recently at my last job I was let go for rather a vague reason. I was just told I was "let go" and that day was my last day. .
            I just plain have never heard of a company laying a person off without due notice. It doesn't happen that way.

The company would have at least posted a layoff notice and more likely the names of the employees that will be effected by the layoff.
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I'm confused about why you didn't ask these questions to your employer.

I mean, if it looked like I was being laid off instead of fired, I'd ask my Chief or HR manager "Am I eligible for re-hire?" "If someone else leaves in the future, will I get my job back?" things like that. If the answer to those questions are no, then you were probably fired.

Comment

And how old are we? Sorry, but if you didn't ask and accepted the fact that you were "let go", then thats your fault. Sorry to sound harsh, but it you are now asking what to do for a LE position and didn't when this all went down, don't you think it may be a little too late? Sure a lot of people get fired and can use former employers as a reference. Happens daily. It just doesn't jive that you "don't know why"...

So yeah, I'd go with you being fired.
                "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo990 View Post
                  I'm confused about why you didn't ask these questions to your employer.

I mean, if it looked like I was being laid off instead of fired, I'd ask my Chief or HR manager "Am I eligible for re-hire?" "If someone else leaves in the future, will I get my job back?" things like that. If the answer to those questions are no, then you were probably fired.
                  Why did you not ask these questions? OK, here it is. You're going to have to be totally truthful on the work history portion of your Personal History Statement. It sounds to me as if you were terminated. You will have to fully explain the situation on your application, and I suggest you be totally forthcoming concerning the matter.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your input. I did ask my boss what was the main reason and was this a termination. She simply ignored my question. I will contact corporate HR to see what the reason was and if I am eligible for re-hire. But as I said at the bottom of my thread I feel it was an integrity issue. I didn't want to lie to clients since my industry is under scrutiny. When it does come down to clarifying this with my BI I'll let him know. Especially if my former HR tells me I was terminated. Wouldn't it be best to let him know this as to what may have been the basis for this situation?
                    Last edited by isellcaddys; 05-31-2011, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Wouldn't it be best to let him know this as to what may have been the basis for this situation?
                      You give the BI the best information you can. If that information is incomplete..............you need to let the BI know the reason it is incomplete. Most investigators understand this & will make do.
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Unless I missed it, your profile doesn't actually list what your profession is/was. If you're not comfortable sharing that here, that's perfectly OK. I was just a little intrigued with the "integrity issue" you mentioned. People are fired/terminated from employment every day, and for a variety of reasons. If for some reason your corporate HR isn't forthcoming as to why you were let go, or whether or not you'd be rehired, I suggest you show your cause for leaving as a termination. You'll be given ample opportunity to explain the details of the situation at some point in your process. When dealing with BI's keep in mind that they gather facts.More often than not, they do not make recommendations pro or con, on an applicant. These decisions are made further up the hiring chain. Simple honesty will be your best friend here. Good luck in your efforts.

Comment

@ PhilipCal- My mistake I thought my profile had my position. I was an admissions representative at a for profit post-econdary college. As you may know we in So Cal are under scrutiny once again. I'll have to explain to my BI it may have been an integrity issue, we'll see what happens. I didn't want to lie to clients/students since my industry is under scrutiny. Almost every other day on the internet you hear how these schools are being investigated. Thanks everyone for your assistance.

Comment

There are different ways to be fired, not all of them inherently bad. If you were a salesman who just couldn't sell, that does not mean you will be blackballed from a police job. If you were embezzling, failed to come to work, etc., that might be a problem. If, for example, you got fired for not meeting your sales numbers, and you are up front about it, especially if you also decided making your living on a commission was a bad choice for you, I really do not see an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by jnhdrac View Post
                              There are different ways to be fired, not all of them inherently bad. If you were a salesman who just couldn't sell, that does not mean you will be blackballed from a police job. If you were embezzling, failed to come to work, etc., that might be a problem. If, for example, you got fired for not meeting your sales numbers, and you are up front about it, especially if you also decided making your living on a commission was a bad choice for you, I really do not see an issue.
                              This is an excellent post. Measure yourself and your situation objectively against what's been posted here. Proceed (honestly) accordingly.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7829 users online. 454 members and 7375 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X