300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oral board question

Hello all, I have always heard that you should get a file together to give to the oral board panel that showcases some of you accomplishments. I have never done this before, but I think I might try on the next oral board. What kinds of things should be in this file. So far I have a letter of recommendation from my chief and an email from my Commander commending me on the way I handle a particularly strange/difficult call. What else?? Training certificates?? College Transcripts??
    “Fear not the night.

Fear that which walks the night.

And I am that which walks the night.

But only evil need fear me…

and gentle souls sleep safe in their beds…

because I walk the night.”

It would have no bearing on any oral board I have ever participated in.

We score the oral on a pre-selected set of questions that every applicant we interview is asked. Nothing else is evaluated at this point of the hiring process.

I would send all of the above in with the original application.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

My .02 is nope. The last thing I want is anyone passing out copies of anything when I've asked you to sit for an interview.

You, haircut, shave, suit, tie, shined shoes, good manners and straight answers.
      "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

There is always the question, "Do you have anything else you would like to add?" usually occuring near the end. At that point it is permissable to say, "I have earned the following awards and accomplishments (relevant to the position of course), and have brought copies if you would like to see them."

In agreement with those above regarding not passing anything out, but having sat in on oral boards it does add an air of authenticity to a claim, especially if the award is noteworthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
          It would have no bearing on any oral board I have ever participated in.

We score the oral on a pre-selected set of questions that every applicant we interview is asked. Nothing else is evaluated at this point of the hiring process.

I would send all of the above in with the original application.
          What if the application is filled out 100% online. At what point do you send that stuff in??
          “Fear not the night.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureCop1 View Post
            What if the application is filled out 100% online. At what point do you send that stuff in??

Anytime then............if it is in the packet that the interviewer get, they will review it............The US mail works pretty good.

(not trying to sound like a smart ***)

I am just saying that anything brought to an interview is most likely going to be ignored in the situations I have been involved in.
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Thanks Iowa. I will just send it to the PD.
              “Fear not the night.

Comment

I agree with the above statements. If you being me something at an interview that I did not ask for then you clearly don't follow instructions. You might as well hand me whatever documents you have at the interview and say, "hey, throw this away for me."

Comment

I agree with my colleagues.

Comment

Future,

Most civil service agencies use a rigidly structured testing process to ensure all applicants are evaluated fairly according to the same criteria.

The application merely determines whether you possess the minimum qualifications necessary for admission to the testing process and nothing more.

The written and oral are scored based on your answers to questions that measure you ability to perform the duties of the job.

When you try to gain extra points by submitting certificates, letters of reference, commendations, etc., you are asking to be scored in a manner that is different from all the other candidates. The opens up the employer to EEO and discrimination complaints because doing so would be giving you an unfair advantage over other applicants. In addition, there are so many different life and work experiences that it is impossible to assign valid point values to each one. I mean really, how many extra points is a letter from your chief, or an email from your commander, or a college transcript supposed to be worth against another applicant who consistently gave correct answers to the written and oral test questions?
                    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5055 users online. 171 members and 4884 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X